Pioneer 2012

I have not and will not be able to get to a show this year.

My dear Pioneer. I know the show they are doing, and I know it's early, so there aren't many reviews out there yet, but, how is the corps looking?

Are the scores about the same, so far, as they have been for the past few years?

I saw that someone had said, and I quote, "they look waaaaaaay super young" this year.

Also, that they have a huge percussion line that equals the number of horns.

I know, as we all do, that numbers for quite a while have been a struggle [disclaimer* - this shall not be allowed to turn into the typical flambait that some threads do], but I really am just curious as to why a corps, any corps, would do this? There is no snarkyness in this, I am truly curious.

Could it be that Pioneer just wants to make sure that they have the opportunity to allow as many members who want to march to march? I am absolutely OK with that. In fact, kudos to them for that.

Does that affect the quality of the show (i.e balance, musicality, etc)?

Also, I have heard in the past that there have been some transportation issues, last year? Have these been resolved? I would think so, since they are out and about.

Whatever the final score is, I am just happy to have Pioneer out. Educating, Equipping and Empowering students from around the globe and sharing the Better Everyday experience!

Go get'em Pioneer!

I saw Pioneer at the Madison show. They have a much better show this year. Better brass book. Drill is more advanced. They sounded shaky but it was also their first competition. I think each section of the corps is stronger than last year. It will be interesting to see how they progress over the Summer.

Best wishes to the kids in Pioneer. Work hard and have fun.

• Like 2

Hi there Lansing here... Brass caption head and co-program coordinator. To touch on a few things mentioned...

The brass/perc ratio isn't exactly what we wanted but it is what it is. We still are considering adding a few horns here and there if it is feasible for both parties in the next week. Any help in this would be awesome.

This is partly due to injuries and $ issues among some potential recruits that altered plans in the last few weeks. As I view posts and Facebook, no corps has been exempt form this. We could have gained about a dozen new members more simply if $ and sponsors were there for them.

A major thing I have noticed is not just lack of $ but a lack of knowledge from kids as to HOW to ask for sponsors. Many of them have no idea how. It is alien to them and impedes their ability to raise $ even for us, as a relatively inexpensive option compared to other corps. I see this as a future problem for everyone as the economy continues to be an

Issue.

Feedback has been positive about the show and design so far. We have much to add as we move forward. The average age is still relatively close to last year, around 19. That isn't confirmed yet, but is an educated guess.

Let me know If you have more questions that I feel qualified to answer. There's alot of good energy around the corps overall and the staff and members are energized to add to the program to make it complete in the next few weeks.

Best,

Lansing

• Like 6

Also... As I am on a bus and doing this via iPhone... Please excuse any typos. Thanks!

-Lansing

Got to see Pioneer at the Brillion parade the other week, they looked very sharp and the drumline was smokin'! Missed the Madison show but will get to see them in Cedarburg next week (w00t!).

Also, heard on the radio that Pioneer performed at the opening ceremonies for Milwaukee's SummerFest today and the audience flat-out loved it. Fantastic!

Have a great year, Pioneer! :thumbup:

Hi there Lansing here... Brass caption head and co-program coordinator. To touch on a few things mentioned...

The brass/perc ratio isn't exactly what we wanted but it is what it is. We still are considering adding a few horns here and there if it is feasible for both parties in the next week. Any help in this would be awesome.

This is partly due to injuries and $ issues among some potential recruits that altered plans in the last few weeks. As I view posts and Facebook, no corps has been exempt form this. We could have gained about a dozen new members more simply if $ and sponsors were there for them.

A major thing I have noticed is not just lack of $ but a lack of knowledge from kids as to HOW to ask for sponsors. Many of them have no idea how. It is alien to them and impedes their ability to raise $ even for us, as a relatively inexpensive option compared to other corps. I see this as a future problem for everyone as the economy continues to be an

Issue.

Feedback has been positive about the show and design so far. We have much to add as we move forward. The average age is still relatively close to last year, around 19. That isn't confirmed yet, but is an educated guess.

Let me know If you have more questions that I feel qualified to answer. There's alot of good energy around the corps overall and the staff and members are energized to add to the program to make it complete in the next few weeks.

Best,

Lansing

youre right, no corps is immune to the $ issue with some potential or current members.. Sometimes kids just dont plan ahead either ( work ) then go the following year. Also another sad fact , and

I ve seen this over and over , they dont have the money for Pioneer ( just an example ) but walk into BD or Cadets with cash in hand..( just example again ).still owing past corps...bad situation for sure..Ive seen a few corps in very bad situations trying to help members. Ive seen winter programs fold. Good Lucl..looking forward to seeing the 2012 program

@Mellohorn were you checking birth certificates at the gate?

What is the point to this post? The corps looks young. Not a negative opinion, so why ask if Mellohorn13 was checking birth certificates?

I took the bait, but I am going to spit it out...