Advertising in Drum Corps

As everyone knows, DCI has been a great organization and continues to gain fans through the years. In terms of introducing drum corps to a vast audience (much like they did with the ESPN phase) is once again lacking in my opinion. Yes, DCI is pushing this 'Ambassador' program this year, but all in all, it is fair to assume that this advertising effort will only hit mostly high school and college band programs. The reach isnt getting that far and IMO will fall flat by the end of the season.

Advertising drum corps to the mass world should be a major focus in the coming years IMO. as they "Grow Drum Corps", i feel that DCI needs to bring in some major advertising/marketing professionals to help propel the activity to the major market. We know that more than just musicians enjoy the activity, and DCI should continue to capitalize on that, reaching out to those everyday folks especially. World Championships has he capability to move from 20k in attendance to having the entire home side full of PAYING spectators. (because thats what its about right? making money for the organizaion? thats what i got from it..)

(rant over)

No amount of advertising to the general public, no amount of spectacular performance presented in that advertising, no amount of endorsement from respected leaders in other field, NOTHING is going to ever change the public's perception of the activity as anything other than a bunch of geeky kids who could make the sacred football team....and who are thus not worth watching.

It's not a drum corps issue, it's a general public view of the marching arts, and until THAT changes and school marching programs start getting some respect and support for the public and schools, it won't bleed over to corps.

• Like 4

[quote name='wackywords' timestamp='1340460356' post='3154593'

Advertising drum corps to the mass world should be a major focus in the coming years IMO. as they "Grow Drum Corps", i feel that DCI needs to bring in some major advertising/marketing professionals to help propel the activity to the major market.

(rant over)

This seems to be the problem, THEY think they are those major advertising and marketing professionals you speak of.

Cant tell someone what to do when they know everything :cool:

They have done a good job for the niche activity they have, But to go BIG they need help and im not sure DCI and the collection of directors that make up the member corps can set their egos aside, shut up and listen to someone other than themselves.

Just my opinion.

Jay

• Like 2

This seems to be the problem, THEY think they are those major advertising and marketing professionals you speak of.

Cant tell someone what to do when they know everything :cool:

They have done a good job for the niche activity they have, But to go BIG they need help and im not sure DCI and the collection of directors that make up the member corps can set their egos aside, shut up and listen to someone other than themselves.

Just my opinion.

Jay

i feel the exact same way.

i feel the exact same way.

lets be honest, If DCI and the corps were all publicly traded companies and had to answer to stock holders, Under the present business model they have devised (move ins,touring, larger corps, etc, etc) for all drumcorps in DCI, The management would all be looking for new jobs.

Again, Just my opinion.

Jay

Yes, DCI is pushing this 'Ambassador' program this year, but all in all, it is fair to assume that this advertising effort will only hit mostly high school and college band programs. The reach isnt getting that far and IMO will fall flat by the end of the season.

I appreciate the rant, but I think you're missing the point even as you state it. The current thinking in DCI is that marketing to the HS and college programs IS the salvation of the activity. Get the kids, even if it means opening up to any instrumentation, and you get the parents. I don't believe that there's a will for mass advertising because of the public mentality that 84BSsop described.

While they push clinics, look at another couple of examples:

Go to DCI.org and try to find hotel packages for finals. Count the number of clicks it takes to get there.

Go to the FN and count the number of clicks it takes to get to the live performance schedule.

Contact a show producer and have them log into DCI to pull down radio or newspaper ads. While it appears that that the corps photos offer two or three to choose from of the most recent year, the radio ads haven't changed in the last 3 years, there's no coordination for the local producers to market the theater broadcast, and you can almost forget about pre-made print ads.

It's clear that DCI has limited funds for marketing, and those funds are targeted to clinics, not the mass public or even the local public that might come to a local show.

lets be honest, If DCI and the corps were all publicly traded companies and had to answer to stock holders, Under the present business model they have devised (move ins,touring, larger corps, etc, etc) for all drumcorps in DCI, The management would all be looking for new jobs.

Again, Just my opinion.

Jay

To paraphrase Brasso, envision the fox standing in the hen-house...

No amount of advertising to the general public, no amount of spectacular performance presented in that advertising, no amount of endorsement from respected leaders in other field, NOTHING is going to ever change the public's perception of the activity as anything other than a bunch of geeky kids who could make the sacred football team....and who are thus not worth watching.

It's not a drum corps issue, it's a general public view of the marching arts, and until THAT changes and school marching programs start getting some respect and support for the public and schools, it won't bleed over to corps.

As I was reading Sam's first paragraph I suddenly had a flash of a jump-cut sequence featuring Hank Williams Jr singing, "Are you ready for some DRUM COOOORRRRPSSS?" complete with a cadre of "Daisy Dukes" holding up signs ("I'm a Cavies Gal !" etc.) :ph34r:

Pardon me whist I go flog myself for even thinking of such blasphemy, anon.

EDIT: Maybe that sequence could show part of the hornline picking up a staff vehicle, and running across a field with it...mucho macho. You'd also have to show clips of a great looking guard at rehearsal, as most of the guard uniforms aren't anything to write home about anyway. Is there a way to tie drum corps into NASCAR? That's declining in popularity too and could use a boost.

Edited by TRacer

Pardon me whist I go flog myself for even thinking of such blasphemy, anon.

You are going to a dark DARK place one day.....where you'll be forced to watch and listen to shows with REALLY bad electronics and amplification, hearing an eternity of idiots screaming "CCRYYYYSSSTTAALLLL!!!" during soft ballads....and in YOURS case, getting stuck for all eternity in the Tunnel o' Doom with your pants around your ankles!!

Ummmm... somehow the Show-band concept took fire with the public; and it was the movie Drumline, not DCI, which propelled the major rock/rap/country stars to place marching drums on their stages; Honda is also a major part of the Battle of the Bands which draws three to four times the amount of fans and public interest as DCI. The key is flat entertainment; while it is true that DCI has the lock on high quality performance, DCI is way too concerned about progressing the art form and appealing to the academic minded. Face it dear DCI die-hards, watching the traditional black college bands is way more entertaining to the masses; and until DCI people get "that" into their heads and performance mindset DCI shall remain a very small niche in sort of an ivory tower mentality.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 3