Pioneer 2012

Thanks for replying about the scores also!

I have never quite understood the scoring, nor have I taken the time to figure it out either.

I am curious as what the criteria is for the different divisions. So, if a corps got a 70 in World Class what would that be in Open Class and vice versa.

Anyways, as I see the corps scores, it looks like they are improving! Way to go Pioneer! Keep it up!

I know that it is hard to update from the road at times, but as a loyal Pio fan, it would be great to see updates from members, pictures, tweets (well, not so much there), but facebook updates, and stuff like that. I know that Phantom does that with some of their members (I'm not saying that you have to copy them), but those of us that love Pio and want to see their progression and journeys, I think would like to be able to kind of live out the adventure with them!

As you know, Social Media can be a blessing and a curse, but if used well, it could be amazing to help further the cause, if you will (if done well).

I would be more than willing to work/volunteer to help with this in some fashion.

Thanks for the input on our website!

I would love to put more "real time" info up on the website and/or via social media. As a digital media guy myself by trade, I completely recognize the fact that we're missing out on this area and it kills me at times.

We've tried some stuff in years past with member blogs, twitter feeds and so forth with limited success. I would love to try some stuff again in the future. However, I'm a big believer in the philosophy of "do it right or don't do it at all". The biggest thing is having adequate time & resources on the road to be able to do it right. That means regular updates and in a somewhat consistent format. In the past, updates were sporadic at best and would sometimes go dark for days (even weeks) at a time with no explanation. Often times it was legitimate issues such as no web access and/or simply not enough time. That's understandable to me, but to the "viewers" that becomes frustrating. Rather than people being grateful for the bit of information that they did receive, I would get emails galore complaining about the lack of updates.

We do have a photo gallery which in years past has had several solid contributors from the road, however this year I haven't had anyone submit photos yet.

I'm already working on stuff for 2013 that will take the website in a more mobile/viral direction... I've got some really cool ideas that will be outside of the realm of what people are used to from Pioneer. In fact, I'm not sure if I've seen some of this stuff done on any of the other corps' websites... so stay tuned!

Edited by PioneerWebmaster
  • Like 1

Oh Great Webmaster -

Thank you for this vision for the future.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about either "do it right or not at all"!

I understand about the inconsistencies. I am a youth director at a decent size church and we try our best to get things updated when we do special events/trips, but not everyone lives up to the same standard that a few of us have. Plus, getting that expectation out to some and the understanding of that vision and why it will be beneficial as a whole, can be daunting at best.

I do admit that the actual website is a lot better than it used to be. Which again, some people still don't understand that an attractive, user friendly site is vital to be in business in today's culture. Especially to youth! If people don't like your on-line presence at first glance, they will automatically draw conclusions about your group/people/organization. Even if you have the best people in the world behind that on-line presence, first impression is everything.

I am looking forward to whatever the future may hold. Again, I am willing to assist in anyway that I can, if needed.

After all, even in the virtual world, Pioneer can be Better Everyday.

Thanks for the input on our website!

I would love to put more "real time" info up on the website and/or via social media. As a digital media guy myself by trade, I completely recognize the fact that we're missing out on this area and it kills me at times.

We've tried some stuff in years past with member blogs, twitter feeds and so forth with limited success. I would love to try some stuff again in the future. However, I'm a big believer in the philosophy of "do it right or don't do it at all". The biggest thing is having adequate time & resources on the road to be able to do it right. That means regular updates and in a somewhat consistent format. In the past, updates were sporadic at best and would sometimes go dark for days (even weeks) at a time with no explanation. Often times it was legitimate issues such as no web access and/or simply not enough time. That's understandable to me, but to the "viewers" that becomes frustrating. Rather than people being grateful for the bit of information that they did receive, I would get emails galore complaining about the lack of updates.

We do have a photo gallery which in years past has had several solid contributors from the road, however this year I haven't had anyone submit photos yet.

I'm already working on stuff for 2013 that will take the website in a more mobile/viral direction... I've got some really cool ideas that will be outside of the realm of what people are used to from Pioneer. In fact, I'm not sure if I've seen some of this stuff done on any of the other corps' websites... so stay tuned!

Get Galen to help out he is playing Bari and also has some media experience and pretty good with computers I believe he plans on a media carrer after corps

• Like 1

I love that the tour book is on the website! I still have mine from 2006. For folks who have never marched DCI, take a look at it. It gives a glimpse into the daily life of a DCI corps. I'm sure all corps have a version of a tour book for their members, but it's cool to see Pioneer publish it on the front page of the site!

• Like 1

I'm happy that they are putting Dropkick Murphy's on the field. I like that some corps are putting recognizable music on the field.

I really wish Pioneer could draw in bigger numbers for their corps. They seem like a corps that could do well if they were bigger, but since they're so small, any small mistake sounds really blatant. But hopefully they'll improve over the course of the season.

I love that the tour book is on the website! I still have mine from 2006. For folks who have never marched DCI, take a look at it. It gives a glimpse into the daily life of a DCI corps. I'm sure all corps have a version of a tour book for their members, but it's cool to see Pioneer publish it on the front page of the site!

It's actually the first time that we've posted in its entirety! Besides providing the basic info for parents & fans, my hope was that people will take a look at it and realize that we're out there traveling, rehearsing & competing like every other drum corps. Granted, the tour book only provides a glimpse at what the corps actually goes through in any given day... it does at least clear up the myth that the corps spends half of its summer in church and the other half on cultural days!

Get Galen to help out he is playing Bari and also has some media experience and pretty good with computers I believe he plans on a media carrer after corps

I will get in touch with Lansing (caption head) and see if he can help out in with this!

LRD - If you see this... hit me up on FB or by email!

Edited by PioneerWebmaster

I'm happy that they are putting Dropkick Murphy's on the field. I like that some corps are putting recognizable music on the field.

I really wish Pioneer could draw in bigger numbers for their corps. They seem like a corps that could do well if they were bigger, but since they're so small, any small mistake sounds really blatant. But hopefully they'll improve over the course of the season.

We really thought that we were going to put some bigger numbers on the field. A lot of factors came together (and not in a good way) that led to the numbers we have on the field right now. They've got a great staff on tour with them and should start to show some major improvements as the tour progresses.

We really thought that we were going to put some bigger numbers on the field. A lot of factors came together (and not in a good way) that led to the numbers we have on the field right now. They've got a great staff on tour with them and should start to show some major improvements as the tour progresses.

I understand. I was in a corps with smaller numbers than they had hoped for, just have to make the best of what you've got. I wish them the best of luck this season.