2012 Rankings

And AGAIN trying to answer the original post regarding this issue...Liz and a few others seem to imply (but maybe not) that the Kilties need to be in MORE shows to get a fairer shake from the judges (ala Cabs/Bucs competing every weekend, etc) and to get more feedback from the same judges. MY original response is still based on that question.

1. The Kilties or ANY midwest corps would love to march more shows period.

2. Travel time and lack of shows restrict that ability.

3. Even with a show to go to finacial restrictions would still apply.

So maybe if the Kilts or MBI go to ONE more show a season for instance DCI Minnesota and get judged. They still are not going head to head with their brothers in DCA with the same frequency as the eastern corps enjoy. And for the most part not even the same judges. So how as a previous poster has suggested, are any improvements in the show or changes going to be seen by those judges? Let no one here think that I'm saying "oh the poor Kilties or oh the midwest seniors don't have a fair shake". It is what it is and all I've tried to say is that there IS a difference between the east and the midwest (and the west for that matter)in the availability of contest during the season. And when DCM folded all that did was make it worse. I hope that helps explain my position better. Plain and simple.

MBI has 8 judged shows plus the 1 exhibition at the DCI regional this year, Bucs have 10. Sure, 3 for MBI are DCI shows but I wouldnt say being in the midwest gives you less show opportunities. Just saying.

Ok moving on... how about those rankings!

Edited by skeptic
  • Like 1

MBI has 9 judged shows plus the 1 exhibition at the DCI regional this year, Bucs have 10. Sure, 3 for MBI are DCI shows but I wouldnt say being in the midwest gives you less show opportunities. Just saying.

Ok moving on... how about those rankings!

We (MBI) only have eight, and that's if you count prelims and finals as separate: Woodbury, Mankato, Bridgeport, Naperville, South St Paul, St Peter, Annapolis. Two exhibition field show performances, in Minneapolis and Racine. Possibly a third at a local marching band show.

I think someone said Kilties have done 5 exhibitions so far this year; If I'm remembering that correctly, they actually have more performances under their belt than we do at this point. Sure the feedback from a judging panel would be great, but it would be expensive to travel to shows, and it's not like they're just sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Scott Stewart has always valued performance and entertainment over competition and scores anyway.

Back to topic.. How 'bout dem Cabs? Shaking things up a bit :thumbup:

Open Class:

1 - 87.00 - Buccaneers - 7/21 Downington PA (+1.65 7/14)

2 - 83.05 - Caballeros - 7/21 Lynn MA (+2.95 7/14)

3 - 81.90 - Empire Statesmen - 7/21 Lynn MA (+4.10 6/30)

4 - 81.05 - Hurricanes - 7/21 Lynn MA (+1.85 7/14)

5 - 78.70 - Minnesota Brass - 6/30 Bridgeport CT (+2.10* 6/23)

6 - 75.85 - Atlanta CV - 7/21 Downington PA (+4.85 7/7)

7 - 75.30 (1.0) - Cadets² - 7/21 Downington PA (+2.05 7/14)

8 - 73.90** - Kidsgrove Scouts - 7/15 Stoke UK (+4.10** 7/1)

9 - 72.05* - Renegades - 7/15 Bellflower CA (+0.25 7/14)

10- 71.65 - Fusion Core - 7/14 Clifton NJ (+2.25 7/7)

11- 66.40 - Bushwackers - 7/21 Downington PA (+3.55 7/14)

Kilties

Tampa Bay Thunder

Class A:

1 - 72.40* - Govenaires - 7/14 Minneapolis MN (+6.50 6/26)

2 - 69.35 - Windsor Regiment - 7/21 Lynn MA (+4.85 7/14)

3 - 67.60 - Carolina Gold - 7/7 Nokesville VA (+1.8 6/16)

4 - 66.20* - Cincinnati Tradition - 6/27 Fairfield OH

5 - 65.45 - Sunrisers - 7/21 Lynn MA (+3.05 7/14)

6 - 64.75 - White Sabers - 7/21 Downington PA

7 - 60.85* - SoCal Dream*** - 7/15 Bellflower CA (-1.75* 7/14)

8 - 59.20 - Shenandoah Sound - 7/21 Downington PA (+3.05 7/7)

Excelsior

• Like 1

Well Kemo, Last season the open class champion was Minn Brass, Class A champ was Govies, Mini Corps champ: Star United. Kilties? In the top ten. ALL midwest corps. I will NEVER criticize a responsible business model. I will emulate it! Ed, There is a corps in Cincinnati over populated with young folks. They have the same issues with work demands, that us older folks have. It is ironic that Cincinnati Tradition's "long distance" commutes this season will include Naperville/Racine and Atlanta, 6 1/2 hours and 8 hours, respectively. 9 hours to Anapolis. They have budgeted for those trips, responsibly. Travel should NOT be one mile farther that your annual operating budget will allow. DCI is NOT a factor in the success or failure of a midwest DCA corps. A corps succeeds when it establishes itself in it's own community FIRST. A corps fails when it over extends it's travel budget.

