2012 Beanpot Tournament of Drums

Ok, so I have no dog in this race...I enjoyed the show and here are a few unvarnished thoughts on each corps in competition:

7th Regiment: This corps has made huge strides since last year. The hornline (while not any larger this year-I think I counted 22) is already displaying an increased level of maturity musically. The corps switching to bright blue plumes which match the front of the uniform look great....color is always good, and this pops out at you. 7th's battery has come to play this year. I think I recall the line being 6-3-5, and these guys have a GREAT stage presence. Speaking of which, major KUDOS to the visual team...the hornline is marching incredibly well. Spatial relationships and form awareness were very solid (espcially so for what I think was their first weekend out). Marching technique was stronger than a couple other groups, including a world class corps. Great work 7th! I even bought a shirt.

Spartans: These two corps are every bit as close as the numbers indicate. 7th is much cleaner at this stage, while the Spartans have the edge on numbers. Actually, I think the two horn lines are only about 9 or 10 players different in size and the battery sections are almost identical in terms of numbers. The big advantage for the Nashua team is their guard. It is huge and the writing (except for an incomplete book during the percussion feature) is great. As with the drill, the guard isn't as clean as 7th right now, but sheer numbers and the book itself are impressive. Also, a shout out to whomever chose the show silks...they are great! Dramatic, colorful, and they fill the field. I am looking forward to seeing these guys again in a few weeks!

Jersey Surf: This show is alot of fun, but this corps makes me feel bi-polar. On the one hand, because I was a college kid marching in BAC during much of the Bridgemen music Surf treats us to, I am filled with warm memories of In the Stone, William Tell, etc. The corps looks to be full size, and I really enjoy the show (the dancing cymbal line is a hoot!). However, as a visual person, I think these uniforms are problemtaic. They are all blue, but with pretty much the same cut as the vintage Bridgmen "raincoats" and floppy hats. In the current era of tailored, form fitting uniforms and aggressive hornline visuals/body work, these coats might be a detriment. Part way through the show, they do take them off to reveal bright yellow and black vests which resemble the Bayonne color scheme. When they do, the corps instantly looks better. The other point that many folks my age tend to forget is that MOST corps in the 70s' didn't exceed 144 bpm+-.....this show reminds us of that, and while it IS a fun show, it feels (to me at least) like one of my legacy dvds-slow motion. But, again, the show offers much and the hornline handles the "Bridgemen Hop" very well, and the butterflies are beautiful.

Crossmen: Going from Surf to the Crossmen was like a time warp. Crossmen move aggressively, in very sharp black and white form fitting uniforms, and hold your visual interest. They had a bit of a pile up somewhere around the 40 on Side 2 about midfield. It looked like 5 or six brass players went down during a high velocity backing move, but ALL of the kids recovered by the next move...in fact, this was one of the better recoveries I've seen. Good work guys, and I hope everyone is ok. Back to the show, Crossmen look to me to be a bit older this year, and their visual design utilizes the entire field. I personally didn't recognize any of their music, but the program does work emotionally. The ending set of the show (a compressed circle for the whole corps) is effective and dramatic, but the audience seemed hesitant to applaud at the end (even though there were several great applause points during the show). Crossmen ARE quite good this year, but down endings can always be a two-edged sword. In any event, Bones alums fear not---the corps IS back on track!

Colts: Another corps who is having a great year are the Colts. They also are marching very well, and there are three or so very young-looking members of the hornline who everyone should know are getting it done. I love the aggressive nature of the battery, and even though I'm not a drummer, the Colts battery really seemed to me to sell the show. Nice job here, guys. As with the Crossmen, I didn't recognize most of their music, but the show works and I did notice the tune I did know was being hummed along by many of the audience. The Colts are also a step up this year, and special note to Colts DM(the one who starts the show on the podium)....he had the best salute of the night.

