1991 Cavaliers is DCI DVD Spotlight of the Week

You mean 1991?

Cavaliers could have had their first title a year earlier if their horn line had been just a little bit better. In fact, Cavaliers could have had their first three-peat a decade ahead of schedule if the brass was at the level of the percussion and visual.

You mean 1991?

Cavaliers could have had their first title a year earlier if their horn line had been just a little bit better. In fact, Cavaliers could have had their first three-peat a decade ahead of schedule if the brass was at the level of the percussion and visual.

You are right. I've asked the mods to fix that. (I'm staying up late getting my DCI stuff done before I leave for two weeks in China. I just totally blanked when I posted that.)

PS: Thank you, mods.

Edited by Michael Boo

You mean 1991?

Cavaliers could have had their first title a year earlier if their horn line had been just a little bit better. In fact, Cavaliers could have had their first three-peat a decade ahead of schedule if the brass was at the level of the percussion and visual

Star was a man among boys that season and to this day, that show is spoken of in high regards and I do remember being at Finals about two years ago where they sell the DVDs and young active marchers were just mesmerized by Stars show. Cavaliers were good that year, but IMO no way they were going to beat Star.

Such a great show. The Christmas tree with flag toss over the horns is classic.

There are actually a couple of shows in the 80s that could have possibly won, if the brass line was up to par. I am thinking 1985,86, and even 87. All great shows!

Star was a man among boys that season and to this day, that show is spoken of in high regards and I do remember being at Finals about two years ago where they sell the DVDs and young active marchers were just mesmerized by Stars show. Cavaliers were good that year, but IMO no way they were going to beat Star.

1991 GE + Visual + Percussion (but no brass score)...

77.5 Cavaliers

77.4 Star of Indiana

Cavaliers tied Star in Percussion, beat Star in Visual, and was only 0.1 behind in GE. Star won (by 0.7, 97.0 to 96.3) solely because of an 0.8 advantage in brass (19.6 to 18.8). I am NOT saying Star didn't deserve to win or wasn't the better corps. All I'm saying was that the Cavaliers were one section away from winning in 1991. Sure, it's a woulda/coulda/shoulda argument, but the fact remains that if the Cavaliers were better in Brass both their Brass Execution and Brass GE scores would have gone up and they could have beaten Star.

• Like 1

Awesome show. I don't think it could have beaten Star, but it was a ###### good 2nd place show

1991 GE + Visual + Percussion (but no brass score)...

77.5 Cavaliers

77.4 Star of Indiana

Cavaliers tied Star in Percussion, beat Star in Visual, and was only 0.1 behind in GE. Star won (by 0.7, 97.0 to 96.3) solely because of an 0.8 advantage in brass (19.6 to 18.8). I am NOT saying Star didn't deserve to win or wasn't the better corps. All I'm saying was that the Cavaliers were one section away from winning in 1991. Sure, it's a woulda/coulda/shoulda argument, but the fact remains that if the Cavaliers were better in Brass both their Brass Execution and Brass GE scores would have gone up and they could have beaten Star.

We know, we should have had a better brass section...

It's not that the members couldn't play; it was more that the Cavaliers focused on visual and percussion than brass.

• Like 1

I think the Cavies, starting partially in '88 but full-bore in '89, put together incredibly athletic shows with a top-notch drumline. Brass wasn't *bad*, but they weren't putting all of the pieces together as the other sections did. (Of course, in top-level DCI, we're talking tiny degrees of separation here.)

The intro drill to that '91 show is still wonderful - that was still Steve B, yes? Those 89-90-91 shows had such great opening moments. And the ballad is still a wonderful (and slightly non-traditional) rendition of Silent Night. Yes, yes, and the drum feature.

Okay, I'm listing pretty much every element of the show. I guess I'm trying to say... I really, really like that show.

Mike

• Like 1