Advertising in Drum Corps

Why? Not many wanted to pay for advertising; not that many watched; it costs a bunch of money; so what would be the point?

I'm guessing so that one would only need to turn their TV on, punch in the ESPN channel number and watch and not have to pay anything...

ESPN for the cost did nothing to benefit DCI

Wait a minute. Did DCI buy into ESPN2 to get on the air? It's usually the other way around. Networks pay the sport for the rights to air them.

Wait a minute. Did DCI buy into ESPN2 to get on the air? It's usually the other way around. Networks pay the sport for the rights to air them.

Whenever you see weird stuff on ESPN2 and ESPN-U, it's usually air time paid for by whoever produced the program. The spelling bee, poker, cheerleading, etc. ESPN doesn't buy that programming...they sell the network airtime to the producers, in this case, DCI.

Paying for the "rights" to do something does not apply to paying for the broadcast time; the advertisers, or the organization, still pays for the actual broadcast time. And even some of the BIG MAJORS end up with problems selling ads for that broadcast time; a few years back, apart from the Indianapolis 500, Indycar was "paying" the Versus Network to show the rest of their Indycar races.

Edited by Stu

I'm guessing so that one would only need to turn their TV on, punch in the ESPN channel number and watch and not have to pay anything...

but DCI had to pay ALOT to get on ESPN. And it wasn't worth the expense.

yes, DCI paid several hundred thousand dollars and or got some sponsors to help underwrite it

I do know that sports that wall themselves into a "pay to watch" situation tend to decline, while sports that keep themselves visible to thrive. Boxing used to be a very visible sport, but it went the "pay to watch" route. More people watch the phony professional wrestling now.

In many markets, you have to buy an extra TV channel to watch the local baseball games. The ratings of the World Series have been dropping over the years, while the NFL's ratings are steady and the sport thrives.

This is key and why DCI will never grow beyond its fanatical audience. As a new fan, who is very enthusiastic, I find the fact that I cannot see full shows without paying a minimum of $50 to be very off putting. I can't imagine what a less casual fan might think. The truth is, DCI's business model is messed up. You are not going to grow your fan base with such large barriers to entry. Basically, anyone that isn't enthusiastic enough to pay for the Fan Network is pretty unlikely to be a continuing fan of DCI. They may watch a theater show every once in a while, but it is just too hard to be a fan of something you can't see.

Not that there is anything wrong with this. If DCI is doing fine financially (doubtful in this economy) and wants to keep its activity relatively exclusive, they are free to do so.

Edited by jasgre2000

This is key and why DCI will never grow beyond its fanatical audience. As a new fan, who is very enthusiastic, I find the fact that I cannot see full shows without paying a minimum of $50 to be very off putting. I can't imagine what a less casual fan might think. The truth is, DCI's business model is messed up. You are not going to grow your fan base with such large barriers to entry. Basically, anyone that isn't enthusiastic enough to pay for the Fan Network is pretty unlikely to be a continuing fan of DCI. They may watch a theater show every once in a while, but it is just too hard to be a fan of something you can't see.

Not that there is anything wrong with this. If DCI is doing fine financially (doubtful in this economy) and wants to keep its activity relatively exclusive, they are free to do so.

No offense, but... according to Team Marketing Report's survey of the NFL: The price of a NFL ticket rose 4% overall this past season to $75 ave. per ticket per game (excluding Play-offs and the Super Bowl which were astronomically higher). Dallas surpassed New England and now has the most expensive tickets in the league with Cowboys single-game tickets "averaging" $160 per ticket. The sticker shock doesn't end with the cost of tickets, however. The Fan Cost Index - what it takes to bring a family of four to a game - is $759 per game in Dallas. The Patriots check in with the second-highest at $597, and the league average is $412. The biggest bargains in the NFL can be found in Buffalo, where tickets average $51 and the Fan Cost Index is $304 (per game), and in Jacksonville, $57 and $310 (per game). And while the TV broadcasts might be "free to the end user" sitting at home drinking beer and snoring on the couch, the cost to broadcast each game on a network is millions of dollars per game and the broadcast time is paid by advertisers. Again...no offense... but...

No offense, but... according to Team Marketing Report's survey of the NFL: The price of a NFL ticket rose 4% overall this past season to $75 ave. per ticket per game (excluding Play-offs and the Super Bowl which were astronomically higher). Dallas surpassed New England and now has the most expensive tickets in the league with Cowboys single-game tickets "averaging" $160 per ticket. The sticker shock doesn't end with the cost of tickets, however. The Fan Cost Index - what it takes to bring a family of four to a game - is $759 per game in Dallas. The Patriots check in with the second-highest at $597, and the league average is $412. The biggest bargains in the NFL can be found in Buffalo, where tickets average $51 and the Fan Cost Index is $304 (per game), and in Jacksonville, $57 and $310 (per game). And while the TV broadcasts might be "free to the end user" sitting at home drinking beer and snoring on the couch, the cost to broadcast each game on a network is millions of dollars per game and the broadcast time is paid by advertisers. Again...no offense... but...

I'm not sure I get your point. Are you seriously comparing DCI to the NFL? We are talking about what it will take to expand the fan base, are we not?

I'm not sure I get your point. Are you seriously comparing DCI to the NFL? We are talking about what it will take to expand the fan base, are we not?

My NFL analogy was in reference to your statements that you,

a) "... find the fact that I cannot see full shows without paying a minimum of $50 to be very off putting."

Well DCI is is the best of the best in the activity; so much so that DCI claims to be a Major League and as a Major League you cannot see an NFL Game for less than $75 per ticket ($160 per for the Cowboys).

b) "... can't imagine what a less casual fan might think."

The casual drum corps fan thinks the same of DCI the same as a casual fan of football thinks of the NFL.

c) "... DCI's business model is messed up."

The DCI business model is similar to any other best of the best activity.

d) "... You are not going to grow your fan base with such large barriers to entry. Basically, anyone that isn't enthusiastic enough to pay for the Fan Network is pretty unlikely to be a continuing fan of DCI. They may watch a theater show every once in a while, but it is just too hard to be a fan of something you can't see."

All best of the best activities have these types of barriers because you have to pay to see the best of the best. Moreover, anyone who is not enthusiastic enough to pay for ESPN, the NFL Network, and/or the NFL all-in-one package fits the same mold as a DCI with the DCI Fan Network. And the only reason fans of the NFL get to see games as "free to them" is that advertisers are willing to foot the millions of dollars per game bill to broadcast a game over the standard TV airwaves.