Cadets: People who know me KNOW that I am not a homer for the Cadets. It has been fashionable here on DCP of the last few weeks when reviewing them to say something like "when I heard it was Christmas music, I had my doubts, blah, blah blah". Seriously? That's clap. This corps could play "Row, row, row your boat" and stomp the stuffing out of most of their competition. This show is no exception. The Cadets REMAIN the masters of high velocity motion. They are clean, tight, and their hornline marches the bejesus out of this show. When certain other top corps choose 10 minutes of follow the leader at a medium swing tempo or spend 90 seconds mid show posing and pointing, along come the Cadets and simply blow everyone away. This show is incredible and performed at an incredible level (except of tuba feet phasing during "Do you hear what I hear" when they're transitioning into a file way back in the corner on Side 1---it happened at Fort Edward also, and it is surpising because everything else is so darned good). The guard is stellar as usual, as is the percussion section. The spinning Christmas presents remind me of their spinning flagless poles last year--very effective. I love this show, and if you don't think it will be contesting for first place, you're ignoring history.

Cadets 2: This was an unexpected. I thought there would be the traditional horn arc by someone as the encore. Instead, as Cadets were leaving the field at on end, entering at the other was Cadets2, dressed in maroon and gold and coming on the field in a tight block! They performed their entire field show, with drill, in what the audience was told was their first performance. Before I go any further, I have to admit that I haven't been to a DCA or All-Age show in 20 years, so I do NOT know what level those corps are at these days. And , C2 is obviously not on par with their big brother. However, the play like the big corps, they march like the big corps, they look and sound like the big corps, and it seems as though they were pretty much the same AGE as the big corps. They seemd to have about 10 or so holes in the hornline. I wonder...if they get around to say, August 10th or so, and they find, I don't know..10 or so hornplayers from the big corps who want to march another three weeks, couldn't those kids fill these holes for DCA Champs? If so, the DCA folks need to know this corps should NOT be underestimated...they might well rock the boat in September..very impressive performance tonight by C2.

It was a great show. Manning Field, (which announcer Paul Cain insists on calling the Manning Bowl :thumbup: ) was packed, and as he was announcing the various dates for the three OTHER local DCI shows and one DCA show in the next month, it occured to me that drum corps is alive and well in Massachusetts!

Edited by craiga
  • Like 4

Ok, so I have no dog in this race...I enjoyed the show and here are a few unvarnished thoughts on each corps in competition:

7th Regiment: This corps has made huge strides since last year. The hornline (while not any larger this year-I think I counted 22) is already displaying an increased level of maturity musically. The corps switching to bright blue plumes which match the front of the uniform look great....color is always good, and this pops out at you. 7th's battery has come to play this year. I think I recall the line being 6-3-5, and these guys have a GREAT stage presence. Speaking of which, major KUDOS to the visual team...the hornline is marching incredibly well. Spatial relationships and form awareness were very solid (espcially so for what I think was their first weekend out). Marching technique was stronger than a couple other groups, including a world class corps. Great work 7th! I even bought a shirt.

Spartans: These two corps are every bit as close as the numbers indicate. 7th is much cleaner at this stage, while the Spartans have the edge on numbers. Actually, I think the two horn lines are only about 9 or 10 players different in size and the battery sections are almost identical in terms of numbers. The big advantage for the Nashua team is their guard. It is huge and the writing (except for an incomplete book during the percussion feature) is great. As with the drill, the guard isn't as clean as 7th right now, but sheer numbers and the book itself are impressive. Also, a shout out to whomever chose the show silks...they are great! Dramatic, colorful, and they fill the field. I am looking forward to seeing these guys again in a few weeks!

Jersey Surf: This show is alot of fun, but this corps makes me feel bi-polar. On the one hand, because I was a college kid marching in BAC during much of the Bridgemen music Surf treats us to, I am filled with warm memories of In the Stone, William Tell, etc. The corps looks to be full size, and I really enjoy the show (the dancing cymbal line is a hoot!). However, as a visual person, I think these uniforms are problemtaic. They are all blue, but with pretty much the same cut as the vintage Bridgmen "raincoats" and floppy hats. In the current era of tailored, form fitting uniforms and aggressive hornline visuals/body work, these coats might be a detriment. Part way through the show, they do take them off to reveal bright yellow and black vests which resemble the Bayonne color scheme. When they do, the corps instantly looks better. The other point that many folks my age tend to forget is that MOST corps in the 70s' didn't exceed 144 bpm+-.....this show reminds us of that, and while it IS a fun show, it feels (to me at least) like one of my legacy dvds-slow motion. But, again, the show offers much and the hornline handles the "Bridgemen Hop" very well, and the butterflies are beautiful.

