Sound of the South 2012

Thanks to all for putting on a great show! I personally had a great time performing and can't wait to see everyone else again!

Yeah despite the hot weather, (I hear the host corps already put in a request for cooler weather for next year), it was a great show. Can't wait to use that water cooler for next camp to cool down! :cool:

Ditto to all the positive posts about the hospitality shown by our hosts this weekend. Really made for a great first "away game" for us. On a side note, I was quite impressed by the size and assortment of flying bugs that accumulated for retreat. Reminded me of those legendary mid west summer mosquitos!

All kidding asside, thanks again for making this such a great first experience for all of us at Atlanta CV. Looking forward to seeing everyone again on down the road.

Dan

The caption award breakdown for this show was really interesting:

Gold:

• Guard
  • Percussion
  • Visual (tie with CV, not announced)

Fusion Core:

• Brass
  • Music Performance
  • Music Effect

Atlanta CV (is this their official name now? not CorpsVets?):

• Visual (tie with Gold, not announced)
  • Music Ensemble (not announced)
  • Visual Effect

I'm not sure which of these caption awards are normally announced, but at the show, Gold's two caption awards and Fusion's three caption awards were announced, but Atlanta CV was only announced as having won one caption (Visual Effect; maybe the Ensemble captions are not recognized with awards?).

I can't ever remember being at a show where the champion corps was only announced as winning one caption, the second place corps was announced as winning three captions, yet the score gap was 1.6 points.

I guess it's a testament to the importance of GE in computing the final score.

Edited by JimBurnell

The caption award breakdown for this show was really interesting:

I was thinking about that as well, lol.

Also notice on the recap Gold tied visual score with CV with a 14.10, but that wasn't announced

Edited by ToferVis

I was thinking about that as well, lol.

Also notice on the recap Gold tied visual score with CV with a 14.10, but that wasn't announced

I don't think awards were announced for either Visual or Music Ensemble (which is why CV was announced as only taking Visual Effect).

I updated my post to reflect the tie, though.

Edited by JimBurnell

Atlanta CV (is this their official name now? not CorpsVets?):

• Visual (tie with Gold, not announced)
  • Music Ensemble (not announced)
  • Visual Effect

Indeed!

Indeed!

Were the reasons for the name change announced? Just curious.

FYI ...The caption announcements that were read are built into the tabulation program and those are the captions that it spits out... Fran did not take the break down and decifer it!

on another note: Hats off to Shenandoah Sound, Sean, Donna and Russ for again putting on a first class DCA/DCASouth contest. Great facility, lots of rehearsal space, AC in the gym, and lots of corn!

Thank you to all the Corps' for the great performances, in Heat Wave type weather. Looking forward to August when these shows are roaring towards the finish line.!

Were the reasons for the name change announced? Just curious.

There was a formal generic announcement made once. Ive heard different things as to why the name change.

Anyone that has followed Altanta CV over the years recognizes quickly that its changing its identity overall.

The look of the corps proper. The design and programming aspects have changed dramatically. The age of the corps has changed. There are a few old timers still in the line but for the most part its young guns. I mean really young. I was looking at some of the photos posted on the social networks and thought it was a JR corps.

One things for sure...If you live in the South and you mention "The Corpsvets" the first thing people would say would be "the car?". Its was and is a bit confusing.

The name Atlanta CV seems more progressive and professional to me.

Edited by camel lips
  • Like 1