bridgeport

I was very much concerned in advance that the same thing would happen to me, and I wasn't rehearsing all day. I got there at 4pm, but spent most of the next 6 hours in the extremely hot and humid locker room under the stadium. When I got there, there were already two people at the stadium being treated by EMS - one went to the hospital. So, I came prepared. During the course of the evening, I drank nearly a gallon of Powerade Zero that I had on ice. And I made sure I had something in my stomach, but didn't overeat. Two years ago, I went to an arcade at the Jersey shore with my kids, and wound up leaving in the back of an ambulance, and an extraordinarily painful potassium IV. Not planning on that happening ever again, so I plan ahead. Water is not enough. You have to be drinking something like Gatorade or Powerade that's got potassium, magnesium and other electrolytes in it. If your potassium level drops too low, your heart stops beating, whether you're 20 or 70. I knew when I left the house yesterday that the weather was going to be a problem. PLAN AHEAD.

I walked with Jomba out of the stadium when Sky was done, to get a pretzel. He was happy and busting my balls about the Devils, but he did look extremely hot in his uniform. He needed to get out of it immediately. But you know Jomba ... When the adrenaline gets going, Jomba sometimes thinks he's Superman, and he disregards his own medical issues. I love the guy, but he's been like that for decades. He needs to understand that being Super Skyliner should be a lower priority in his life than actually staying ALIVE is :) I hope somebody stays on top of him in Clifton in 2 weeks. I'll tell Evelyn to do it :)

Glen

The heat of the day finally got to Jomba and he was taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion ... word was that he'd be okay and just needed to be hydrated ... it was extremely hot during the day ... will check with him later on how he's doing ...

Andy

Overall, a wonderful show--especially for late June. I think panel got it right. Pretzeltown's encore was simply chilling. Makes me really want to get shekels together to go to Annapolis. Art Harris and the Festival boys put together a tight, well-sorted show. Watch for a "Sideline Confidential" in DC World. And Fran, thanks for coming down to the track and saying hello.

Glen,

I did some safety work in huge Paper Mills and and we supplied Gatorade to our Employees. We warned them not to drink more than 16 oz. in an 8-hour shift because it can make you very sick. Also, no coffee, because as a diuretic it dehydrates you. All other hydration should be with water. Gatorade replaces electrolytes, but not water loss, so a combination of the two works well. Also, no salt tablets. They can make you very ill. Please tell my boss I did my safety talk for the day.

Also, I hope you never experience what you had experienced in the past-life threatening.

Next topic - heat exhaustion

Joke - A mortician was preparing a body for burial and his assistant noticed the body had a plug in his rear end. The assistant asked what it was for. The mortician responded that every time he tried to work on the body it would say "wear your seat belt" or "stay hydrated". The assistant again asked what the plug was for. The mortician replied "because who wants to hear some a##hole lecture on safety".

Kevin

I was very much concerned in advance that the same thing would happen to me, and I wasn't rehearsing all day. I got there at 4pm, but spent most of the next 6 hours in the extremely hot and humid locker room under the stadium. When I got there, there were already two people at the stadium being treated by EMS - one went to the hospital. So, I came prepared. During the course of the evening, I drank nearly a gallon of Powerade Zero that I had on ice. And I made sure I had something in my stomach, but didn't overeat. Two years ago, I went to an arcade at the Jersey shore with my kids, and wound up leaving in the back of an ambulance, and an extraordinarily painful potassium IV. Not planning on that happening ever again, so I plan ahead. Water is not enough. You have to be drinking something like Gatorade or Powerade that's got potassium, magnesium and other electrolytes in it. If your potassium level drops too low, your heart stops beating, whether you're 20 or 70. I knew when I left the house yesterday that the weather was going to be a problem. PLAN AHEAD.

I walked with Jomba out of the stadium when Sky was done, to get a pretzel. He was happy and busting my balls about the Devils, but he did look extremely hot in his uniform. He needed to get out of it immediately. But you know Jomba ... When the adrenaline gets going, Jomba sometimes thinks he's Superman, and he disregards his own medical issues. I love the guy, but he's been like that for decades. He needs to understand that being Super Skyliner should be a lower priority in his life than actually staying ALIVE is :) I hope somebody stays on top of him in Clifton in 2 weeks. I'll tell Evelyn to do it :)

Glen

I was at this show tonight in Bridgeport...I absolutely agree with the current placement...It was a toss up for me for Cabs and Hurc's tonight...I do not think any of the corps tonight will catch Buccs...The Buccs performed the hardest drill which has the most room IMO for growth as the season progresses. The visual program is on another level. I was very disappointed with MB visual program, but I'm not saying it was horrible or anything. I just was not impressed with it. ES brass was sweet, but the color guard staging was a mess and unmemorable.

Every year I've had a DCI Season pass and have seen the Minnesota show they broadcast MBI has been in it and every year I think "There's no way" and then they show up at the end of the season looking and sounding like a million dollars. Don't count them out this early.

Edited by BX5CM
  • Like 2

Every year I've had a DCI Season pass and have seen the Minnesota show they broadcast MBI has been in it and every year I think "There's no way" and then they show up at the end of the season looking and sounding like a million dollars. Don't count them out this early.

Absolutely the truth. No one goes from good to great like Minnesota does.

