Drum Corps at the Movies

Well, they shut down Northpark in Dallas as a DCI theater, so I trekked up to Plano to join a phellow phormer Phantom. I missed Blue Stars and Phantom, arriving as Phantom was leaving the field, so can't comment on the product. But given that the corps opened in 2nd place with BD not present, a more-or-less 3rd place opening finish is uncharacteristic for the corps--so a GREAT start!

I was VERY impressed with Cadets' show being opening night. It will be great...really good use of familiar music. Anyone who thinks Christmas music won't work need only revisit 1991 Cavaliers. This could be even better due to the musical aspect. Look for Cadets to be right in the hunt.

Bluecoats...mmmmm!! Looking forward to where this show goes in 6 weeks or so! Brass wasn't quite up to the level of the couple of corps that came before them, but its also early. They'll get there, courtesy 14-hour days...and that show will be FUN in August! Great tubas...does it have to be stated?!?

Cavies show seemed like they were thumbing the judges' noses. "So you want MUSIC, eh?" Seemed like their typical offering only with music wrapped around the visual concept instead of notes. I marched Phantom, but I grew to respect Cavies in the last decade--they were just too good NOT to!! But this product is either too early to fully appreciate, needs a year for the creative staff to "get" the new sheets or just isn't very congealed yet. Maybe August will be another story, in which case I look forward to seeing what they do!

Crown, like Cavies, just didn't resonate with me. Again, it seemed like the new sheets confounded this staff which seemed like a natural fit to dominate on the new sheets. The show seemed "off." Another case of too early? Maybe. Time will tell.

As far as scores / placements were concerned, I thought the judges were pretty darned close, which was REALLY interesting! Cavies in 5th?!? Phantom in 2nd?!? BD not being there has to be taken into consideration obviously. I imagine they will be in their typical 72.0, 1st place out of the gate territory. They typically do that, but then again, they haven't exactly been playing "music" the last few years either...pardon my term. If they are having the same problems Cavies and Crown exhibited last night, that could really shake things up!

In short, if Phantom was truly in 2nd place last night I'll call it right now having not even seen the show--that's your champion! Could be even if BD is in 72-range. Would be an interesting year seeing Phantom and Cadets go back and forth all year and duke it out in Indy. But Cadets, given some time to finish their product, is going to be right there all season, whether they are racing against Rockford or Concord. And wouldn't that make an interesting 3-legged race?!? Would sure love to see all three of those corps winning regionals this season, with a different leader each night in Indy!

But with the new score sheets, all that is necessary is to see Crown and Blooo finish their products, do some cleaning and get a little rest and they'll be tight as well. Would be interesting to see--what was it, 2006? 2007?--all over again, when most of the Top 7 corps beat each other at some point or the other.

And SCV with Fiedler, Rennick and JD Shaw cannot be too far out of the mix!! This is starting off well. Kudos to Michael Cesario and all of those who put work in on redeveloping the new sheets--well done!

And I know that 2012 has only just begun, but this has GOT to make 2013 look amazing! Once creative-sorts get the idea behind the sheets, music next year is going to be SMOKIN'!! :thumbup:

• Like 1

As for the rehash of "Phantom vs. Phantom" (so to speak), that was a kind of neat revelation for the evening! To see two corps once again be performing selections from 'New World' AND 'Phantom of the Opera' in the same year...in the SAME SHOW...was awesome!

Thank you to Bluecoats and Blue Stars (who I didn't get to see!) for that little treat. I look forward to seeing these two shows in person. :thumbup:

And Crown, the closing portion with the more recognizable portions of the Copland...juicey!! If it is possible to feature more of this, I'd say DO IT!! If the sheets are based on the recognizable stuff, load us up! Play it five times in a row. Do a 'theme and variations.' Do a 'Fugue on Fanfare for the Common Man.' There were long stretches of the show that were like, "huh?!?" Not what we've come to expect recently.

Granted, its only mid-June. But the ending of the show was divine! Would love to see the rest of it in that category! :thumbup:

Really enjoyed last nights presentation. The sound was so much better than last year!

Blue Stars were dirty, at points it looked like they had holes in their drill, maybe this is the case. With some work this show could be something, obviously, they won't stay like that for long.

