American Legion Magazine article on DC

Owe my dad the Korea War vet one for telling me. Get my hands on the "hard copy" this weekend. Posting for anyone interest and comments. For the DCI (which is mention) crowd I'll add that Indianapolis is the AL headquesters site.

American Legion Article

"Dean Acheson"? Dean Acheson was President Truman's Secretary of State who helped mold United States military policy, designed the post-World War II Marshall Plan and helped create NATO.

We all know what was meant, but this is in some way kind of indicative of why the future of drum corps went one way and the veterans organizations went another.

Owe my dad the Korea War vet one for telling me. Get my hands on the "hard copy" this weekend. Posting for anyone interest and comments. For the DCI (which is mention) crowd I'll add that Indianapolis is the AL headquesters site.

American Legion Article

Jim, I don't know if your dad saved the old LEGION magazine from back in the day, but there was a very famous cover in 1977 or 78 featuring the American section of BAC. It was a glossy full color photo, and at that time Boston had a huge section (maybe ten members?). I've been looking for it for yewars. If he has it, I would gladly pay $$ for it. Let me know..

Craig

Jim, I don't know if your dad saved the old LEGION magazine from back in the day, but there was a very famous cover in 1977 or 78 featuring the American section of BAC. It was a glossy full color photo, and at that time Boston had a huge section (maybe ten members?). I've been looking for it for yewars. If he has it, I would gladly pay $$ for it. Let me know..

Craig

Afraid not Craig. I do have the article on the 1978 Convention in New Orleans (somewhere :doh: ). Westshoremen and LI Kingsmen won that year and two nice pics of the corps doing their routines are included......

Too bad the corps names are switched.... :sad: And it wasn't that the captions are with the wrong pics. Pic of WSM was a concert shot and Kingsmen pic was in the middle of doing drill. Sure as Hades the Kingsmen pic had something like "This intricate move helped the Westshoremen....". OW!!!

Unfortunately the article also incorrectly states that the field contest was eliminated in 1973, making it sound like 1972 was the final year for the Legion championship.

Well, the 1973 Legion drum & bugle corps championship wasn't held (because the convention was held in Honolulu), but it came back in '74, and went on through 1980.

• Like 1

Edit: Misread last night (it was late and I looked too quick) and thought Bob Zinko wrote the article... made my original post here useless...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The names and numbers of drum corps are foreign to many in mainstream journalism. It ALWAYS has been that way. I have tons of examples of articles (dating back to the 1920s)

which covered drum corps in "everyday" newspapers, and you wouldn't believe the end results. The people who read said article took it as gospel truth, but those with more knowledge

on the subject know better.

You would just hope that the Legion (that basically started the whole drum corps game) would have gotten things a bit more on target.

We all know what was meant, but this is in some way kind of indicative of why the future of drum corps went one way and the veterans organizations went another.

from Alexa

Site Information for legion.org

Traffic Rank in US: 23,577

Site Information for dci.org

Traffic Rank in US: 41,474

Site Information for wgi.org

Traffic Rank in US: 91,418

. . .perhaps we could be happy that drum corps is being showcased at least a bit outside of the WGI/BOA box it currently lives in. Yes, it has its mistakes, but I think you can probably agree that exposing more people to the activity is a good thing.

Craig

Craig, the contact info for the American Legion is as follows:

National HQ (317)630-1200

700 N. Pennsylvania St.

Indianapolis, IN 46204

I don't know if they have any back-issues available but I hope that helps.

Good luck,

Piper