Albuquerque, Tues. 6/19

looking at last years 1st show scores. (other than PR 1st show 69.300 this year).

6/11

SCV 68.450

BK 64.000

Acad 64.400

but last year's SCV corps was very, very weak at the first shows of the season. It seems like this corps will come out of the gate much stronger, but every corps is scoring a bit lower than this year, at least according to DCI's Competitive Edge article, which said the average score for the first show was 3ish points lower than last year.

Isn’t this the show Vanguard always wins, even if they don’t beat the other corps for the rest of the season?

It’s always a gimmie show for SCV

It’s that Academy SCV thing

• Like 1

but last year's SCV corps was very, very weak at the first shows of the season. It seems like this corps will come out of the gate much stronger, but every corps is scoring a bit lower than this year, at least according to DCI's Competitive Edge article, which said the average score for the first show was 3ish points lower than last year.

yes everyone is down.

Isn’t this the show Vanguard always wins, even if they don’t beat the other corps for the rest of the season?

It’s always a gimmie show for SCV

It’s that Academy SCV thing

No, they don't always win this one. They lost in last year, 2009, and i believe 2008. I don't know how far back this show goes, but it doesn't always mean an SCV win.

You may be thinking of the Mesa, AZ show. I don't think they've ever lost at that one (They even beat Phantom there for the only time in 08)

yes everyone is down.

It could be because last year, the first show was the Top 8, and in terms of spreads and scoring, I'm sure they all got a little bit of a boost.

The fact everyone is a little bit lower is always why I see someone popping a 73 tonight to be a bit tough. I'm thinking 70-71 will be the ceiling for tonight's show.

best of luck to everyone!!!!

Will anyone be there tonight reporting from the show? I want to know how it goes. Jesse? You going to give us some play-by-play?

It could be because last year, the first show was the Top 8, and in terms of spreads and scoring, I'm sure they all got a little bit of a boost.

The fact everyone is a little bit lower is always why I see someone popping a 73 tonight to be a bit tough. I'm thinking 70-71 will be the ceiling for tonight's show.

best of luck to everyone!!!!

Will anyone be there tonight reporting from the show? I want to know how it goes. Jesse? You going to give us some play-by-play?

Yes good luck to all tonight.

Note: the three corp that are down from last year are Crown, Cavs and BS. Just looking at the 1st shows.

Phantom sure hightailed it quickly from Ohio by bus to New Mexico for this one. I wonder if that might be a slight factor in this one tonite.

I was texting a buddy I marched with that was at Phantom's rehearsal today and said, "they all actually looked exhausted" when I asked her about that. But that could be probably from just early season rehearsals still kicking people's butts. Driving all night sucks, especially with a full rehearsal day that follows that...twice. I think they'll feed off another show night, and will be fine by the time they step off.

And that was my first post on here. :)

• Like 1

I'll admit, I was quite concerned with the future identity of Vanguard after last year. However, the corps I saw this last weekend was both unmistakably Santa Clara and unmistakably strong across the board. I think they win tonight handily.

• Like 3

I think the Santa Clara Cavies will defeat the Rockford Vanguard!!! LOL Sorry...couldn't resist. In truth I think both Jeff and Rick have done a good job adopting their new families.

laughing.gif

Actually I'm really looking forward to seeing what SCV does with their repertoire!

Edited by Fan Mom

Having grown up in ABQ I know they will be enjoying some great dry evening weather. We never got drum corps in the Q when I lived there.