Nice night in Bridgeport!

Hats off to all the performers for doing the best they could in the tough weather conditions, all day and at the show. :thumbup:

Like Glen said... it was crazy there. Much more humid in Bridgeport than it was when we left NJ around noon to make the trip to the show. I guess the proximity to the water in CT had something to do with that, I don't know for sure.

I get a bit more concerned with the "older set" in the various alumni corps in this weather. Guys and gals in those corps, please play it safe out there in the heat... no one needs to be a hero.

As much as we all love drum corps... it's tough to follow/participate in the activity if you're flat on your back.

For anyone interested I wrote a brief review in the reviews forum. Definitely the best June show I've seen in DCA.

• Like 1

Just got home from the show. Haven't been up this late for several years! Need time to unwind. Might as well offer some bief observations.

Stands were 3/4 full. Maybe 4500 in attendance. Oldtime drum corps kind of crowd.

Hot and muggy.

Fran Haring not working, attired in reasonable dress. Nice to spend time with Fran and his sister, although Fran seemed per-occupied with his afternoon visit to Super Duper Wieners, or whatever that place is called. My little group enjoyed an exceptional Italian place (Tuscany) about 6 blocks north on Madison. Perfect grilled calamari, all pasta made fresh.

Barnum ringmaster looked the part. Arrived on a beautiful old T-bird. Female anthem singer powerful, professional voice.

Skyliners Alumni seemed smaller than usual this night, but that classic music still still satisfied.

Brassmen larger, cleaner than Sky, but can't bring the same gravitas as the old Gabby.

Empire Statesmen "Vegas" show popular with crowd. David REALLY looks the Sin City part. Tightly packed drill. They'll go on at DCA Finals well after dark.

Buccaneers clearly the winner. No weakness in any area. The hornline is very mature (talent-wise) and squeaky clean. Brass arc play during Encore was brilliant, maybe their best technique line ever.

Park City Pride is full in size with a VERY pleasing selection of tunes. An asset to any show sponsor.

Hurricanes look just fine in shakos. Very good percussion. Outstanding "British" guard. Low thirties brass section with at least six open spots apparent. A mid-Finalist for sure come September.

MN Brass percussion seems to be the strong suit. Expected them to take the category. Interesting Bonnie & Clyde adaption, although I'd costume both of the very different from the rest of the guard. Sometimes were hard to pick-up on the stage. Solid brass section. Drill seems a little too stationery. Guard OK, not special yet. MN (and Reading) seem locks to finish in the top three when it's all said and done

Cabs stronger. Contemporary drill. Nice brass sound. Would have preferred less originality in the charts. They'll continue to rise. It ain't over.

Cabs Alumni a usual crowd favorite. Nice reception. Good size with drill movement. Jimmy a real classic, as always.

For me, who once marched Buccaneers, mind you, I was stunned by the quality of Reading's brass. It is fine crystal, yet a sonic boom when called upon. For sure, the "new" staff delivers the mail, FIRST CLASS all the way.

The correct corps won tonight, but it's still early. The hunt's not over.

Nice night.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Great to see you again, Fred!!!

Even if you and the other Buc alums near us were too rowdy. :lol:

I gotta remember Tuscany if I get to the show next year.

BTW, the Dixie Dog (with chili and coleslaw) at Super Duper Weenie was top-notch!

I won't review everyone, as others have done this very nicely already, but I do have a few observations:

Empire - I have to say, I actually thought they would have been a little lower. I thought there were drill issues as well as brass. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I had them much closer to Cabs and Hurcs.

Cabs - Not sure what it was, but I did not connect with their show at all. Big hornline, but I thought it was missing something from the start.

Hurcs - Smaller line, but I thought they played very well. A better designed show than Cabs in my opinion, and that guard is ridiculous...even for June!! I guessed that the drumline was going to be 2nd, and I was right. Those guys are very good.

Generally, the Bucs just have a show that is far ahead of the rest of the field. Could be that they also execute at a high level, even this early, that makes it look so far ahead, don't know. I think MBI will be there in the end. They are clearly the closest to Bucs from a design standpoint in my opinion, but time will tell.

Have been going to DCA shows for several years now, and this was by FAR the best June show I have ever seen. Just a great night of drum corps.

I was luck enough to be in Bridgeport on Saturday, and it was one of the best shows I have seen in years, and all for $5.00.

I am not a music instructor or a corriographer, so in some eyes, I won't even pretend to guess scores.

BUT I DO KNOW WHAT I LIKE!! The Bucs cannot be beaten, but ES gave it a good try.

Imagine,if you can, music even a mere mortal can recognize and understand. Field shows that didn't have to be explained so we could enjoy them.

I never marched DC but I have been involved in one way or another for the past 40 years. During that time we have witnessed the many changes that have occured and agree that most have proven to be for the good of the corps and audience. Over the last few years I have gone to fewer and fewer shows because it seemed that the whole activity was turned over to people who had their own interests in mind, and to hell with the morons in the audience who don't understand it. Well, I am excited to say that Saturday night I was floored, the whole production was outstanding. By the way, most of my preceeding remarks should be directed at DCI, where it appears that the joy of competing has turned into a job.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Thank you DCA and Bridgeport, CT. LONG LIVE THE Caballeros Alumni.

• Like 2