Blue Knights Show 2012

WP, your support and encouragement of your home corps is admirable. To answer your question, I do not know any aspect of the performance in the video to which I would not say "ouch."

Plainly put, the design and performance, at this juncture in time, in extremely rough. I do wish them the best of experiences with this show.

LOL!!!

Of course, it's rough. They haven't even had their first competition yet.

Do you know of ANY corps that isn't rough at this time?

• Like 2

WP, your support and encouragement of your home corps is admirable. To answer your question, I do not know any aspect of the performance in the video to which I would not say "ouch."

Plainly put, the design and performance, at this juncture in time, in extremely rough. I do wish them the best of experiences with this show.

Ok I'm gonna start over with my response as I don't want to come across as a jerk. I don't know what makes you come to your conclusion that Everything including design in the show is rough! I will say simply this, the performance right now is that of a corps that's performing a show of crazy difficulty in June. Am I to believe that Jay Bocook and Sully don't have a clue how to design a show and came up with a "Rough" design? You are entitled to your opinion and BK may not be as clean now as they've been in the past few June's, but their goal is not to win the month of June, it's to build a special show over the course of a summer! If BK wants to win a world title at some point they've got to take what. They've been doing to the next level. This staff has understood that from day 1. In 09 they transitioned to being a different type of corps eventually changing marching styles, music styles and corps identity. All the while they never fell out of finals, something not accomplished by many who've done the same thing. I may be the largest most obnoxious BK honk, but I'm also a music educator of nearly 13 years and I can tell the difference between good and bad. The show has potential and time will tell whether that potential is met, but I assure you this design is far from rough. I know of two corps out if the entire activity that aren't truly rough in performance level and both are vying for the world title. If June is the time to judge cleanliness then I'd be worried, but it's not! Best of luck to BK tomorrow and all the corps. May they all have safe and blessed travels across the county!! GO BK GET WINGS BABY!!

Wes Perkins

BK 97 98

Wes p

Edited by wesleyrp
  • Like 3

I like this show and am intrigued to see how it ends up... but I have to side with WestCoastBlue here. Every time I re-watch this show I spot a new design flaw that needs to be re-written. Watch this show and then the Blue Devils or Crown. It just doesn't measure up from a design perspective. Especially visually, despite all the "bells and whistles" BK has with body movement.

IMO, BK's biggest problem right now is the visual and musical books do not work in unison. Independently, there is a lot of fascinating stuff in each book. But together, the music isn't always complementing the visuals, and vice versa. One specific instance I can recall off the top of my head occurs during the beginning/middle of the Infernal Dance. The brass is pounding out the stabbing chords of Stravinsky. They are also marching backwards towards the left 30 and the percussion weaves its way in as the guard surrounds them. It's a really neat visual effect... that doesn't match the music at all. A jagged, marcato music book matched up with a very smooth visual move involving (basically) straight-line marching. I also didn't like how many visual transitions I saw that involved coming to a complete stop before launching into the next set.

Again, this isn't meant as a rip, I'm truly trying to be objective here. But I really don't see anything in this show that leads me to believe it will be outside the 8th-10th place range at Finals. :sad:

Edited by hostrauser

Fair enough my man... But to be fair we haven't been able to see it from up top. Also I know a few things about the way they're portraying the theme that may make more sense with some of the moves when we see the whole thing live. It's not unlike most corps at this stage, we'll see some things that work well and others that don't... Adjustments will be made as the season goes. Time will tell, but I think it's a show that will be easy t get into and one that will be very competitive in the end. :)

Wes P

• Like 1

The show is raw right now. I saw the show Saturday night, they only did the prelude and opener but they played the ballad, which is some great music. As I said there's a lot of work to still be done and it's already show time. Simply put this is a very difficult show. It's complex and high energy. No excuses, do they need to clean it, YES! Do they have holes, yes, as I said they have lost some members, it's still early, very early, and it's going to be a big show with some new style. Last year at this time they were almost done with the closer, last year was a completely different show.

Sully was gone Thursday - Sunday still writing and tweaking the drill. There are going to be some great things in this show but like all competitions the first few are really for learning. I'm excited to see what they're going to do; my son and the staff are pretty excited but at the same time this is a hard show to teach. To appreciate the intricacy of the moves one really needs to see it from a higher vantage point. This show is going to be very visual.

The guard is really clean especially for this early in the season, they are on fire. I am beyond excited to see their uniforms—they’re going to be awesome.

The drums are amazing, but what else would you expect with Ralph Hardimon cracking the whip.

The music is good, the end product will be good, but the show is different. Some will embrace it recognizing its originality but on the flip side others just may not like it for the very same reason. :sigh:

I was curious about drum corps in 2006 after not seeing it live since 1983. We went to finals 2010. Had catching up to do; bought the legacy collection in 2007 and the first video I watched was 1999; from that point in time I fell in love with BK :)

I can tell you about the less holes issue, but my only hint will be "Count the mellophones". After you count the mellophones come back and tell me how many you've counted.

Saw them last night in Mesa. My bias is Firebird Suite is overdone, so I just could not connect with it. But my old marching buddy was enthralled with them, and especially the use of 5/4 + 6/4 arrangement in 'Mars.' We both agree the batterie is outstanding, maybe good enough to compete for High Drum. Their execution is what you'd expect of a corps with a high experience level. It stood out when compared to SCV visibly struggling with multiple elements. I can see them challenging as the season goes on, just not sure where this show can grow from where they have it now. It will be constantly compared to Phantom '07, even though the arrangement has some distinct differences.

I would temper enthusiasm, though. There are things about this group that just don't match up to the Big 4 right now. For example, Phantom's front ensemble is ridiculously good and well-featured, giving the show more emotional swings. BK just comes out and shouts at the crowd. It's hard to wow judges for 10 minutes at that level, no matter how athletic the show is.

I can tell you about the less holes issue, but my only hint will be "Count the mellophones". After you count the mellophones come back and tell me how many you've counted.

Yeah yeah, there's 21. They're marching 77 horns.

Edited by DCIfan90