5. Miami

6. Corps getting jumped outside the OB

7. SEVEN! devil.gif

8. Miami

9. Measles vaccinations in Whitewater

10. Miami

You left out the Knights...

• Like 1

I did a search but couldn't find it, but wasn't there a corp that supposedly ran out of money while on the road and the members were abandoned and had to find their own transportation home? But then I think I remember a staff member writing that it didn't exactly happen that way.

In 1986, one of Suncoast's buses was in a head-on collision with a drunk in a pickup truck. The drunk was killed, and several of the staff were injured. It was apparently pretty horrific (I was not there, but had many friends who were).

Then, in 1987, our show was My Fair Lady. :ph34r:

:tongue:

How about the guy who got struck by lightning during rehearsal. It may have been a senior corps and not a junior corps but I think it is still appropriate with the turn of this thread.

Des Plaines ( Chicago Junior Corps ) Vanguard Drum Major died at rehearsal after being struck by lightening in the mid 60's.

Several marchers over the years have died in car accidents after leaving practice or on returning home from a show competition.

(Man, this is a joyful thread, huh ? )

Edited by BRASSO

How about the guy who got struck by lightning during rehearsal. It may have been a senior corps and not a junior corps but I think it is still appropriate with the turn of this thread.

Lightning has killed both junior and senior members. Back in 1967, John Gruber, a drummer for the Des Plaines Vanguard, was killed by lightning during practice.

Frank Petric, a former member of the Bridgemen, was killed by lightning in 1986, while practicing with the Skyliners.

Also in 1986, five members of the Blue Knights were injured by lightning, which struck near a metal scaffolding.

Also can't forget back in 1970, when several members of the Mark Twain Cadets (NY) were hit by lightning while leaving their practice field.

Ironically, the corps had just finished playing the "Lord's Prayer".

Edited by Northern Thunder

Frank Petric, a former member of the Bridgemen, was killed by lightning in 1986, while practicing with the Skyliners.

That was the Sr corps I was thinking about but had the year wrong. Sky did a standstill concert at the Hershey show after the PA announcer said why they were not doing a field show that night. I was there and you could tell some members were limping. :sad:

And then there's THE grand daddy of all drum corps horror stories............

On May 19, 1970, six members of the Dukes of Old Bridge Junior Drum & Bugle Corps (Old Bridge, NJ) were killed when the car in which they were riding collided with three others. The six were on their way to a Dukes corps rehearsal (in extremely rainy conditions) when the accident happened.

Those killed were:

James Bennett

Laura Booth

Deborah Dietz

Patricia Dietz

John Johnson

Pamela Nolan

The Dukes had just 48 marching members that summer, so the loss of these six must have been unimaginable. The corps went on to compete in the Garden State Circuit that summer.

Ironically, one of the musical numbers in the Dukes’ repertoire in 1970 was

“Gonna Live Till I Die”.

Lightning has killed both junior and senior members. Back in 1967, John Gruber, a drummer for the Des Plaines Vanguard, was killed by lightning during practice.

Also in 1986, five members of the Blue Knights were injured by lightning, which struck near a metal scaffolding.

Also can't forget back in 1970, when several members of the Mark Twain Cadets (NY) were hit by lightning while leaving their practice field.

Ironically, the corps had just finished playing the "Lord's Prayer".

The Skyliners one was the one I was thinking of with my post - Didn't know about the others

Free day '95 Colts in Niagara Falls. The father of one of our age-out Bari soloists was on support staff and went to dinner with his son and another female support staff member. At dinner he choked on food, had a massive heart attack and died. This was two days before finals.

He sat in the press box and did not perform for semis, but took the field and marched (and played his solo) in memory of his father who had passed away in his arms less than 48 hours prior. Incredibly heroic and incredibly emotional.

• Like 3