2012 World Class Standings

please don't forget pacific crest. their latest score is 71.15 at bellflower ca, which puts them in 17th.

• Like 1

Will be updated daily as soon as scores are available!!

including the 7/17 Shows. will update after 7/18 scores are posted

1. Carolina Crown - 86.900

2. Blue Devils - 85.900

3. Phantom Regiment - 84.450

4. The Cadets - 83.900

5. Santa Clara Vanguard - 81.300

6. Bluecoats - 80.950

7. The Cavaliers - 80.400

8. Madison Scouts - 79.450

9. Boston Crusaders - 78.850

10. Spirit of Atlanta - 78.300

11. Blue Stars - 76.850

12. Blue Knights - 76.300

13. Crossmen - 75.050

14. The Academy - 74.700

15. Glassmen - 72.800

16. Colts - 71.650

17. Troopers - 69.450

18. Jersey Surf - 67.800

19. Mandarins - 65.250

20. Pacific Crest - 65.100

21. Cascades - 63.350

22. Pioneer - 60.700

This is a cool poll. The Blue Devils have competed twice in head to head competition this year with Carolina Crown here today on July 18th. BD has beaten Crown both times they've met, and just a couple of days ago more than doubled their spread over Crown from 5 tenths to 1.20 points. (BD is also 12-0 last year vs. Crown since July 22nd of last year). Yet despite this, Carolina Crown is ranked over the Blue Devils.... not only on this poll , but in other polls, including the DCI poll today. How cool is THAT ? I love this mythodology utilized that can make this happen off the field no matter what happens on the field in head to head competition. No other sport can do what we can do with rankings regarding such low regard attached to the head to head, on the field, direct competition in the mythodology utilized.. Go Crown !.... ps, Crown may actually beat BD soon, but this poll is supposed to be based on current daily results not predictions of future occurances. So based upon that, Crown on July 18th, 2012 is ranked ahead of the Blue Devils despite being 0 for 14 against the Blue Devils since last year at this time in direct head to head competition. Yowza !

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Fixed the goof on Pacific Crest's Score and Rank. Didn't think to check that since it was an open class championship!!

to Brasso: i get confused with weighted and unweighted scores and such and dont like averaging scores from the week to get "real" rankings.. the corps get scores every time they compete whether it be head to head or not. i just compile the list of the scores from each days shows and put them going from highest - Crown - 86.900 to lowest - Pioneer - 60.700

• Like 1

Fixed the goof on Pacific Crest's Score and Rank. Didn't think to check that since it was an open class championship!!

to Brasso: i get confused with weighted and unweighted scores and such and dont like averaging scores from the week to get "real" rankings.. the corps get scores every time they compete whether it be head to head or not. i just compile the list of the scores from each days shows and put them going from highest - Crown - 86.900 to lowest - Pioneer - 60.700

Yes, I guess I'm ok with what your methodology used here, SpiritofJSUFAN and we all can make of it what we want anyway. If I had the time ( and the inclination ) maybe I'd try putting together a ranking poll that somehow factors in head to head competition the last week or so with these Corps, and give it more weight in the methodololgy formula used than scores from different shows around the country with a different judging panels, different mix of Corps and so forth. But since I havn't done so, I probably shouldn't be all that critical of those that DO take the time ( like you ) and make the effort to provide us rankings based upon a formula more to your liking. So in retrospect, I appreciate the work you do here with this and so thanks for doing it.

• Like 1

If I had the time (and the inclination) maybe I'd try putting together a ranking poll that somehow factors in head-to-head competition the last week or so with these Corps, and give it more weight in the methodololgy formula used than scores from different shows around the country with a different judging panels, different mix of Corps and so forth.

Hostrauser's rankings do this, to a degree. It's nice to have both.

• Like 2

I love this mythodology utilized that can make this happen off the field no matter what happens on the field in head-to-head competition. No other sport can do what we can do with rankings regarding such low regard attached to the head-to-head, on-the-field, direct competition in the mythodology utilized.

Actually, it's fairly commonplace for, say, football team A to have beaten football team B, but for football team B to have the better record and advance to the playoffs.

But I have to say, "mythodology" is a funny coinage!

• Like 1

Actually, it's fairly commonplace for, say, football team A to have beaten football team B, but for football team B to have the better record and advance to the playoffs.

Not in my experience. Unless its early in the season, if team A beats team B, ( assuming similar records ) it is much more " commonplace " for team A to advance, not team B. Head to head results are weighted very heavily in playoff selections qualifyers. For example, if team A and team B had similar records, same SOS ( strength of schedules ), but team A beat team B.. paticularly recently, it is much more likely that team A advances to the playoffs, or in the case of the NCAA Basketball field of 65 Invite, it is the team that wins the latest head to head match up that typically secures the NCAA bid.... even in some cases wth a losing record. Keep in mind too that in this case in Drum Corps we are aso talking about a BD Corps that defeated Crown a few days ago and on that date also more than doubled the victory spread over them from the previous head to head match up win just a few days before. AND...this " team " ( BD ) remains undefeated. There is no college sport that I'm aware that would have a 2 loss ( to BD ) Crown ranked over an undefeated BD if they utilized the formulas that believes that recent head to head competition results are much more valuable than what teams did against other competitors. But I 'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over what formulas are used with posters for their various Corps rankings here. Its all for sheets and giggles at this point anyway, so its all cool, imo. Seriously.

Edited by BRASSO

broken arrow scores added.

updated to include those scores

• Like 1

Thanks for keeping this up to date!

• Like 1

I'm interested to see how the 13th-18th pack stack up this weekend. I know they haven't seen each other in a few weeks but PC was fairly close to Academy in the west coast. If that spread stays accurate, holy crap will some new developments be made this season! I think crown will eventually overtake BD. BD might be clean now, but crown has more to clean. Now to say crown takes it all in Indy? Can't say, BD is the master of peaking at finals whereas crown only really accomplished that in 09. Loving it though

• Like 1