Did DCI Get it Right?

Entertainment or Artsy  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Will a fan favorite show that invokes lots of applause win DCI this year? Or will it be another abstract artsy show like we have seen in years past?

• Fan Favoriate = entertaining will win this year.
    • Artsy and gets mild applause will win again, business as usual in DCI.

Edited by kaseyW

The title of this post doesn't give away your purpose, but the way you phrase the options shows what you prefer and what kind of responses you are trying to get. So why disguise the fact that you have a strong opinion and are looking for others to re-affirm the way you feel? You could have at least considered the possibility that a show can be both entertaining and artistic. But of course you would not have gotten your desired result.

In politics this is what is known as "push polling".

Edited by musclebud
  • Like 1

Lets be honest: you have to find the happy medium. If a show wins on entertainment merit alone, you no longer encourage the activity to innovate, which I guess some people wish we were still in the 70s. I don't think the 'wow' factor would exist anymore if corps weren't allowed to experiment with new things until something wonderful came out. You also shouldn't be able to win on pure difficulty, talent, and innovation alone. The activity would stop being entertaining if being entertaining stopped being rewarding. You need to fall somewhere in between:;push the envelope while still pulling on the heart-strings of your audience.

• Like 3

Lets be honest: you have to find the happy medium. If a show wins on entertainment merit alone, you no longer encourage the activity to innovate, which I guess some people wish we were still in the 70s. I don't think the 'wow' factor would exist anymore if corps weren't allowed to experiment with new things until something wonderful came out. You also shouldn't be able to win on pure difficulty, talent, and innovation alone. The activity would stop being entertaining if being entertaining stopped being rewarding. You need to fall somewhere in between:;push the envelope while still pulling on the heart-strings of your audience.

Exactly!

While I wasn't really a fan of the options given, I think the new judging system is a step in the right direction. Although, I don't see any reason that a "fan favorite" show can't be entertaining and well executed at the same time. Cavaliers 2002 comes to mind, impeccable execution from top to bottom, maybe a little "artsy" (even though I hate that word), but largely a crowd favorite.

There's no reason for "fan favorite" shows to be winning DCI Finals. They're simply not the best. Think about it, how often does the top-grossing box office film win the Oscar for Best Picture? Almost never. Why? Because adults don't like that stuff. They like serious films that make them think or feel more sophisticated. Art wins out over fan favorite every year.

ding ding ding ding! Tell em what he wins Bob!

I was at the Akron show. I thought Phantom was wonderful, and wonderfully prepared as well. And I gave them a standing ovation, along with most of the crowd.

Then Crown came on and within about 2 minutes, I forgot that Phantom had played. It was THAT much of a stark difference to me. The horn book in the opener alone made my jaw drop. And I am a percussion guy.

Cadets were good, but I simply don't see where their difficulty comes from in the horn book. I mean, the jazzy jingle bells was both my favorite, and also the most difficult piece for them (IMHO). But Tubular bells? Love the tune, but if I can tongue it, as a percussionist, how hard is it for a horn player?

I would have scored it Crown (by 2 points), Phantom, Cadets.

Full disclosure: My fav corps are the Cavies.