Cadets 2012

People are either going to really LIKE this show, or NOT like it. It's going to go either way for a lot of people.

Anytime the audience can connect to a show, that's a good thing! I believe more people are going to LIKE this show than NOT. The Cadets have a very good percussion line, brassline, and color guard. As their performance level goes up so will their GE marks. This show has much room for growth and changes. Expect this show to finish in the top three; where? Your guess is as good as mine.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Cadets should add big panels on the back of the field (ala 96) that have blue/white/snowflake on the front, but get turned around during the ballad (on) to all white. Guard unis should switch to all white for back half of show. Ramps can stay put reposition them either back field (in front of the panels) or up front. Re-stage ballad to push toward audience - wedge to a cross as it builds. These changes and they'll be right back in the thick of things

I would have personally liked a more "Frenzied" approach to the second tune but maybe that's just me.

Good program this year!

Patients :) there is so much more the Cadets will add to this show.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Patients :) there is so much more the Cadets will add to this show.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

The Cadets are now Christmas doctors??!!! But that's unpossible... :tongue:

• Like 2

When were they out of the thick of things??

that was my way of saying "win this year" ;-)

I personally think Crown & BD's "shows" are better right now - Cadets are performing their "good show" very well right now. It's early & I know much will change

Just feel if they don't change certain things in the end they will finish 3 or 4th.

They typically make good changes - so should be interesting to watch

Crown's in a stronger position right now - but they will need to hose, while Cadets can add things so that battle could go down to the end

Competitively speaking of course. Love them all!

If they're going to use a mic then the need to raise the mic up so at least they're playing towards the audience.

Really? Are you that disturbed by the mic'd soloists? Cadets are not the first corps to do it.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I really like the show - but I'm not digging the guard uniform. The music itself is very reverential / dark / glorious and I'm not sure the guard outfits portray the theme musically - especially in the beginning of the show. I could see them wearing it for Jingle Bells - but that's about it. To me it's seems as if the guard uniform doesn't tie into the music stylistically. I thought they'd be in whites / silvers / icy blues - not gift wrapping presents.

Later,

Mike

Again folks, patients :) If there is an area I think the Cadets got it right it was the guard uniforms. Believe me, more will be revealed in due time.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Really? Are you that disturbed by the mic'd soloists? Cadets are not the first corps to do it.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Cavaliers, Bluecoats, and Blue Devils have been the worst offenders thus far.

Sadly, mics have become the norm these days...

Cadets should add big panels on the back of the field (ala 96) that have blue/white/snowflake on the front, but get turned around during the ballad (on) to all white. Guard unis should switch to all white for back half of show. Ramps can stay put reposition them either back field (in front of the panels) or up front. Re-stage ballad to push toward audience - wedge to a cross as it builds. These changes and they'll be right back in the thick of things

I would have personally liked a more "Frenzied" approach to the second tune but maybe that's just me.

Good program this year!

A few people were already complaining about the fact the closing drill sequence has some drill moves from previous years. I think they can do without panels. Besides, those things were annoying anyway.

I really like the show - but I'm not digging the guard uniform. The music itself is very reverential / dark / glorious and I'm not sure the guard outfits portray the theme musically - especially in the beginning of the show. I could see them wearing it for Jingle Bells - but that's about it. To me it's seems as if the guard uniform doesn't tie into the music stylistically. I thought they'd be in whites / silvers / icy blues - not gift wrapping presents.

Later,

Mike

That's funny. I thought this was a Christmas show.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

That's funny. I thought this was a Christmas show.

HIs point is in reference to how the costumes work with the different tones of the show. They are great for Jingle Bells and probably the closer, but the opener is more wintery and mysterious and "Do You Hear" is all about faith and reverence. They would be the equivalent of playing "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" as a hymn in a Christmas Eve church service. The song is technically seasonal, but it works for some parts of the holiday and not others.

George mentioned on FB some time ago that they will have walls across the front and the back, so I really expect another costume change is coming, once they have something to change behind. These people are too smart not to be aware of the visual disconnect, and I can't imagine they aren't hearing the same from the judges.

• Like 2

Well, maybe that's the case for some people. But I bet that some folks just think it's, y'know, jarringly out of season -- a white pants after labor day kinda thing, just an intrinsic reaction, not necessarily a die-hard stance against the show.

I, for one, think the show is really cute. And more interesting design-wise, if maybe a little less powerful emotionally, than last year's show.

And I have a feeling their guard is going to kick some butt this year, which would be fun to see.

...and it is those same people who are critizing the show before they even see it. The christmas theme is either HIT or MISS and I believe the Cadets have hit it.

Irving

Fan of the Arts