How Does DCI draw in a new fan base?

Look at the G7 proposal.

Those that refuse to learn from the past are doomed to repeat it

You're right there. I don't think I've ever seen something crash and burn like the G7 stuff. And I admit to a good chuckle while it went down in a spectacular flaming crash.

Well, we're at an impasse then, because I know a lot of the same folks, and they say different. I think until some real surveys are done (which won't be because of the cost involved), we'll probably never know for sure.

On a related note, I taught the corps that led the charge on electronics, and they experienced an enormous increase in fans as a result. So you do have that.

and got a fair amount of heckling too

:tongue:

And we loved every minute of it, especially the kids. The heckling only happened during set up, hardly ever at the end. Even at Allentown.

thats cause my wife teed off on him :devil:

yet in a region where DCI is huge...I mean how many rings have been won on the West Coast?

:rolleyes:

Translation please... "new units no one heard of"???

A small West Coast tour with a bunch of new units no one in the activity has ever heard of...that proves it for me!

It's an example: a trial balloon for summer "marching band" that failed. It's as good an example as any of the fact that there wasn't enough interest and membership to keep it going.

Of course, I know what the response is . . ."marching bands are the trial balloon for adding woodwinds".

However, even the best BOA band ever doesn't wear and tear their woodwind instruments over the course of an entire summer . . . and adding that expense to drum corps, an activity that already operates on a shoestring, just doesn't make sense financially. Corps like the Cadets (who aren't exactly raking it in) might live to regret such a thing in the long run.

Couple that with the backlash (more than just "DCP") you'd get from passing such a thing, and you're already in a lose-lose situation as far as finances go.

Sometimes, the almighty dollar wins out, no matter how many music education sunshines and let's-be-inclusive rainbows we want to add. :smile:

Thing is, I'm all for adding woodwinds . . .in exhibition. It's simple to do, and could probably easily be done now: Cadets or whoever else can still tour, go on first at every show they attend, and get a judged "exhibition" score. Then, we see start to get down to the heart of things:

-what the audience thinks.

-what the membership that year is like.

-what the design choices are.

-how it scores in exhibition.

Easy enough to do, and if enough corps decide to do it, you could even make a stage-show out of it, and make a few dollars independent of DCI. I'd go watch it independent of DCI. . . why not?

So, rage against the dinos here as needed, but, if it were me . . .I'd be asking George why he won't march 'em now if he believes in the education and value of them so much.

I'd love for that question to be posed to him when he brings it up again at another Rules Congress/ instructors caucus.

It's simple to do, and could probably easily be done now: Cadets or whoever else can still tour, go on first at every show they attend, and get a judged "exhibition" score. Then, we see start to get down to the heart of things:

-what the audience thinks.

-what the membership that year is like.

-what the design choices are.

-how it scores in exhibition.

Easy enough to do, and if enough corps decide to do it, you could even make a stage-show out of it, and make a few dollars independent of DCI. I'd go watch it independent of DCI. . . why not?

So, rage against the dinos here as needed, but, if it were me . . .I'd be asking George why he won't march 'em if he believes in the education and value of them so much.

I'd love for that question to be posed to him when he brings it up again at another Rules Congress/ instructors caucus.

I'd love to see Cadets do this, with George putting his money where his mouth is. But I'm not sure they have the testicular fortitude to even consider it seriously. And even if they did, he;d insist they get to go on last :)

He's talking about the old summer band circuit that used to run in California at their own and at DCI shows. Most DCI shows out west would start with a few bands.

OK thanks, thought something recent was going on that I missed. Great timing as I'm looking at shows using corpsreps and see groups listed as "youth band" insome of the left coast shows. This explains what I'm seeing.

I'm not including the YB scores in the info I'm compiling (man is it getting huge) but at least I know......

Edited by JimF-LowBari