2012 Shaping up to be a disappointing season?

This is based strictly on watching the few shows on Fan Network, the theater and various unnamed sites, so I still reserve the right to change my mind when I see them in Minnesota, but so far, 2012 is disappointing.

Let us go corps by corps of who I have seen

Cadets - You knew 2012 was going to be a let down, when a corps has a year like they did, rarely is it matched the next year. (See Cadets 1987, Star 1991, Cavaliers 1995) However, the show is IMO entertaining, but I was hoping they would have approached it from a Mannheim Steamroller aspect. I think this show will please the fans, but the judges will have no choice but to place it in the 3-4 placement.

BD - When I heard the pre-season recording, I thought WOW, when I watched a few videos, I was left saying, okay, this is missing something. I think it will win, but like 2008, not a show I visit upon regularity. Need to change the ending and have the "Sing Sing" style number be a bit more in your face.

Phantom- Better than I thought, but the closer like last year at this point needs to be expanded on, if they could add another :30, I think they could be a player in the top 3.

Crown - I appreciate that they are taking the Star approach at a "win at all cost mode", very demanding show, but it loses me here and there and wishing for Rach Star Part Dos. I am hoping this show grows on me, it has not showcased very well on video for me as of yet.

Cavaliers - Well,..... yeah, I need to see this one live. Question might be, is this worse than 1997... that may be the only question left for this season.

Bluecoats - I thought last year was the best BC show that I may have ever seen, I was not there in 2008. The show like many have said, loses steam in the 2nd half, so far I agree. We will see.

SCV - I am very disappointed in them this year, I really was hoping they would step up and be a top 3 corp. Yes the drumline is out of this world, but the show is borderline snooze fest. Memo to Jeff Fiedler, pull out the 1995 Cavaliers chart and feel free to use it. Hopefully, there will be more changes to come.

To date, those are the only shows I have seen, and I hope I am wrong, I really do. The worst DCI season I have seen and I have been going or performing since 1988 (I missed 2008), was 2001. Of the 6 that are listed above, maybe 2 are better than 2011. BD and maybe Crown. That is not good and I have not even seen 7-17 yet.

Thoughts on 2012 VS 2011 or as a great stand alone season?

Edited by ohbaby
  • Like 5

Any year that has drum corps is going to be a great season.

True, but even you of all people have witnessed seasons that were perhaps better or worse than others. I am not one to compare 2012 to say 1992, that is not fair, but 2012 VS 2011 or even 2009 is fair in terms of recent trends in the activity.

• Like 3

True, but even you of all people have witnessed seasons that were perhaps better or worse than others. I am not one to compare 2012 to say 1992, that is not fair, but 2012 VS 2011 or even 2009 is fair in terms of recent trends in the activity.

I've had seasons where I thought I was more excited than the year before. I've just had a run of about 35 of them.

It's a bit too early to throw in the towel on being excited. You gave a lot of examples in your initial post and I'm hoping that by the end of the season, you'll be posting a comment about being a bit premature in your analysis.

Let us go corp by corp of who I have seen

I'm also hoping that by the end of the season you'll be writing "corps" and not "corp." :tongue: (I'm giving you a pass today on the whole "who/whom" conundrum, because that's just the kind of person I am.)

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 4

To each their own of course as opinions are going to vary, but I feel that 2012 is shaping up to be an exciting season. After the movie theater viewing, I felt that Phantom, Cadets, Bluecoats and Crown are putting out some exciting shows that I can't wait to see again. Outside the top 7 (and some of these may not be outside the top 7, which in-of-itself is exciting) I think Madison, Spirt, Boston and Jersey Surf are quite exciting. Right now my only disappointments are Blue Knights and Blue Stars...but that may change as the season progresses.

• Like 5

To each their own of course as opinions are going to vary, but I feel that 2012 is shaping up to be an exciting season. After the movie theater viewing, I felt that Phantom, Cadets, Bluecoats and Crown are putting out some exciting shows that I can't wait to see again. Outside the top 7 (and some of these may not be outside the top 7, which in-of-itself is exciting) I think Madison, Spirt, Boston and Jersey Surf are quite exciting. Right now my only disappointments are Blue Knights and Blue Stars...but that may change as the season progresses.

It better, or else Michael Cesario has some serious 'splaining to do.

• Like 1

I've had seasons where I thought I was more excited than the year before. I've just had a run of about 35 of them.

It's a bit too early to throw in the towel on being excited. You gave a lot of examples in your initial post and I'm hoping that by the end of the season, you'll be posting a comment about being a bit premature in your analysis.

I'm also hoping that by the end of the season you'll be writing "corps" and not "corp." :tongue: (I'm giving you a pass today on the whole "who/whom" conundrum, because that's just the kind of person I am.)

fixed, I thought that was a mistake as well....

I agree, but question is, how does it stack up as a whole... like I said, I still need to see more of what I have seen and what I have not seen... I will post as the weeks go on.

This is based strictly on watching the few shows on Fan Network, the theater and various unnamed sites, so I still reserve the right to change my mind when I see them in Minnesota, but so far, 2012 is disappointing.

Let us go corps by corps of who I have seen

Cadets - You knew 2012 was going to be a let down, when a corps has a year like they did, rarely is it matched the next year. (See Cadets 1987, Star 1991, Cavaliers 1995) However, the show is IMO entertaining, but I was hoping they would have approached it from a Mannheim Steamroller aspect. I think this show will please the fans, but the judges will have no choice but to place it in the 3-4 placement.

BD - When I heard the pre-season recording, I thought WOW, when I watched a few videos, I was left saying, okay, this is missing something. I think it will win, but like 2008, not a show I visit upon regularity. Need to change the ending and have the "Sing Sing" style number be a bit more in your face.

Phantom- Better than I thought, but the closer like last year at this point needs to be expanded on, if they could add another :30, I think they could be a player in the top 3.

Crown - I appreciate that they are taking the Star approach at a "win at all cost mode", very demanding show, but it loses me here and there and wishing for Rach Star Part Dos. I am hoping this show grows on me, it has not showcased very well on video for me as of yet.

Cavaliers - Well,..... yeah, I need to see this one live. Question might be, is this worse than 1997... that may be the only question left for this season.

Bluecoats - I thought last year was the best BC show that I may have ever seen, I was not there in 2008. The show like many have said, loses steam in the 2nd half, so far I agree. We will see.

SCV - I am very disappointed in them this year, I really was hoping they would step up and be a top 3 corp. Yes the drumline is out of this world, but the show is borderline snooze fest. Memo to Jeff Fiedler, pull out the 1995 Cavaliers chart and feel free to use it. Hopefully, there will be more changes to come.

To date, those are the only shows I have seen, and I hope I am wrong, I really do. The worst DCI season I have seen and I have been going or performing since 1988 (I missed 2008), was 2001. Of the 6 that are listed above, maybe 2 are better than 2011. BD and maybe Crown. That is not good and I have not even seen 7-17 yet.

Thoughts on 2012 VS 2011 or as a great stand alone season?

Well, alot of these shows will be performed a heck of alot better and cleaner by finals. I think it takes awhile before these shows are "performed" versus being marched. I cannot say there is a season I have ever disliked; but from season to season there are shows that I like better than previous. For example, I loved Bluecoats 2010, but thot last year as part II of 2010.

• Like 2