Drum Corps horror stories

Magic '99: The Pittsfield Massacre

???

???

It's the harrowing story of Magic of Orlando's trip from Pittsfield, Massachusetts to Washington DC on July 5-7, 1999.

The story involves some kids sleeping on the steps of the Basketball Hall of Fame, kids riding in pit trailers, equipment being completely lost, vehicles on fire, etc. It seems totally implausible, but I've had no less than THREE independent sources recount the same events to me. Just... everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

It ended with the corps doing an exhibition at JEB Stuart High School on July 7 in athletic shorts and tennis shoes (but some guys in flip-flops), using borrowed equipment, so that they could collect their performance fee and consequently purchase food and gas. You'll notice that after the Pittsfield show, the corps did not receive another score until July 10 -- that's how long it took to get everything reassembled.

It's the harrowing story of Magic of Orlando's trip from Pittsfield, Massachusetts to Washington DC on July 5-7, 1999.

The story involves some kids sleeping on the steps of the Basketball Hall of Fame, kids riding in pit trailers, equipment being completely lost, vehicles on fire, etc. It seems totally implausible, but I've had no less than THREE independent sources recount the same events to me. Just... everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

It ended with the corps doing an exhibition at JEB Stuart High School on July 7 in athletic shorts and tennis shoes (but some guys in flip-flops), using borrowed equipment, so that they could collect their performance fee and consequently purchase food and gas. You'll notice that after the Pittsfield show, the corps did not receive another score until July 10 -- that's how long it took to get everything reassembled.

Wow. Does not sound like fun.

Also, the poor mellophone that broke his leg in Crown at Finals 2010. It was pretty traumatizing for the audience, too. Ruined the show for me.

Whatever happened to him? Was that his ageout? Did he march again/still marching?

The NBA Basketball Hall of Fame is located in Springfield, Ma, ( the birthplace of the invention of the game of Basketball by Dr. Naismith ) not Pittsfield Ma. Springfield, Ma. is about an hours drive away from Pittsfield, Ma.( approx. 50 miles ). If the Corps was going from a show in Pittsfield to Washington, D.C., I'm not sure why they'd be in Springfield, unless they took a detour to see the NBA Hall of Fame there. The quickes way from Pittsfield to Washington, D.C. would ordinarily not take the Corps a hours drive east to Springfield to pick up the Mass Pike, but straight down south thru New York freeway which is west. Oh well, who knows.

Edited by BRASSO

The NBA Basketball Hall of Fame is located in Springfield, Ma, ( the birthplace of the invention of the game of Basketball by Dr. Naismith ) not Pittsfield Ma. Springield is about an hours drive away from Pittsfield( approx. 50 miles ).

Right! The show was in Pittsfield, and then some of the corps ended up in Springfield, which is on the way to DC... if you want to go the long way.

Right! The show was in Pittsfield, and then some of the corps ended up in Springfield, which is on the way to DC... if you want to go the long way.

Yeah, that would be a pretty odd way to get from Pittsfield to DC. Not that corps have ever done anything like go east to go west... that NEVER happens...

True, its certainly possible if they intended to treat the Corps to a visit there with a bit of a detour.