2012 Corps at the Crest (Walnut, CA)

Just have time to give a review for SCV, PR and BD. Will try to write some more later.

Santa Clara Vanguard: Their visual package is quite good and has the makings of the style of drill that we have come to expect. The music is straightforward, easy to understand and harkens back to “The Planets” by Cavies back in 2000 (at least when it comes to the part of the show featuring the planet Mars). The contra tubas during Mars are downright mean. So hot! Overall, their impact moments are quite effective and the fans really appreciated how easily they connected with the show. The color guard did not really stand out for me, as I found myself paying attention to the horn line most of the time. Their ending is charged with energy, and audience members definitely were ready to be on their feet.

Phantom Regiment: So much drama is packed into this show. I agree with some that the beheading is not featured clearly enough so that the typical audience member might miss it. Right now, the horn line is playing in a very controlled manner and they really crank it up only during their last number (Nessum Dorma). But what a number! Props to the trumpet soloist - whose playing was so expressive! The drum feature is very cool (and reminds me of the Cavies’ 2009 show “Samurai”). The horn line has some really tasty and difficult passages that are played with amazing and laser-like precision. The technical proficiency of the performers is at a very high level. The color guard have visually stunning costumes and the contrast of the red against the white uniforms of the horn line really draws the audience to the flag work. Great job, ladies! The ending is solid; however, I know it is dangerous to hope too much, but I want an ending that will just rip people out of their seats (much like the ending to their 2001, 2003 and 2011 show). PR should make the top five on finals night.

Blue Devils: I have not always been a fan of BD’s shows, because they seem to go way off the reservation. I know folks are complaining about how weird this show is – especially how there is a voice recording that runs through the whole show. Having said that, I thought the show was genius! It is put together very well, and you forget that there is a football field. There is so much stuff happening that your senses will not be bored. There is something entertaining for everyone all the time. Is it a simple minded show? No. It is fairly sophisticated, and the judges got it right. And oh man, can the horn line throw down or what. The standing back to back rifts (you have to see the show to understand this) demonstrate why these guys and girls are a cut above the rest. As to the horses and them putting on the uniforms…well I found their use to be pretty clever. It seamlessly changes the space, time and the flow/speed of the show. Now if you can trick me into feeling like space and time are manipulated so that all I see is a production (instead of bodies on a football field), then I say keep it up! I felt satisfied at the end of the show, even though there is no bombastic ending where everyone is going absolutely nuts clapping and hollering.

• Like 4

Thanks for the review! But...

'"The Planets" by Cavies back in 2000'

(and reminds me of the Cavies' 2009 show "Samurai")

(much like the ending to their 2003 show)

#1. 1995

#2. 2008

#3. Their 2003 show, Spin Cycle, had a 'down' ending

tongue.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for the review! But...

--"The Planets" by Cavies back in 2000

--(and reminds me of the Cavies' 2009 show "Samurai")

--(much like the ending to their 2003 show)

#1. 1995

#2. 2008

#3. Their 2003 show, 'Spin Cycle', had a 'down' ending

tongue.gif

Actually, cadlag was referring to Phantom's 2003 show.

As to the horses and putting on the uniforms… well, I found their use to be pretty clever. It seamlessly changes the space, time and the flow/speed of the show.

This is a very interesting comment.