Drum Corps horror stories

1987 - we had a group of members from Michigan who after one weekend rehearsal while driving back to michigan the driver fell asleep and rolled the car. All but one of the members escaped with minor injuries. That one guy was the guy who was wearing the Halo vest and guarding the American Flag on finals night during our performance. He did march with us on Baritone in 1988 and with Spirit in 1989 & 1990 so the story did have a happy ending.

Yeah, not a happy thread but just remembered Lefty Meyer, long time Business Manager of the Skyliners (and co-founder of DCA) passing away day or so before 1976 DCA. Not sure how corps staff found out but just remember getting off the bus at the motel and being told to stick around. Lefty had driven from NYC to Central PA two years before to give us a pep-talk as we were trying to get back on the field so it was a big shock to those who remembered that. IIRC, all DMs wore black armbands at Prelims and Finals.

Not quite a horror story but.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Troopers 2011, guard bus crash.

I was on the horn bus, and we pulled into a rest stop- seemed routine enough, we didn't get diesel or get off to pee, but that stuff happens all the time so I didn't notice. We did notice that we only had three busses, though, and we stayed there for an hour. Rumors were rampant. We then went on to the Iowa housing site, where the staff told the leadership that the guard bus had rolled over several hours before, and to calm the members. Not what I wanted to hear.

Several injuries, including some neck ones, sent a couple guard girls home, but the guard rallied and came back stronger.

Surprisingly, the people sleeping in the aisle on the bus were just fine- I talked to a friend who hadn't even realized they had crashed, she just thought some stuff had fallen from the overheads.

Back in the 60's a marcher in a Senior Corps ( have forgotten the Corps ) at Mission Drums show competition in Boston was late to his Corps show... ran from his car pell mell with his horn, climbed over a low lying fence, then ran to his spot literally as his Corps was a few steps into their show, then fell over with a heart attack. Paramedics rushed onto the field to resusitate him, but I believe he succumbed to the heart attack if I heard it correctly.

Edited by BRASSO

Whoever down voted my George Hopkins post clearly has no sense of humor. :tongue::rolleyes:

And/or has no idea your history...

• Like 1

Something similar happened to one of our high school drum majors a few years back, not it's not drum corps, but still, I know that feeling and it's nothing anyone should experience, EVER. God bless all those families and members, it's nothing you should have to go through.