Did DCI Get it Right?

Entertainment or Artsy  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Will a fan favorite show that invokes lots of applause win DCI this year? Or will it be another abstract artsy show like we have seen in years past?

• Fan Favoriate = entertaining will win this year.
    • Artsy and gets mild applause will win again, business as usual in DCI.

The new judging system developed by Michael Cesario was unveiled this past weekend. Now that scores are up, did DCI get it right? Those of you that watched the Akron and Louisville show live, as well as all those that saw the theater broadcast what are your thoughts? Has DCI taken a step in the right direction on judging, or is it the same old thing with a new name?

Will a fan favorate show that fans go wild over win finals this year? Or some abstract artsy thing that barely gets applause from the audience win again?

Edited by RBarron10
  • Like 2

The new judging system developed by Michael Cesario was unveiled this past weekend. Now that scores are up, did DCI get it right? Those of you that watched the Akron and Louisville show live, as well as all those that saw the theater broadcast what are your thoughts? Has DCI taken a step in the right direction on judging, or is it the same old thing with a new name?

Will a fan favorate show that fans go wild over win finals this year? Or some abstract artsy thing that barely gets applause from the audience win again?

They took out the word Ensemble and put Analysis.

Am I missing anything else?

• Like 7

is analysis pretty much ensemble still though? I'm still not quite clear on that. I was looking for an ensemble score for the last two shows and just assumed it would be under analysis. maybe analysis will be more consistent... as ensemble scores were always all over the place until the last two weeks of tour.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=5bc74534-fd5c-43c6-a28d-78c928fdd00a

I was surprised with Cesario's answer last night when they asked him about the new sheets. They asked him that it seemed the show design was more involved in the new sheets and were making sure they had that right and he completely disagreed. To me, these new sheets finally take the overall design of the show and what the members are being asked to do into consideration. The old sheets never really did that, which is the main reason I like the changes on these sheets.

Edited by wilme861
  • Like 1

PR clearly showed up better prepared and better able to perform their show to the audience than the other 5 corps. If all the talk about the new sheets is true, we should see that in the results, and we did. So +1 new sheets. Doesn't mean PR will be in the same position in August, but they got rewarded for what they achieved on June 16th.

I was surprised with Cesario's answer last night when they asked him about the new sheets. They asked him that it seemed the show design was more involved in the new sheets and were making sure they had that right and he completely disagreed. To me, these new sheets finally take the overall design of the show and what the members are being asked to do into consideration. The old sheets never really did that, which is the main reason I like the changes on these sheets.

I also thought Cesario's answer on the changes was a little bizarre. I mean, who really cares that you changed the sheets from portrait to landscape or that you should read them back to front? We care about the differences in what will be rewarded under the old and new systems.

• Like 3

These judges have been doing it for decades and won't change their approach for the most part. The only significant changes would be changing % allocation to GE, Music, or Vis. I do think having a list of questions is more appropriate as compared to the long blurbs on the back that no one reads.

• Like 1

Well, Cadets were a fan-friendly show and they won last year on the old sheets.

I have to agree the new sheets don't seem to have changed much, and in fact yes, do appear to emphasize design over performance *more* than the old sheets. OTOH, they never released all the old sheets, so it's a little hard to say that with confidence. But the wording is so vague that it's ultimately meaningless.

As for the explanations of each category on the back of the sheets, I agree that questions are the right format, but the questions given don't always fit with the possible answers. eg, on the Visual Proficiency sheet under "Content":

* "Are there musical challenges such as meter, pulse, tempo, and any of the wide variety of possibilities within pulse, tempo, and meter?" That you can answer with "Rarely", "Infrequently", "Sometimes", "Usually", or "Always".

* "What is the range and quality of expression through body, equipment, and form given to the members of the percussion, brass, and color guard?" "Usually." Whahuh?

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

Not voting. This is bait. The show that is cleanest and is performed best will win. Always has been that way.

• Like 2