bridgeport

I was in Wildwood 2 weeks ago and I had the spread from Bucs to Cabs at around 3pts.. And in other years cabs with this program would have been much closer.. Even Reading has stepped it up this year though. Empire and Hurcs also have to be much improved be over Cabs right now.. Although I wasnt there tonight I really hope that the Cabs aren't being slotted

The Cabs are not being slotted IMO...Just to note though...This was my FIRST read on all the shows and I didn't even know any of the themes or source music before I showed up tonight.

any word on Jomba? I heard he ended up having to go to the hospital

Discharged

The Cabs are not being slotted IMO...Just to note though...This was my FIRST read on all the shows and I didn't even know any of the themes or source music before I showed up tonight.

I'm not sure I entirely agree but I think we will know more at Clifton. From what I heard they had a few small issues tonight but nothing a block of rehearsal time can't fix. Being only .4 behind Hurcs, I can see them overtaking them and possibly Empire by the end of the season.

Edited by irishbugle

We have the same conversations every year. I was at the show tonight and I understand that no one will really catch Bucs. Look at their program! The only who MAY have a shot is Minnesota Brass. Cabs and Hurcs are always a toss up. Empire was slotted third. I agree. Cabs are doing better than I thought. They seem to still be trying to get back on track with the program. Good for them! I see them taking the Hurricanes by the end of the season. The Hurricanes horn line is much better than it has been in previous years. The problem is their size. If that horn line was filled out, maybe they would finally be a contender for the Top 3 in DCA, but they need to change things in the front office first.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I entirely agree but I think we will know more at Clifton. From what I heard they had a few small issues tonight but nothing a block of rehearsal time can't fix. Being only .4 behind Hurcs, I can see them overtaking them and possibly Empire by the end of the season.

It was a TOSS UP for me between Cabs and Hurcs...definitely too close to call....BEFORE scores I tweeted earlier tonight "My placement 2nite...1st bucs..mb...cabs...hurri...bush" and I inadvertently left out ES which I definitely had 3rd without question.

We have the same conversations every year. I was at the show tonight and I understand that no one will really catch Bucs. Look at their program! The only who MAY have a shot is Minnesota Brass. Cabs and Hurcs are always a toss up. Empire was slotted third. I agree. Cabs are doing better than I thought. They seem to still be trying to get back on track with the program. Good for them! I see them taking the Hurricanes by the end of the season. The Hurricanes horn line is much better than it has been in previous years. The problem is their size. If that horn line was filled out, maybe they would finally be a contender for the Top 3 in DCA, but they need to change things in the front office first.

I honestly don't even think MB has a shot with their current visual program...Their brass is another matter, but that alone doesn't bring home the gold.

Edited by Liahona

Just got home from the show. Haven't been up this late for several years! Need time to unwind. Might as well offer some bief observations.

Stands were 3/4 full. Maybe 4500 in attendance. Oldtime drum corps kind of crowd.

Hot and muggy.

Fran Haring not working, attired in reasonable dress. Nice to spend time with Fran and his sister, although Fran seemed per-occupied with his afternoon visit to Super Duper Wieners, or whatever that place is called. My little group enjoyed an exceptional Italian place (Tuscany) about 6 blocks north on Madison. Perfect grilled calamari, all pasta made fresh.

Barnum ringmaster looked the part. Arrived on a beautiful old T-bird. Female anthem singer powerful, professional voice.

Skyliners Alumni seemed smaller than usual this night, but that classic music still still satisfied.

Brassmen larger, cleaner than Sky, but can't bring the same gravitas as the old Gabby.

Empire Statesmen "Vegas" show popular with crowd. David REALLY looks the Sin City part. Tightly packed drill. They'll go on at DCA Finals well after dark.

Buccaneers clearly the winner. No weakness in any area. The hornline is very mature (talent-wise) and squeaky clean. Brass arc play during Encore was brilliant, maybe their best technique line ever.

Park City Pride is full in size with a VERY pleasing selection of tunes. An asset to any show sponsor.

Hurricanes look just fine in shakos. Very good percussion. Outstanding "British" guard. Low thirties brass section with at least six open spots apparent. A mid-Finalist for sure come September.

MN Brass percussion seems to be the strong suit. Expected them to take the category. Interesting Bonnie & Clyde adaption, although I'd costume both of the very different from the rest of the guard. Sometimes were hard to pick-up on the stage. Solid brass section. Drill seems a little too stationery. Guard OK, not special yet. MN (and Reading) seem locks to finish in the top three when it's all said and done

Cabs stronger. Contemporary drill. Nice brass sound. Would have preferred less originality in the charts. They'll continue to rise. It ain't over.

Cabs Alumni a usual crowd favorite. Nice reception. Good size with drill movement. Jimmy a real classic, as always.

For me, who once marched Buccaneers, mind you, I was stunned by the quality of Reading's brass. It is fine crystal, yet a sonic boom when called upon. For sure, the "new" staff delivers the mail, FIRST CLASS all the way.

The correct corps won tonight, but it's still early. The hunt's not over.

Nice night.

above replt very well written except one part....the placed was packed by 6pm, being my old high school I would know the capacity of the stands...lets just say it was early 90's packed we all 15 of us were there by 530 and walkin the lot by the time we got to the stands for minny it was field seating only.....im talkin the pit was 10 feet from us...I agree minny didnt move as much as they could have so the impact was a little bit down....however what agreat bunch of people, as the hornline was finding a spot to warm my group welcomed them to ct and congrats on last year and they were very humble as a group and thanked us nicely....didnt see reading on field but walked by their hornline warmups and wow, dci ish tight....definite power there. the largest gathering in the lot was over by the hurcs battery warmup, they are definitly throwin it down, very clean and confident. for a smaller hornline they carry the corp well, by not mutting down the smaller hornline. best hurcs drumline in a Longtime...they came in 2nd overall in percussion btw. And yes on the field their colorguard got the gold for sure. as close to dci quality you can get and the crowd LLLoved them with the british dressings....wow overall fantastic show, the entire crowd left wearing smiles into the night. good job bridgeport...what a great time we all had.

any word on Jomba? I heard he ended up having to go to the hospital

The heat of the day finally got to Jomba and he was taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion ... word was that he'd be okay and just needed to be hydrated ... it was extremely hot during the day ... will check with him later on how he's doing ...

Andy

The heat of the day finally got to Jomba and he was taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion ... word was that he'd be okay and just needed to be hydrated ... it was extremely hot during the day ... will check with him later on how he's doing ...

Andy

Sorry about the single word post of discharged but my phone was dying. They gave him oxygen and fluids via IV at St. V's. Their care is still the best in Bridgeport IMO. They had him out of there just before 11. He'll probably sleep all day today. It was quite the scare.