"Blast" Question

DAvery

During the intermission part of Blast when they are playing on the stools they do this thing sort of like a "weave". Does any know of other groups that did something similar, maybe with more players?

1995 Cadets during the "Swing, Swing, Swing" section of the show.

1995 Cadets during the "Swing, Swing, Swing" section of the show.

BD had a similar moment in the early 2000's with a cymbal rack (can't remember which year).

Cavies pit did something similar this past season (2011) as well.

BD had a similar moment in the early 2000's with a cymbal rack (can't remember which year).

Cavies pit did something similar this past season (2011) as well.

I am trying to work out the "weave" using 4 players. I know it using three, but I am having issues working it out with four players.

Yeah, an even number kinda makes it awkward.

I just think of the shell game that you see on the jumbotron at sporting events.

Have you tried with just drawing it out set by set?

I would checkout Cadets 2000, they had 4 tenor players weaving in and out during their sideline feature. You might get some ideas from that.

Yeah, an even number kinda makes it awkward.

I just think of the shell game that you see on the jumbotron at sporting events.

Have you tried with just drawing it out set by set?

I would checkout Cadets 2000, they had 4 tenor players weaving in and out during their sideline feature. You might get some ideas from that.

The Cadet feature does have some moving, but not really a weave. The three person weave is very simple:

Count Drum 1 Drum 2 Drum 3

Only one person plays a drum at a time and it just repeats after 6 counts or you can do a mirror pattern.

Edited by DAvery

The Cadet feature does have some moving, but not really a weave. The three person weave is very simple:

Count Drum 1 Drum 2 Drum 3

Only one person plays a drum at a time and it just repeats after 6 counts or you can do a mirror pattern.

Ah, I see exactly what you want now. Hmmm, yeah that 4th person does kinda throw a wrench into it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Cadets 2000 percussion feature involved 5 bass drums that were grounded, but it wasn't a field drill weave because it involved the players rotating through the grounded drums about every two beats or so. But I think this is closer to what Blast did with stools, which did not move.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Doherty

The Cadets 2000 percussion feature involved 5 bass drums that were grounded, but it wasn't a field drill weave because it involved the players rotating through the grounded drums about every two beats or so. But I think this is closer to what Blast did with stools, which did not move.

Kevin

I thought they cut that part before Finals? They did that in 1995 as well, I remember seeing them do it at a few shows in 2000, but I could have sworn it was gone by the end of the summer (that drum feature went through some MAJOR edits over the summer).