Advertising in Drum Corps

yep. it may lure in a few fans, but not the masses like some think.

to far too many people in the world, we are "and one time, at band camp...."

Yup...and that goes back to pre-DCI. My non-corps friends had zero idea why I would want to march around in a marching band all summer long, back in 1968.

funny you say that as your old corps, who left Garfield how many years ago?.....has reconnected with the community and the Holy Name Parish

I mentioned that in another thread...that is a pre-season one-off event...which is just fine if the corps is able to fit something like that into theri schedule. The post that I was responding to went far beyond that, which is what my reply addressed.

The Barnum Festival has been in financial difficulties for many years and at one point was ready to trash it all. I know this 1st hand. Now they also have deals with the city for facilitities to help save , not the drum corps show per say but the \festival. How it will all wash out in a few year..time will tell.

yes, they have had difficulties.

and negotiating a DCA show isn't as easy as a DCI show. at a DCA show, you negotiate with each corps individually. It's not like a DCI package where you buy and they supply the corps.

and yet, they offer tickets for $5, and the community goes all out for this show. I've been there as a performer and instructor, and the crowd, even in the years it was moved to the baseball stadium, was never small. yeah it had diehards, but it also has towns of townies. In fact, the one or 2 times it was a DCI show, attendance wasn't what it is for a DCA show because the locals didn't know the names.....but they know their Hawthorne, Sky, Hurcs etc.

and this year, for $5, they get a show where every competitor has a world championship on their resume. if we hadn't just had a baby, we'd have gone

Y'know....it often seems like you're the only guy who believes me sometimes, Jeff!

because....gasp...it's true.

hey man, I grew up in this crazy game. Met my bride thru this crazy game. mom and dad met through it. No one promotes corps to non corps people like me.

And when I tryto explain it, that's the #1 comment made.

I mentioned that in another thread...that is a pre-season one-off event...which is just fine if the corps is able to fit something like that into theri schedule. The post that I was responding to went far beyond that, which is what my reply addressed.

considering they drove 4 plus hours from spring training, I'd say it was worth it. People in Garfield, and older alumni now have a sense of ownership again.

lets be honest, If DCI and the corps were all publicly traded companies and had to answer to stock holders, Under the present business model they have devised (move ins,touring, larger corps, etc, etc) for all drumcorps in DCI, The management would all be looking for new jobs.

Again, Just my opinion.

Jay

True, but so would most professional sports franchises. DCI is not in the business of running a profitable enterprise and shouldn't even remotely be thought of in that light.

considering they drove 4 plus hours from spring training, I'd say it was worth it. People in Garfield, and older alumni now have a sense of ownership again.

Oh, no argument there. Not sure how much the "People in Garfield" in general were impacted, but certainly the Holy Name alumni and church folks benefitted by this. There has been a great connection reestablished with the alumni the past few years...thanks in large part to folks like Dave Shaw (onceuponatime here in DCP-land) and Greg Cinzio.

yes, they have had difficulties.

and negotiating a DCA show isn't as easy as a DCI show. at a DCA show, you negotiate with each corps individually. It's not like a DCI package where you buy and they supply the corps.

and yet, they offer tickets for $5, and the community goes all out for this show. I've been there as a performer and instructor, and the crowd, even in the years it was moved to the baseball stadium, was never small. yeah it had diehards, but it also has towns of townies. In fact, the one or 2 times it was a DCI show, attendance wasn't what it is for a DCA show because the locals didn't know the names.....but they know their Hawthorne, Sky, Hurcs etc.

and this year, for $5, they get a show where every competitor has a world championship on their resume. if we hadn't just had a baby, we'd have gone

yes it does get all kinds of people...not because its a drum corps show but because its a town activity or part of the barnum festival itself. Lucky for the festival that the town is wanting to keep the festial around because if a politician got in who didnt care then it would all go away just like many other festivals and town things in the country

yes it does get all kinds of people...not because its a drum corps show but because its a town activity or part of the barnum festival itself. Lucky for the festival that the town is wanting to keep the festial around because if a politician got in who didnt care then it would all go away just like many other festivals and town things in the country

That is true...a good portion of our competitions were tied to community events.

people in Garfield NAW old alumni sure. That chapter of alumni is the most supportive and do alot for the corps. Hop would be nuts to let them go although I do know many alumni who still live in Garfield or surrounding towns that didnt go and stopped going to meetings for a number of reasons.