Drum Corps horror stories

I think it was Cap Reg 06 that had like 30 people go to the hospital during a rehearsal day in Kansas? I think Cavaliers gave them some food?

That was in 06.

I think it was Cap Reg 06 that had like 30 people go to the hospital during a rehearsal day in Kansas? I think Cavaliers gave them some food?

The Cavaliers giving them food had nothing to do with them going to the hospital. It's because the corps was so out of money they couldn't really afford food, so the Cavaliers chipped in to feed them. It happens more frequently than I think some people care to mention, where a corps has to feed another one because of low funds. I think that season was a big reason why they folded right after the '06 season, I highly doubt that could have even made it to Finals if they hadn't been in so close to their base of operations.

I did a search but couldn't find it, but wasn't there a corp that supposedly ran out of money while on the road and the members were abandoned and had to find their own transportation home? But then I think I remember a staff member writing that it didn't exactly happen that way.

I remember some story like that from the 1970's, but I can't remember the corps and it may have been a tall tale. I also heard a tale similar to the person being struck by lightning, but it was an American flag bearer from an unnamed junior corps from the CYO or Eastern Mass circuit who was struck while in competition but she remained at attention and didn't move and the shoe went on. Drill instructors were full of these stories which probably were not true but we believed them.

I do know Boston Crusaders ran out of money in 1983 while in England and had to phone home for emergency cash which I believe came from the city of Boston. I'm not sure any corps has survived from as many disappointments as BAC which is one major reason why I enjoy seeing them do so well today.

I remember some story like that from the 1970's, but I can't remember the corps and it may have been a tall tale.

The getting left behind one was Revolution, and it just happened last year. They pretty much got stuck at Finals last year because of a ton of factors. There was a huge thread about it in the forums last year, and almost killed the corps. They are on the field this year, but it's pretty much a new corps.

I'm not sure if it was '77 or '78 while I was marching with the Cabs, but we had, I believe, the American Legion Parade in West Paterson, NJ before we were heading to march in the Reading Buccaneers show that night. On the way back to the Post, we were informed that one of the Muchachos, David Renaldo and a couple of other Muchachos were in a horrific accident on Route 80 heading back from the parade. I remember coming off the field at Reading that night when Jim Costello told all of us that David was in dire need of blood, and if we could, to go to the hospital when we got home to donate. Unfortunately, David died that night. It was a tragic night for everyone in Hawthorne.

It was 1976 a week before tour. I played bass2 that year in the Muchachos. It was a sad time.

Jay

• Like 1

In '99, SCV lost one of their bass players, Art Velarte (sp?) right after Memorial Day camp, back in the days before they moved in that weekend. He was driving back down to Riverside and was killed in a car accident. It was a huge loss, and to remember him, the final form of the show is an "A" in the hornline and a "V" in the drums. There is also a plaque in the hall memorializing him

• Like 1

Met some Boston Crusaders people who once told me that the last couple weeks of the 1983 tour were rough financially--popcorn and kool-aid dinners, members were chipping in for gas. They were so dedicated that they didn't throw in the towel. My understanding was that Bill Cook helped make it possible for them to get home from Madison.

Please feel free to correct/add to this.

* I had to edit this after reading a post above. This was the Crusaders, not 27 as oriinally posted. My humble apologies to both corps.

Edited by Elmo Blatch

The Cavaliers giving them food had nothing to do with them going to the hospital. It's because the corps was so out of money they couldn't really afford food, so the Cavaliers chipped in to feed them. It happens more frequently than I think some people care to mention, where a corps has to feed another one because of low funds. I think that season was a big reason why they folded right after the '06 season, I highly doubt that could have even made it to Finals if they hadn't been in so close to their base of operations.

A friend of mine who was a member of Cap Reg 06 has told me that at various points during the season the members would end up eating fast food meals because the corps didn't have enough money. I know BITD this was standard operating procedure. But in this day and age where every corps has a cook truck, it's pretty rare.

A WC Corps came very close to not making Indy last season.

If it wasn't for the intervention of various staff & parents they would have finished the season in July.

Thankfully they have great staff this year.

okay a couple here

1975 Legionaires disease outbreak in Philly that caused a number of corps (including the Bluecoats) to not attend championships week for fear of exposing the members.

And on the lighter side.

in 1984 we were heading to a show in Cleveland, Ohio from our practice Facility in Canton, Ohio. Somehow the bus I was on got seperated from the other busses. When we saw the You are now entering Pennsylvania sign out the window we knew something was wrong. Luckily our bus made it to the show site in plenty of time, but how do you end up in pittsburgh when it's a straight shot up I77 from Canton to Cleveland?