Advertising in Drum Corps

People barely make money on these shows. It was NEVER, through history, the gate; it's always concessions. But it would be a disaster, I think, to leave anything up to the audience. Its not like a movie: drum corps patrons are very biased and don't walk into a show with a blank slate in their own minds. We go in with preconceptions, expectations of some and not others, and are extremely judgmental if some direction is taken that some don't like.

Well, if you're saying we're all biased, how can I trust your opinion on this subject?

Well, if you're saying we're all biased, how can I trust your opinion on this subject?

WHALE THEN...

opinion-lol-cat.jpg

I'm j/k bro but y'all get the point.

Edited by Barifonium

I guess you cant but I guess then as I thought the idea is kinda out there...not in a good way..but hey on DCP any idea is worth listening to.......I did text 2 directors I work with in DCI and 1 in DCA to see how they would like this and the 2 DCI directors would be the ones voting on something like this and they kinda said ...are you kidding?...DIDNT say I was on DCP when the kids arent allowed...lol SHHHHHHH :tongue:

they also said you better get back on tour fast..lol :blink:

Edited by GUARDLING

Sports players are paid professionals who can afford to buy/rent in the area of their team. In DCI the members come from all over and pay for the ability to march. It is totally different.

Back in the day, at least my day, only a very few kids were able to march far beyond their local home area. I certainly could not have joined the Kilties in 1970; it was a stretch to drive to Garfield from my own NJ towns.

You have to look at how the world is today and come up with ways to market to that world.

I think you missed my point. My point is that sports TEAMS create ties to their local community even if the actual players come from all over. I know that drum corps has evolved into something where many corps have little ties to their communities and treat them as just mailbox addresses. But, it doesn't necessarily have to be that way.

If they say they come from "City X", their schedule could be configured to spend more time in City X connecting with the community. It's not that big of a change. It wouldn't kill them.

The people in that community wouldn't know where the actual members came from.

And what would be wrong if the activity evolved back into something that recruited more people locally? I think that would be a good thing.

• Like 1

I did text two directors I work with in DCI and one in DCA to see how they would like this. The two DCI directors would be the ones voting on something like this, and they kinda said, "Are you kidding?"

Well, sure, it's easier to design a show to appeal to a relative handful of judges than to design it to win the dollars of a large heterogenous audience--if it's the money rather than the prestige you're after.

• Like 1

Well, sure, it's easier to design a show to appeal to a relative handful of judges than to design it to win the dollars of a large heterogenous audience--if it's the money rather than the prestige you're after.

is it really? What did you design recently...lol

I'll dispute that one till Im blue in the face..lol...actually no I wont..lol

Would be quite easy to get a few claps , I could name 1 or 2 now that would win your money and never make a finals. If that works for ya then , lets just change the whole thing and just have a meter and give everyone a trophy :rolleyes:

I also might bet ya that it would still be the same top 6 maybe 7

Edited by GUARDLING

Not trying to derail the thread, but this does get back to many in DCI are trying to have it both ways: Develop a Major League, Major Tour, Major Expenditure activity (which is normally within the realm of a professional paid adult world) yet keep it a youth driven and youth oriented atmosphere with the youth paying much of the expenditures from dues. To me, if you want Major Tours, Major Expenditures, Major Fans, then make it a Major "adult performer paid" activity (which we know is not sustainable), or better yet tone down this Major talk and get into the reality that this is a youth activity which cannot sustain Major Expenditures. DCI is becoming way too top heavy with the Major Push into Major Expenditures of Major League and it has to stop or it will topple.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

No amount of advertising to the general public, no amount of spectacular performance presented in that advertising, no amount of endorsement from respected leaders in other field, NOTHING is going to ever change the public's perception of the activity as anything other than a bunch of geeky kids who could make the sacred football team....and who are thus not worth watching.

It's not a drum corps issue, it's a general public view of the marching arts, and until THAT changes and school marching programs start getting some respect and support for the public and schools, it won't bleed over to corps.

The advertising world in general has not been pleasant or kind to the marching arts in it's public reflection of the activity within ads that call for a marching and/or musical ensemble, which directly reflects on the drum corps activity.

The marketing media (print and electronic) has ads that depict band members in poor fitting uniforms, wearing head gear in a "dufus" way, casting call general actors marching like they have a load in their drawers, etc. etc.

It reminds one of the Gomer Pyle character when he was uniformed up as a deputy in several episodes of the old Andy Griffith Show....dis-shoveled and dufused.

The image presented to the general public in these type of ads are poor, at best. Hence, sadly that is how the public perceives the activity.

I think you missed my point. My point is that sports TEAMS create ties to their local community even if the actual players come from all over. I know that drum corps has evolved into something where many corps have little ties to their communities and treat them as just mailbox addresses. But, it doesn't necessarily have to be that way.

If they say they come from "City X", their schedule could be configured to spend more time in City X connecting with the community. It's not that big of a change. It wouldn't kill them.

The people in that community wouldn't know where the actual members came from.

How would such a thing happen? The show schedule is what it is. Are you suggesting that corps leave off the tour and miss out some number of competitions? How long would they stop competing in your view? One week? Two? They still have to feed and house the entire corps whether touring or not. Plus, they are not earning any money when off the road not competing, and then they'd have to catch up to the tour after their time off.

I fail to see the benefit of any such thing beyond what they already do. The Cadets, for instance, have lately reconnected with the Holy Name Church and perform there pre-season...there is a video link someplace.

And what would be wrong if the activity evolved back into something that recruited more people locally? I think that would be a good thing.

I don't. You would cut off kids from huge areas of the country from having access to corps.

No amount of advertising to the general public, no amount of spectacular performance presented in that advertising, no amount of endorsement from respected leaders in other field, NOTHING is going to ever change the public's perception of the activity as anything other than a bunch of geeky kids who could make the sacred football team....and who are thus not worth watching.

It's not a drum corps issue, it's a general public view of the marching arts, and until THAT changes and school marching programs start getting some respect and support for the public and schools, it won't bleed over to corps.

yep. it may lure in a few fans, but not the masses like some think.

to far too many people in the world, we are "and one time, at band camp...."