What unusual wildlife did you see while traveling with drum corps

The legendary Jackalope. Although not seen in person many of us had pictures of them on postcards.

Found my postcard of the legendary Jackalope today. Hooray! If I scan it where will I post it? ;)

The herd of Pronghorn deer than ran alongside/hopped besides our bus for 2 miles in Wyoming.

The mother bear (and cub) that attacked our bus at a Colorado rest stop near Vail. A staff member came running from the woods in the mountains. He was screaming, and telling everyone to get on the bus. We all got on the bus as the very angry bear came out of the woods. The cub came running after her., and the mother bear started trying to get in the bus, by pawing at the door that the staff member had run into. We drove off, and she chased us for about 30 yards, snarling and growling along the way.

We tried to find the Hodag up in Rhinelander - but the darn thing is quite elusive :tongue:

For those that never traveled the WI circuit - google it.

Nothing unusual there.....that's the State Bird of Wisconsin anyway!

Witnessed them flying in formation over Kenosha ... :lookaround:

We tried to find the Hodag up in Rhinelander - but the darn thing is quite elusive :tongue:

For those that never traveled the WI circuit - google it.

Both Hodag and Jackalope have horns and both are shy and elusive lol :wink:

edit changed i to u; a spelling mistake lol

IMG_0013.jpg

Edited by lindap

Both Hodag and Jackalope have horns and both are shy and elusive lol :wink:

edit changed i to u; a spelling mistake lol

IMG_0013.jpg

Great postcard ... but this guy scared the bejeezuz out of us outside of Racine!

GiantMesquitoes.jpg

The native Florida gecko was very frightening to the bass baritone sitting in the stall next to me in '83, at Miami nationals. He gave out this blood curdling scream, pounded about three times and finally knocked the door of the stall open, running away with his shorts around his ankles. You see, the little lizard had crawled through my stall, which I thought was cool, as I was a farm boy from NW Ohio. The big city boy from Dubuque did not find it so cool, and as he swatted at the poor little creature, it began hopping back and forth in front of him, scaring the heck out of him. Priceless memories from Miami. Priceless. :w00t:

Speaking of Miami (shudder), we found the huge-*** scorpions, banana spiders, and gators around our school quite exciting.

heather-banana-spider-780243.jpg

However, I have discovered that we have all three of those in my neck of the woods!

I saw my first preying mantis while on tour in 1975. I got those in my backyard now. But the most unusual that I ever saw was seeing fireflies or lightning bugs in 1974 on tour with the Commodores. I was like a little kid trying to catch them, and to this day I've never seen them again.

The Palmetto bugs in south FL were unreal in 1983. We tried to sleep up somewhere so we were not on the floors... As an experiment one evening we were served ham from the food truck. We got a large chunk after dinner was over and put it on a paper plate on the desk portion of a chair desk combo like we all used to sit in in HS. When we got up in the morning, there were three HUGE Palmetto's on the plate EATING THE HAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clearly I have still not recovered from that!