Yes! How about those Cabs? :thumbup:

You know, I heard that old guys get up early, but 5:16 am and you're posting on DCP?!? I remember a time or two when it was 5:16 am and we all decided we should get to bed before practice started at 8 am. :blink:

Well Kemo, Last season the open class champion was Minn Brass, Class A champ was Govies, Mini Corps champ: Star United. Kilties? In the top ten. ALL midwest corps. I will NEVER criticize a responsible business model. I will emulate it! Ed, There is a corps in Cincinnati over populated with young folks. They have the same issues with work demands, that us older folks have. It is ironic that Cincinnati Tradition's "long distance" commutes this season will include Naperville/Racine and Atlanta, 6 1/2 hours and 8 hours, respectively. 9 hours to Anapolis. They have budgeted for those trips, responsibly. Travel should NOT be one mile farther that your annual operating budget will allow. DCI is NOT a factor in the success or failure of a midwest DCA corps. A corps succeeds when it establishes itself in it's own community FIRST. A corps fails when it over extends it's travel budget.

Yes! How about those Cabs? :thumbup:

I think someone said Kilties have done 5 exhibitions so far this year; If I'm remembering that correctly, they actually have more performances under their belt than we do at this point. Sure the feedback from a judging panel would be great, but it would be expensive to travel to shows, and it's not like they're just sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Scott Stewart has always valued performance and entertainment over competition and scores anyway.

Back to topic.. How 'bout dem Cabs? Shaking things up a bit :thumbup:

That is correct. Kilties have performed their full field show at 5 MACBA competitive high shcool band shows already this summer:

June 23 Fort Atkinson WI

June 24 Oregon WI

June 30 Greendale WI

July 1 Racine WI

July 7 Sun Prairie WI

These are really good gigs. The crowds are actually larger than most of the old DCM show crowds (in the thousands every show), and the Kilties get to perform under the lights while the judges tabulate the band scores. Crowds have been throwing babies all year. These shows are also a great recruiting tool for future years.

Like Spandy said, feedback from a judging panel would be great, but I don't think the Kilties are going to give up this portion of the schedule just for a couple of numbers. It's a hoot playing at these shows! I've seen the Kilties numerous times this summer and they have a really nice drum corps. The numbers will take care of themselves in August when they get into the DCA Midwest portion of their season.

Now, back on topic... "How 'bout them Cabs!" :thumbup:

Edited by J.C.

"How 'bour them Cabs!" :thumbup:

Shaking up the top 5! Anyone think they have enough to push for #2?

I guess it all depends on MBI, hard to say without a recent score. If MBI can stay close/ahead of Bucs then I think Cabs are a solid 3rd. If MBI isnt quite to that level, Cabs could very well take the #2 spot at finals this year!

Shaking up the top 5! Anyone think they have enough to push for #2?

I guess it all depends on MBI, hard to say without a recent score. If MBI can stay close/ahead of Bucs then I think Cabs are a solid 3rd. If MBI isnt quite to that level, Cabs could very well take the #2 spot at finals this year!

I love the Cabs and the Cabs show this year.

Don't let MBI lack of a recent score sway you.

MBI was 2+ points ahead of Cabs at their first meeting and MBI had several members that did not make the trip. Bus legs and all. MBI shows with a full crew rested I suspect they are probably closer to 4 points apart at this point and time.

Comparing the two shows based on the videos that I have seen the MBI show seems stronger from a design point and has more room to grow. Cabs show seems a bit on the SAFE side to make a run for the 2nd Rung.They may be ahead of Empire and Hurs and may well stay there but Hurcs show seems the most solid of the 3 I have reviewed. Cabs Percussion scores are going to need to see a huge rise in the next couple of contest for them to be in that 2-3 mix.

Edited by camel lips