Drum Corps at the Movies

I love A Charlie Brown Christmas more than I can say, but this audio clip was the worst part of the show. It completely drains the thrill of the live performance to throw in such a clip, especially one so familiar. Thankfully it doesn't last, but it has the same effect on my enjoyment of the show as the audio clips from West Side Story did on Cadets 09. I go from :w00t: to :sad: and then to :doh:

Alas.

It would work better if they actually played the song from A Charlie Brown Christmas after that audio ... Christmas Time is Here ... with the piano intro ...

• Like 1

It would work better if they actually played the song from A Charlie Brown Christmas after that audio ... Christmas Time is Here ... with the piano intro ...

As it happens, this is exactly what the clip brought to my mind--or rather that instead of playing an audio clip they should have worked in something from the soundtrack, which then got me thinking simultaneously about my favorite lines from that special ("make it easy on yourself: just send money. How about tens and twenties?" and "Beethoven wasn't so great." and "Real estate."), and whether or not Vince Guaraldi's estate would have granted the appropriate rights, which then led me to think about how the show as is saved the Cadets a bunch of money and hassle since there were no rights to secure, and how copyright law is strangling innovation in the arts, and then I realized I missed the rest of the show.

• Like 1

They play "Hark the Herald" right after the clip...which is the ending song in A Charlie Brown Christmas that all the kids sing. So I think it works.

To be more precise (since the "narration" word gets so many DCP-ers panties in a bind), the "soundclip" is directly from the Charlie Brown special and is Linus's voice (not just words from the special spoken by someone in the corps), when he does his on-stage speach about the meaning of Christmas.

I'll take live narration over a sampled clip any day. (Though preferably neither.) Figure out which of the members can do the best Linus imitation and have him or her step up. If jwillis's interpretation of the rules (in the DCI Rountable Project forum) is correct, corps are turning to samples because they're not judged and thus pose no risk.

It would work better if they actually played the song from A Charlie Brown Christmas after that audio: "Christmas Time Is Here", with the piano intro...

As long as the piano isn't miked, absolutely!

They play "Hark the Herald Angel" right after the clip, which is the ending song in A Charlie Brown Christmas that all the kids sing. So I think it works.

Maybe if the corps sang the first notes a la the special: "Ooo-oo-ooo-oo-oo-oo-ooh"?

I'll take live narration over a sampled clip any day. (Though preferably neither.) Figure out which of the members can do the best Linus imitation and have him or her step up. If jwillis's interpretation of the rules (in the DCI Rountable Project forum) is correct, corps are turning to samples because they're not judged and thus pose no risk.

Yeah because truly you'll be able to tell if it's a real person saying the line or if it's just sampling. :doh:

I like that sample. I saw a lot of smiles around me in theaters when that played.

• Like 1

The narration used in cadets show is from a Charlie brown Christmas. Changes the mood effectively and everyone has heard it before.

What clip did they use and how much of it did they use?