Phantom blew me away, the guard was excellent. The drill was well written, which something that has been holding them back in the past. I felt the Nessun Dorma soloist was drowned out a bit. Not sure if it was just microphone placement or if that is a real issue. I felt that Nessun was a little over written. but aside I loved the show, I just hope they don't peak to early.

Crown, obviously this show was conceived with Lucas Oil in mind, those stereo bass drums and tympani will be killer. The brass book is ridiculously hard and I thought it was executed well for this time of year. Guard uniforms...WTF not sure how it fits. Overall wasn't a big fan of the concept but feel that I have wait to see it live to really feel the impact of the show. Could be the year for them if everything falls in place. they certainly have the demand and intent.

Cavaliers, Michael Gaines is no longer the drill writer and everyone is just going to have to get over it. It is going to take a few shows for them to adapt. They are going in a different direction this year and need to find themselves which I am sure they will. I liked some of the music and the percussion was excellent. However, I don't see them being a serious contender to for the gold this year.

Cadets- They were the Cadets. Those guard uniforms are hideous, looks like Christmas on acid. but they performed well for themselves. The arrangements are excellent and well played by the hornline, really enjoyed Do you Hear. Drill was typical, clean for this time of year. With the new judging system, they could take it home again this year. I personally thought the Bluecoats percussion was better.

Bluecoats- WOW, I didn't hear anything about them before last night and I was floored. The most complete package of the night by far. What a sound. They lost me towards the end of the show though and I think I wasn't the only one. If they fix that they could medal again this year. Percussion was excellent and what a big sound from the hornline. Really enjoyed the opener. Looking for them to make some serious moves this year.

Bluecoats- WOW, I didn't hear anything about them before last night and I was floored. The most complete package of the night by far. What a sound. They lost me towards the end of the show though and I think I wasn't the only one. If they fix that they could medal again this year. Percussion was excellent and what a big sound from the hornline. Really enjoyed the opener. Looking for them to make some serious moves this year.

Don't worry - there is plenty planned to be added to this show to make the concept come through and will definately enhance the back half of the show.

• Like 1

Here's some thoughts-don't think some of them have been addressed in previous?

Stars...MR drill was def a step up for this group...insane in spots. Judge wiped out early on backfield. The backhand?...sure looked like one to me, but really not that big a deal if you look at the situation.

Speaking of collisions...how about the rifle to the head of the tumbling guard, Cadets I believe?

Crown...early reports I recieved of some issues in the percussion line were confirmed. I truly believe the statement that the design staff "did not even consider the new sheets when writing this show" is true. Love the theme... What we can achieve as one vs what can be achieved as a group is VERY relevant to the activity. Maybe the guard color blend could be part of the overall "common" good theme? No one stands out? Medal contender show...drums may be the difference in the end.

Coats...Thought the masks were a really cool effect. Seemed to have the drops! Alot in the Guard,but also a mallet? and a shoe! Drums were REALLY good!

Cadets...Wonder how the white box props are going to be colored/decorated? Mello solo reminded me of the 80's!

PR...WOW! Favorite performance of the night. Feet seemed end of July clean??? ND definitely got to me! THANKS PR!!!!!!!!!!

Best moment of the night for me was sitting next to my daughter when she made the "big screen" in part of the "commercial" for San Antonio!

Gonna be a great year!

The narration used in cadets show is from a Charlie brown Christmas. Changes the mood effectively and everyone has heard it before.

To be more precise (since the narration word gets so many DCPers panties in a bind), the "soundclip" is directly from the Charlie Brown special and is Linus' voice (not just words from the special spoken by someone in the corps) when he does his on-stage speach about the meaning of Christmas.

I assume "And there were in the same country, abiding in the field...". or some part of that scripture.

To be more precise (since the narration word gets so many DCPers panties in a bind), the "soundclip" is directly from the Charlie Brown special and is Linus' voice (not just words from the special spoken by someone in the corps) when he does his on-stage speach about the meaning of Christmas.

I love A Charlie Brown Christmas more than I can say, but this audio clip was the worst part of the show. It completely drains the thrill of the live performance to throw in such a clip, especially one so familiar. Thankfully it doesn't last, but it has the same effect on my enjoyment of the show as the audio clips from West Side Story did on Cadets 09. I go from :w00t: to :sad: and then to :doh:

Alas.