Stanford Live!

Possibly haha

The music wasn't out there last year. You disagree?

The music was far more accessible last year, but the theme made no sense. (Had they called it "A House Is Not a Home", I probably would have liked it much more, but they didn't.) I'm just tired of getting to the end of shows and having to think, "What was the theme? How did the music relate? Oh, they're so clever." when what I really want to think is "WOW! That absolutely blew my mind! Did you hear those high notes? That's what I call loud! Have you ever seen people move so fast while playing?"

In other words, I want something that is simply mindblowing, not something that is so complicated it blows my mind. :-)

• Like 1

The rocking horse, because of its randomness, and many other reasons:

From Smithsonian:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/dada.html

FTA:

This new, irrational art movement would be named Dada. It got its name, according to Richard Huelsenbeck, a German artist living in Zurich, when he and Ball came upon the word in a French-German dictionary. To Ball, it fit. “Dada is ‘yes, yes’ in Rumanian, ‘rocking horse’ and ‘hobby horse’ in French,” he noted in his diary. “For Germans it is a sign of foolish naiveté, joy in procreation, and preoccupation with the baby carriage.” Tzara, who later claimed that he had coined the term, quickly used it on posters, put out the first Dada journal and wrote one of the first of many Dada manifestoes, few of which, appropriately enough, made much sense.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/dada.html#ixzz1ygcpcDvD

I'm just not feeling all this high brow stuff...to each his own I guess...

• Like 1

I'm reviewing PR right now... I think they should out-score BD today.

(based on how prepared they are overall)

Edited by Cop
  • Like 4

I get that it's a "sound effect", but it's still someone speaking therefore, narration. It could be a sample of James Earl Jones doing "A Lincoln Portrait" (which he has done) and I'd still consider it narration.

Exactly, doesn't deserve a place in drum corps, very distracting to me.

• Like 1

I'm really worried there will be a pile-up in the opening, when everyone is ''improvising'' as they start playing. I just see someone trying to do something, tripping, and starting a chain reaction fall.

• Like 1

Exactly, doesn't deserve a place in drum corps, very distracting to me.

I wish I could plus this, but I'm all out of positives for the day (and it's not even 2 AM yet!)

I get that it's a "sound effect", but it's still someone speaking therefore, narration. It could be a sample of James Earl Jones doing "A Lincoln Portrait" (which he has done) and I'd still consider it narration.

Maybe in drum corps lingo. But usually we call something narration if something is being, well, narrated (like bd in 05 or cadets in 07).

Unless we'd call a sitcom laugh track "narration," but that doesn't seem correct.

I think there's something to be said for using background voices to sculpt audience response -- laugh tracks are a perfect example.

Edited by saxfreq1128

But is having the highest concept the point? Wasn't the whole reasoning behind new sheets and Cesario's involvement to increase audience connection instead of pushing for the highest art show concept? I guess BD just has to be highest in everything....

while i may be at the point of risking absurdity with this statement, that concept of BD's is high all right. just a "different" kind of high. the play and move well, and it's more musical than I expected. the vocal clips are distracting at times, and it comes across to me as they feel they need them to get the show across.....which means they programmed way too deep, and are missing out yet again on 2/'3 of the triad of effect

• Like 1