Favorite 2012 show?

Show concept- BD,SCV

Music-Carolina,PR,SCV,BD

Visual-BD,Carolina, Madison (Great Gate)

Percussion-BD, SCV, Bloo

Guard-PR, Carolina

Overall BD for me has to gone to a new level design wise. I used to hate these artistic shows they started doing a few years ago, but if you actually are inquisitive about the meaning behind the show, even if you can't fully grasp it, it is much different from what anyone else is doing. If anyone is having trouble understanding this year's show, I would recommend listening to the Marching Round Table podcast with David Gibbs.

Here's their website if anyone is interested: http://www.marchingroundtable.com/podcast-archives/

• Like 2

Carolina Crown: sheer amazement, glorious brass, proficient, regal

Blue Devils: performance performance performance

Spirit: clear concept, pulls you right in and keeps you there, chock full of variety and GE

SCV: getting the groove back and some delightful music (please rethink the end)

Crossmen: laid back with a sense of calm and control

• Like 1

Show concept- BD,SCV

Music-Carolina,PR,SCV,BD

Visual-BD,Carolina, Madison (Great Gate)

Percussion-BD, SCV, Bloo

Guard-PR, Carolina

Overall BD for me has to gone to a new level design wise. I used to hate these artistic shows they started doing a few years ago, but if you actually are inquisitive about the meaning behind the show, even if you can't fully grasp it, it is much different from what anyone else is doing. If anyone is having trouble understanding this year's show, I would recommend listening to the Marching Round Table podcast with David Gibbs.

Here's their website if anyone is interested: http://www.marchingroundtable.com/podcast-archives/

I get it but am I the only one who thinks you shouldn't need to listen to any explanation to "Get" a drumcorps show? :shutup:

• Like 9

I get it but am I the only one who thinks you shouldn't need to listen to any explanation to "Get" a drumcorps show? :shutup:

I see your point but shouldn't we be happy that our art has risen to the point of complexity that some background information is necessary to fully experience the show? Take, for example, an audience listening to one of Mahler's symphonies. If taken at purely topical value, it is beautiful writing, but for me anyway, the true message is not as clear. After reading some well-researched information about the piece, I feel that I can really hear it for the first time once I understand the composer's mood and intentions in his musical story-telling.

Thus, maybe if BD provided some background information on the show's theme before the performance somehow, audiences could grasp the designer's intent easily.

• Like 6

I know I am going to love Boston Crusaders. I've loved them since 1975 and they've never let me down. I expect to love Phantom, another favorite since I love the opera "Turandot" and have long wanted to see a drum corps show based on it. I saw Cadets last Saturday and loved them. I expect Crown to impress me. All Madison has to do is wake up in the morning and board the bus and I'm already cheering.

I also have to give a shout out to Colts--"All By Myself" could be one of this year's best closers, especially for those of us who love "screamers" and walls of sound. Jersey Surf has a show you can help but love.

• Like 2

SPIRIT OF ATLANTA they win most improved again for the second year in a row. Love the show. If Cesario really did charge all the corps with being sophisticated and entertaining, Spirit was listening.

With as much energy as they pump out now, when it gets cleaned up and the really get confident, it will be a show that no one should miss.

I also really like Crown and Cadets. The end of Scouts, not the whole thing, and Phantom Regiment.

• Like 1

I see your point but shouldn't we be happy that our art has risen to the point of complexity that some background information is necessary to fully experience the show? Take, for example, an audience listening to one of Mahler's symphonies. If taken at purely topical value, it is beautiful writing, but for me anyway, the true message is not as clear. After reading some well-researched information about the piece, I feel that I can really hear it for the first time once I understand the composer's mood and intentions in his musical story-telling.

Thus, maybe if BD provided some background information on the show's theme before the performance somehow, audiences could grasp the designer's intent easily.

I actually basically liked what I saw on the FN from BD. What I would like is for them to turn off the non stop French dude talking about the "DaDa" over and over.

• Like 4

I see your point but shouldn't we be happy that our art has risen to the point of complexity that some background information is necessary to fully experience the show?

I like bringing new people to a DCI show and having them go "Wow!" instead of "Huh?"

• Like 5