Openings!

As we all read on DCP and other sites the amount of open positions for almost each section of almost every drum corps in the country we must ask why? In my humble opinion this will create an even bigger problem down the road.

First - Filling your corps with 150 is fine but be smart about where your numbers are going. Can we really say that 80 brass is going to make a bigger impact than 72 or 74? No, but having 42 to 46 in your guard will, plus lets add some more front ensemble and cymbal lines to help get to the 150. Watching video from the 80's, 90's and thru 2007 most top 10 corps had 60 to 72 brass and I think they did very well!

Second - Once corps are at the mercy of members to fill holes they don't pay the full tuition or a significantly deduced fee. Members are smart, college kids are smart, if they have any talent they can hang on the fence all winter long and hook up with a top 12 corps in June for a fraction of the cost. This could become a snowball effect if we are not careful!

Jim

ummmmm... No. The pit already has worse traffic than Houston during rush hour. I say we just go ahead and stretch the front from goal-line to goal-line.

• Like 1

This has been going on FAR before the rase of 150 members (even far before the raise of 138 or whatever it was after 128). Corps have seemingly had to fill holes at the "last minute" ever since I've followed drum corps in the early 90's (and by 'last minute' thats up to & including mid/late July)

and before then too.

injuries happen. life happens. #### happens.

• Like 1

ummmmm... No. The pit already has worse traffic than Houston during rush hour. I say we just go ahead and stretch the front from goal-line to goal-line.

Oh Hell stack 'em up Randy. We got the DM 10 feet up in the air, let's have at least a double decker pit section. :devil:

LOL, keep thinking about the DCA Memorial Day exhibition show at Danville, PA HS. People in the bottom row had their feet on the edge of the track that went around the field. And a great eyeball to horn bell view of the show. (Pits would have been "somewhat" in the way.) :ph34r:

• Like 1

I don't agree at all that 6 more guard are better than 6 more horns.

I understand the sentiment. But on the modern judging sheets, a guard performer is much more valuable than a brass performer. (We have 80 brass, but 30 or so in Guard). So what is " better " is a relative term. A Corps can get by with 6 less brass players. I'm not so sure they won't get killed on the sheets with under 30 in the Guard however. What wins a DCI Title more than anything else these days is a VISUAL moment, not an auditory one. DCI Titles are won increasingly through the eyes of the judges, not the ears. Epecially on Finals Night, where judges way up high in the booth, can't hear much of the music playing above the crowd's noise below them anyway.... and especially in a domed stadium. Guards are HUGELY important to DCI placements come Championships. And the VISUAL is they key above all else.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I understand the sentiment. But on the modern judging sheets, a guard performer is much more valuable than a brass performer. (We have 80 brass, but 30 or so in Guard). So what is " better " is a relative term. A Corps can get by with 6 less brass players. I'm not so sure they won't get killed on the sheets with under 30 in the Guard however. What wins a DCI Title more than anything else these days is a VISUAL moment, not an auditory one. DCI Titles are won increasingly through the eyes of the judges, not the ears. Epecially on Finals Night, where judges way up high in the booth, can't hear much of the music playing above the crowd's noise below them anyway.... and especially in a domed stadium. Guards are HUGELY important to DCI placements come Championships. And the VISUAL is they key above all else.

So the question becomes SHOULD guard carry more weight?

I agree with your assessment, but I don't think guard should have as much influence on the non-visual sheets as they have in the past. Maybe that will change a little with the new sheets?

well, I agree that your post explains what is wrong with DCI.

That said, as an audience member, I would prefer 6 more horns to 6 more flags. I think 40 flags is way more than sufficient to design for appropriate field coverage and effect.

I agree with your assessment, but I don't think guard should have as much influence on the non-visual sheets as they have in the past. Maybe that will change a little with the new sheets?

I would like to see a change where a brass performer is as equally important on the scoring sheets as a guard performer currently is. Will it occur on these new sheets ? I doubt it. But I'm willing to be open minded right now to see what happens.

what some dont realise how guard affects everything in todays drum corps. I have had drum and horn people commenting on guard things like the musicality, has the guard maxed what is being played, have certain opportunities been missed visually to the product musically. Its a huge bleed over and can be frustrating. It goes to show you how visual our activity is. It doesnt matter how the numbers are, were or will be split , because of bleed over captions and because we are a visual activity it will always carry alot of weight.

well, I agree that your post explains what is wrong with DCI.

That said, as an audience member, I would prefer 6 more horns to 6 more flags. I think 40 flags is way more than sufficient to design for appropriate field coverage and effect.

now as a horn myself for many years then guard ( by choice ) I can tell you 6 more horns doesnt do a thing sound wise or visually...6 more guard people by nature of color , size of equipment, impact, etc etc becomes much more valuable....especially if the guard is lacking some numbers

Brasso is right in his assesment, now is that whats wrong with DCI I could ask why but wont but say thats subjective as well as debateable.

Edited by GUARDLING