George Hopkins

Instrumentation never made drum corps unique. The experience the members receive now and then are what make it the great activity it is. Instrumentation has changed pretty much forever.

So what makes drum corps, drum corps?

It's all of the above, plus a unique style of performance which, sorry guys, is most definitely tied to the instrumentation. I will never say drum corps isn't about the experience, but it's also about the look and the sound. To try and drop either one from the definition is naive at best, dishonest at worst.

with love....

Grandpa

I agree with Grandpa. If you take away one of the few distinctions we have left, we lose the symbiotic relationship between the experience and the instrumentation- we assimilate into the collective and we BOW to the pressure and public perception of "band."

Thus we will end up trivializing our product since the image of marching ensembles seems to me at least very trivial in the eyes of the public.

If they don't have the eyes or the ears for excellence in a Drum Corps with all brass, they won't have them for a revved-up marching band.

The brass and drum sound though INCREASES the odds of noticing such excellence because of the very nature of its sound.

Is band great? Yes. But realize this: it's one thing to be a part of something great, it's quite another to MAKE something great.

In other words, it's one thing to assimilate into something great like the band world, but it's quite another to propel a unique art-form like Drum Corps to its fullest potential. We have by NO MEANS exhausted our methods of self-promotion OR design, but remember now, education here is a GIVEN. It's not the end, but the means to the end- the end being to sell T-shirts. It's one of the pillars of our survival.

If the band world wants to promote itself and their brand of music education by rehearsing and performing the way we do, good on them. Help them any way you can and give them money, Hopkins! Instead of creating Cadets^2 perhaps you should have attempted to start a summer band that does exhibition shows. You could wrap it in Drum Corps packaging by talking about what you do and what you learn. It could be the founding member of a new circuit- while still riding the coat tails of the fame your organization has. We have Open Class, World Class and now we can have....wait for it...

Band Class.

• Like 2

I agree with Grandpa. If you take away one of the few distinctions we have left, we lose the symbiotic relationship between the experience and the instrumentation- we assimilate into the collective and we BOW to the pressure and public perception of "band."

Thus we will end up trivializing our product since the image of marching ensembles seems to me at least very trivial in the eyes of the public.

If they don't have the eyes or the ears for excellence in a Drum Corps with all brass, they won't have them for a revved-up marching band.

The brass and drum sound though INCREASES the odds of noticing such excellence because of the very nature of its sound.

Is band great? Yes. But realize this: it's one thing to be a part of something great, it's quite another to MAKE something great.

In other words, it's one thing to assimilate into something great like the band world, but it's quite another to propel a unique art-form like Drum Corps to its fullest potential. We have by NO MEANS exhausted our methods of self-promotion OR design, but remember now, education here is a GIVEN. It's not the end, but the means to the end- the end being to sell T-shirts. It's one of the pillars of our survival.

If the band world wants to promote itself and their brand of music education by rehearsing and performing the way we do, good on them. Help them any way you can and give them money, Hopkins! Instead of creating Cadets^2 perhaps you should have attempted to start a summer band that does exhibition shows. You could wrap it in Drum Corps packaging by talking about what you do and what you learn. It could be the founding member of a new circuit- while still riding the coat tails of the fame your organization has. We have Open Class, World Class and now we can have....wait for it...

Band Class.

Drum corps are bands. To the average person there is no difference between a drum corps performing and a marching band performing. It was that way 'then' and it is that way 'now'.

It is not the 'band world' that wants to prmote itself...the discussion here is that there is at least one person in DCI (we know who that is! :smile: ) who thinks WW should be part of DCI corps in some form or other!

• Like 1

Sunshine is the best antiseptic.

Sorry, meant to click on positive but I neg voted this.

Instrumentation never made drum corps unique.

I will go out on a limb and say this puts you in the EXTREME minority.

Drum corps are bands. To the average person there is no difference between a drum corps performing and a marching band performing. It was that way 'then' and it is that way 'now'.

False premise. Drum Corps is not band, at least it didn't used to be. Now it's more of a gray area thanks to the people in DCI who allowed things to go the way they have.

And I like Crunchy Tenor's Yamaha Theory. It goes along the lines of the "Follow the Money" corollary, which is how life often works.

Edited by atlvalet
  • Like 1

I will go out on a limb and say this puts you in the EXTREME minority.

False premise. Drum Corps is not band, at least it didn't used to be. Now it's more of a gray area thanks to the people in DCI who allowed things to go the way they have.

And I like Crunchy Tenor's Yamaha Theory. It goes along the lines of the "Follow the Money" corollary, which is how life often works.

extreme, but vocal

:tongue:

• Like 1

I have a new theory. It's called the MikeD PAC theory. GH, Yamaha and Yea! are funneling a large amount of money to MikeD, in exchange for MikeD lobbying DCP to change opinions.

P.S. The above was written with tongue firmly implanted in cheek.

• Like 2

I have a new theory. It's called the MikeD PAC theory. GH, Yamaha and Yea! are funneling a large amount of money to MikeD, in exchange for MikeD lobbying DCP to change opinions.

well heck, if people are gonna get paid, sign me up

:tongue:

lol...funny....except DCP isnt changing anyones mind :w00t: