Oregon Crusaders 2012

Hey there Open Class fans,

The Director of the Oregon Crusaders just sent out this note and I thought I'd share it here. Can't wait for this show to get out on the road!

Hey all, Here's an update from the first 3 1/2 days of Move-in

The show is coming along very nicely. Last night, the brass and percussion ran full ensemble on the field through the Red production. Recall that there are 7 color productions - White, Black, Orange, Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow. The Blue production is very short and shouldn't take much time at all. The plan for today is to clean some of what we have and start drill for Green.

Despite the cold, rainy weather, the spirit of the members seems very high. All are working very hard and having a good time doing it. As things really start to clean up, they see the results of their labors. The staff is also pleased with the progress and the work ethic of the members. We will all continue to push to put out the best show possible. No letting our foot off the gas.

No serious injuries and not trips to the ER. That's a good thing. ;-)

This year, I've been especially impressed with the vet leadership. This is starting to become a corps that is led in great part by the membership, and less by the staff. They have been meeting regularly since the camp season and, they are embracing the whole, "lead by example" model. It's something that we've tried to instill in them (as I'm sure most of you parent have too) and it's great to see some of that taking hold and put into action. Along with that, they are starting to set their own high standards for behavior on and off the field. How cool is that?

It's the way things should be...

I'm hoping for another high finish for this corps again this season. Good luck OC! :thumbup:

UPDATE:

Last night the Oregon Crusaders kicked off their summer tour with a standstill performance at Directors Park, right in the heart of Downtown Portland. Hundreds of onlookers were stopped in their tracks as the night unfolded into a great evening of drum corps. The folks from Chase Bank were there to publicly announce the groups winning efforts in this past years Chase Campaign. Even the Mayor of Portland, Sam Adams, came out and cheered for the kids. Too cool! The corps played though a few standstill tunes like "Hallelujah" and "I Wish" before getting to their 2012 production 'Dreaming in Color'.

Here's the deal, folks - HOLY COW! After two seasons of being the runner-up, this years Oregon Crusaders are definitely playing a "leave no doubt" kind of game. This is the very best drum corps (and largest) this team has ever put out in the corps history. I was completely blown away by the clarity, sound quality, maturity, and intensity this group brought to the table last night, especially seeing as it was their first gig.

The show is definitely going to be a crowd favorite this year. With so many DCI classic tunes being brought back onto the field, there is definitely something in there for everyone. The new horns sound GREAT, too! I can't wait to see this show on a field with the addition of the largest colorguard in the corps history!

Oh, lets not forget about the percussion ensemble either. Definitely the strongest ensemble this group has put out. This battery book is seriously no joke and the members are handling it with a power that has never been seen before with this group. The bass drums are seriously legit once again, too! Mature snares, Great front ensemble, super clean quads (already), and a strong (oceans of notes) cymbal line make this line one too watch this summer!

Make sure you folks get out to check this group out. Lots of good stuff coming out of Oregon this season!

Yes, I am not sure if the arrive in Armarillo on the 18 and will be rehearsing on that day. I beleive they will be there on the 19th, before they pack up to go to San Antonio. You may want to check on the facebook page or OC website.

Edited by Splooie99

That was one of the best standstill performances I have ever heard from OC in this early of the season. Since they start later than all of the other corps, I think they will be pushing everyone this summer. Even some of the world class corps. I hope you all enjoy Dreaming in Color. It has a little bit for everyone.