Louisville Review

Good review.

FYI, that's not the "Jaws" theme. It's actually part of Dvorak's New World Symphony. See Phantom Regiment's second-place show from 1989 (which still holds the second-highest second place Finals score ever).

Yes, of course I know it's from the symphony.... but they are definitely playing up the "Jaws" relationship because of the theme of the show.

• Like 1

Cadets were really fun to watch. You might not expect a Christmas show to be that good. I don't think it will be a championship contender but it will be a fan delight and still a very solid scoring show.

Not a championship contender? Really?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Not a championship contender? Really?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Really. IMO, The Cadets show will (at some point) feel the same backlash that Star of Indiana felt in 1991. A show designed to please the crowd, yet it comes off as gimmicky and blazay. The show will contend throughout the summer, but I see it falling to 3rd or 4th come finals night.

• Like 1

Really. IMO, The Cadets show will (at some point) feel the same backlash that Star of Indiana felt in 1991. A show designed to please the crowd, yet it comes off as gimmicky and blazay. The show will contend throughout the summer, but I see it falling to 3rd or 4th come finals night.

[/quote

Gimicky and blazay? If the show will contend throughout the summer why all of a sudden would it finish 3rd or 4th come finals night? Here is my list of contenders now and come August:

Cadets

Blue Devils

Crown

Bluecoats

Phantom Regiment

From this five my top three (at this point) are: Cadets, Blue Devils, Crown (could be the order you see come finals night).

Here's my take on it since I've seen the contenders except for BD...its all about winning captions and at this point I see Cadets taking more captions from Crown (head to head). Crown will need to take more than the horns caption to win it all in August. In the long haul I see Cadets with a more balanced caption challenge across the board: horns, percussion, GE, color guard. "Just Sayin".

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Is it possible you're thinking of 1992 Star?

Edited by kcbari
  • Like 2

If the show will contend throughout the summer why all of a sudden would it finish 3rd or 4th come finals night? Here is my list of contenders now and come August:

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Ask that question to the Blue Devils 1988... Leading all season only to come in third to SCV and Madison finals night...

I can see his argument..

[/quote

Gimicky and blazay? If the show will contend throughout the summer why all of a sudden would it finish 3rd or 4th come finals night?

Yes. It could work out EXACTLY that way (see the afore mentioned Star '92 patriotic show). I seem to recall that one week before finals (DCI Mid-America), they were, I believe, right at two full points above Cavaliers. They had pretty much won everything all summer and ended up third after a big push from Cadets.

Incidently, I've always been a big fan of the '92 Star show. I actually thought the use of scrims and body movement (along with the stars and the 'flag' drill at the end) was very well done and the musical arrangements were fantastic! I never really "got" the Cavies show that year

By the way (not to be too much of a spelling Nazi, but...), it's blase' not blasay.