2012 Drums Along the Columbia Review (Tri-Cities, WA)

I went to the Drums Along the Columbia show tonight in Tri-Cities Washington. The lineup was;

The Thunder

Oregon Crusaders

Cascades

Blue Knights

Overall as a show, it wasn't my favorite show I've been to but with that being said, I know the people who ran the show tonight and I greatly appreciate all the work that they did to make a show out of what little they had to work with (4 corps...). It was a bit of a bummer to have to spend $20 a ticket to see 4 corps but I guess I'm enough of a fan that it didn't matter. Also, tonight I was able to take my girlfriend of 1 year and 9 months to her first DCI show so that was cool. The format was that they had each group perform and then they did an instant encore. This is where it broke down a bit for me. The diehard dci fans there like me loved it because they got to see more out of the corps but the average fans there had glazed over looks after 2 minutes of each group's encore. So overall thoughts; more groups, only one instant encore at the end. To put it in perspective; it was 2 hour show, only four groups. So props to the folks running the show for making a show out of what they had! Okay here's my thoughts on the groups

Thunder

I will remain unbiased here since this is the corps I was a part of. It's great to see them back on their feet and to be fielding an 80 person corps (biggest since 2007 I believe). I liked the 6 bass drums and the new look on the uniforms. They had a new semi parked in the lot and overall I got the impression that the corps is doing well which is so great considering 3 summers ago they were inactive. They played a very conservative show. It was called "Reflections" and was a Lewis Norfleet show which I usually like. The problem was the level of difficulty. It was very easy and didn't hold the audience's attention. The brass was putting out some sound but I wish they were a little more consistent with their sound throughout the show. I did really like the ballad though. The whole show reminded me a lot of thunder's shows from their early days in 2004-2006. Overall; glad to see them doing well. I hope they can do a full tour next year and I hope to see a little more challenging program next year

Oregon Crusaders

LOVE O.C. once again this year! They are really taking it to a whole new level! They look huge with their 130 on the field. Guard uniforms were very clever. I liked the layering in of colors. Overall the show design for this year is fantastic. I think this show can and will win open class and I really hope they do. It is a really cool and well thought out program with a lot of layers. I hope to see them do more with the props in the back however. Percussion was strong again but still has room to go. I thought the brass sounded GREAT! Pit was up too loud for my liking, it took away some of the impact when the brass came in for the first time. The thing that annoyed me the most was that they parked and played the closer in place because the drill isn't learned yet. I hope they get this learned asap because it was a bit of a sour note on top of a VERY good program from them. Overall- cool stuff O.C.! They have lots of room to grow still which is cool. I see no danger of peaking early and I think they will ride this wave of success all the way to a gold medal this year!

Cascades

Cascades were small; 79 members....one more than Thunder. I'm a fan of Northwest drum corps but I have to speak realistically- this show was rough. The show was "Shinto" and could be really cool but I feel that the concept is not being sold. Part of the problem is their small brass section. They are on Jupiter horns now and they actually don't sound bad and they were putting out some sound. But for World Class, you need bodies which they don't have. The snares didn't even have scoops on. I think the show needs some more "wow moments" and there needs to be more commitment to "Shinto". Also the corps seemed....tired tonight? Some unexpected dirtiness in the feet and brass. I did watch their drums in the lot and had the chance to chat with their new battery guy who was really nice. On that note; they have Vanguards drums from last year and they look GREAT with the green uniforms. Overall- I hope they can pick up some more members along the road and add to their brass and guard. Also, I hope they can sell the Shinto theme on a higher level as well and make it a little more understandable for the audience.

Blue Knights

This show was different for BK. It was basically an abstract approach to Firebird. I thought I wasn't going to like it but it was actually pretty cool. The corps was EXHAUSTED you could tell. Some of the members said they've been receiving some old school cadets treatment lately and have just been getting beaten to death during rehearsal with short nights of sleep afterwards and it was showing. My biggest complaint about the show was the synthesizers. The whole first minute, the corps sets down their instruments and dances and 1-2 people in the pit play electronics while everyone else stands there.....didn't like that. Throughout the show there is just an abundance of synth that's a little too WGI for my liking. But the closer was nice when they busted out a more traditional rendition of firebird. LOVE the finish on the drums and the green in the guard- very cool. Interesting battery size; 8 (9?) snares, 5 quads 4 basses. Overall- it's a different show for BK. A little abstract, kinda cool. I do love the body movement from the corps. I hope they can transfer some of the synth stuff to live instruments and I hope the members can get a little rest here in the future so they can perform at their highest level at night.

Okay- 4 am here, I'm exhausted. Thanks for reading, sorry if I said anything offensive. :smile:

Jeff

• Like 1

Oregon Crusaders

LOVE O.C. once again this year! They are really taking it to a whole new level! They look huge with their 130 on the field. Guard uniforms were very clever. I liked the layering in of colors. Overall the show design for this year is fantastic. I think this show can and will win open class and I really hope they do. It is a really cool and well thought out program with a lot of layers. ...

Jeff,

Thanks so much for the thoughtful review of the show and the kind words about OC. The corps is so excited they can hardly contain themselves. And I hope you were able to enjoy the closer, even though it didn't have choreography... the Appalachian Spring/Ode to Joy/Firebird mashup should excite the senses, even if only auditory :). Our schools get out so late it was tough to get it all on the field by June 25, but suffice it to say that on July 15th, when the corps has its send-off gala to head to San Antonio, it will ALL be dialed in. I can personally hardly contain myself in anticipation!

Thanks again,

Phil

Sure thing Phil! And yes, I still enjoyed the closer even without drill- AWESOME arrangements this year! Best of luck to you all with the rest of the season; I'd sure love to see you guys bring home a gold medal this year!

• Like 1