New Rockford corps

Jim Nevermann

We need more corps like this. Getting kids involved is more important then the final score.

Oh, I completely agree! The operating and membership costs of contemporary-format corps are now nothing less than astronomical. Consequently, the number of corps - regardless of sponsorship - has dropped at least by an order of magnitude. Those costs have unarguably prevented the formerly zillions of kids who could afford, participate, and enjoy the experience in *any* level of corps from doing so. It's the sad fallout of what seems to be Creativity and perfection at [now] all costs.

I marched in three junior and one senior corps: not a one of whom won any contests whatsoever [well, the sr corps earned one title, though essentially by default]... yet I LOVED drum corps! But could any of those corps exist today with the current costs involved? No, not for one minute.

http://www.rrstar.co...d-Corps?photo=0

See text at lower right corner.

OK - sorry but the text at the lower right corner on my screen is an ad for "1 sweet wrinkle remedy". Are you trying to tell me I'm old? (because yeah - you'd be right...)

Seriously - it's fantastic that these projects are sprouting up in so many places. People are realizing that while the world class corps are amazing, there is a serious need for local, sustainable corps as well. Great stuff!

Edited by Grandpa

• 1 month later...

This is exactly what the activity needs. More introductory, grass roots organizations like this, where kids can join with low overhead, and have fun.

http://www.rrstar.co...d-Corps?photo=0

See text at lower right corner.

• 1 month later...