Crossmen: Going from Surf to the Crossmen was like a time warp. Crossmen move aggressively, in very sharp black and white form fitting uniforms, and hold your visual interest. They had a bit of a pile up somewhere around the 40 on Side 2 about midfield. It looked like 5 or six brass players went down during a high velocity backing move, but ALL of the kids recovered by the next move...in fact, this was one of the better recoveries I've seen. Good work guys, and I hope everyone is ok. Back to the show, Crossmen look to me to be a bit older this year, and their visual design utilizes the entire field. I personally didn't recognize any of their music, but the program does work emotionally. The ending set of the show (a compressed circle for the whole corps) is effective and dramatic, but the audience seemed hesitant to applaud at the end (even though there were several great applause points during the show). Crossmen ARE quite good this year, but down endings can always be a two-edged sword. In any event, Bones alums fear not---the corps IS back on track!

Colts: Another corps who is having a great year are the Colts. They also are marching very well, and there are three or so very young-looking members of the hornline who everyone should know are getting it done. I love the aggressive nature of the battery, and even though I'm not a drummer, the Colts battery really seemed to me to sell the show. Nice job here, guys. As with the Crossmen, I didn't recognize most of their music, but the show works and I did notice the tune I did know was being hummed along by many of the audience. The Colts are also a step up this year, and special note to Colts DM(the one who starts the show on the podium)....he had the best salute of the night.

Cadets: People who know me KNOW that I am not a homer for the Cadets. It has been fashionable here on DCP of the last few weeks when reviewing them to say something like "when I heard it was Christmas music, I had my doubts, blah, blah blah". Seriously? That's clap. This corps could play "Row, row, row your boat" and stomp the stuffing out of most of their competition. This show is no exception. The Cadets REMAIN the masters of high velocity motion. They are clean, tight, and their hornline marches the bejesus out of this show. When certain other top corps choose 10 minutes of follow the leader at a medium swing tempo or spend 90 seconds mid show posing and pointing, along come the Cadets and simply blow everyone away. This show is incredible and performed at an incredible level (except of tuba feet phasing during "Do you hear what I hear" when they're transitioning into a file way back in the corner on Side 1---it happened at Fort Edward also, and it is surpising because everything else is so darned good). The guard is stellar as usual, as is the percussion section. The spinning Christmas presents remind me of their spinning flagless poles last year--very effective. I love this show, and if you don't think it will be contesting for first place, you're ignoring history.

Cadets 2: This was an unexpected. I thought there would be the traditional horn arc by someone as the encore. Instead, as Cadets were leaving the field at on end, entering at the other was Cadets2, dressed in maroon and gold and coming on the field in a tight block! They performed their entire field show, with drill, in what the audience was told was their first performance. Before I go any further, I have to admit that I haven't been to a DCA or All-Age show in 20 years, so I do NOT know what level those corps are at these days. And , C2 is obviously not on par with their big brother. However, the play like the big corps, they march like the big corps, they look and sound like the big corps, and it seems as though they were pretty much the same AGE as the big corps. They seemd to have about 10 or so holes in the hornline. I wonder...if they get around to say, August 10th or so, and they find, I don't know..10 or so hornplayers from the big corps who want to march another three weeks, couldn't those kids fill these holes for DCA Champs? If so, the DCA folks need to know this corps should NOT be underestimated...they might well rock the boat in September..very impressive performance tonight by C2.

It was a great show. Manning Field, (which announcer Paul Cain insists on calling the Manning Bowl :thumbup: ) was packed, and as he was announcing the various dates for the three OTHER local DCI shows and one DCA show in the next month, it occured to me that drum corps is alive and well in Massachusetts!

Thank you for your review! I have tons of memories of Manning Bowl. I started marching drum corps in New London CT with the Surfers so it is good to see that 7th Regiment is performing well; watch out when this corps marches 40 horns. I'm also glad to see Crossmen back in the mix of things. It's going to be interesting to see how the 12th spot plays out this year. Blue Stars may have to fight off a couple of corps if they are to remain in the top 12. As for the Cadets, no secret I'm a huge fan, their show has tons of potential and they will be right in the middle of things come August.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Nice review Craig. thanks! :smile:

Good stuff... thanks for the review !