2012 Rankings

too many people read into the numbers, and will assume thatnumber is by judges on DCA sheets. Hell some people base their prediction on last years scores

I see what you mean Jeff, we can only just wait and see to where we lie within the rest of the corps after Bridgeport. Personally as I said before I won't be remembering the score in years to come but the memories gained will be with me for a life time.

• Like 1

I dont think It really matters in the grand scheme of things though, as the audience will be able to form their own opinion of all shows as and when they see them and there will be differences of opinion there of course. That's why I don't get hung up on results and numbers.

Of course one thing is certain "who ever scores highest wins" (couldn't resist) ;-)

I see what you mean Jeff, we can only just wait and see to where we lie within the rest of the corps after Bridgeport. Personally as I said before I won't be remembering the score in years to come but the memories gained will be with me for a life time.

I can't wait to see you in Annapolis...but man, some people do get hung up in these rankings threads

I dont think It really matters in the grand scheme of things though, as the audience will be able to form their own opinion of all shows as and when they see them and there will be differences of opinion there of course. That's why I don't get hung up on results and numbers.

Of course one thing is certain "who ever scores highest wins" (couldn't resist) ;-)

that'll be one pint of ale you owe me sir...or a Euro, whichever is worth more

:tongue:

that'll be one pint of ale you owe me sir...or a Euro, whichever is worth more

:tongue:

Woahhh, we don't use that rubbish in the UK! ;)

"Euro" ? Please don't use foul language like that on a public forum ;-)

Well if your staying in Hilton Baltimore BWI Aiport Hotel then be sure to find me in the bar ;-)

• Like 1

I can't wait to see you in Annapolis...but man, some people do get hung up in these rankings threads

i like the rankings jeff...........but it's just for fun and some banter. other then that it's all about the performance on the field of competition.

• Like 1

i like the rankings jeff...........but it's just for fun and some banter. other then that it's all about the performance on the field of competition.

not you Don. I know where you're coming from.

Interesting thread here. Let me say first off that I am new to DCP. I understand the intent of this type of ranking/prediction thread is one of entertainment for the members here. I get it. There are a couple of things about this type of conversation that bother me however, whether it is DCA, DCI, Winter Guard, Indoor Drumline, Marching Band, etc. I have judged at various levels for the past 30 years and I spend a lot of my time sitting in clinics, training seminars and the like talking about different sheets, philosopy of judging, numbers management, etc. etc.

The first thing people need to understand is that judges react to a given performance in exactly the same way the crowd does. We are impressed by good construction and performance quality and disappointed when these and other factors are lacking. The only significant difference is that the opinions (scores) of the judging community are based on a specific set of criteria that can vary depending on the sheet in use. The average spectator is usually basing their opinion (score, if you will) off of solely their personal preferences, which is fine by the way. Judges are, and I believe should be, moved emotionally by a performance as well, just like the crowd is. Without that emotional reaction we might as well write a computer program that evaluates the musical and visual performance and be done with it. The ability for a show to "connect, if you will" with the crowd and judges is effected by many contributing factors. The vantage point of a given stadium, weather conditions on a given night, field conditions, lighting...all these things and many more contribute to the unit's ability to project their product to the evaluators (judges or fans).

How does this all relate to the topic at hand? Well, you just can't compare numbers from one show to the next...period. Different show, different stadium, different weather conditions, different panel, in many cases different sheets. It's what many of us in the judging community call contest dynamics. It's the intangables from one show to the next. To say that because one corps scored a 77 at one show on the east coast and another corps scored a 75 on the west coast 3 days later, that the first corps is somehow a higher ranking than the second , and to use that as a prediction of what will happen down the road is just a waste of air. Or, to rant about a unit dropping two points from show to show when they felt it was a better run is a waste of breath. Could that group have had a better run and their score drop?.....sure it could. We try to keep some sort of consistency in the performance evaluations from show to show but the only way to do that consistently would be for the panels to study recaps from the previous shows...do we want them doing that?,,,,I certainly hope not.

So, and I will get off my soap box, use these type of threads to feed your need to know but understand that this type of thinking is futile and very misleading. Let's just wait until everyone is in front of the same crowd on the same night in the same stadium with the same panel and then figure out where people stand. Even then, all that could easily change the next time around! Contest dynamics...it's one of the things that makes this activity so much fun.

Good luck to all of you and your units this summer. I am looking forward to seeing the fruits of all of your hardwork on the field...and for once it won't be as a judge but as a fellow member!!! Can't wait!

Dan

• Like 3