Switching from G to Bb/F instruments, what year?

jon112780

I hear that stuff when band teachers talk about any marching brass. "Oh those marching Baritones are so hard to play in tune."

Well, if the ensemble doesn't take the time to practice playing in tune then it won't happen.

At Sky Ryders, we took lots of time to play and listen, listen and play. The instructors were constantly saying "don't tighten you throat up, play nice open round tones". Go back and take a listen, our G bugle line sounded musical. Go back and Listen to Freelancers, Blue Devils, Garfield Cadets, Cavaliers, Madison, Star of Indiana, Troopers, Crossmen....... Lots of good sound coming from G Bugle Lines. Yes, Crown's hornline has been out of this world for a while now and it probably the best I have ever heard. I'm pretty sure they would have an outstanding sound if they picked up G bugles as well.

The better Quality Bugles were Old, and King as far as I have found. The low end was Dynasty, but many corps used Dynasty and had good results. There were other brands, I just don't have any experience with them.

I'm currently playing a Dynasty 3 Valve G Baritone and I don't hate it.

Well... As a Freelancer from 79 to 83 and then again from 2008 to present... Thanks for the plug !!! We have always spent a great deal of time learning how to produce a quality sound.

As far as intonation goes... All brass instruments are inherently out of tune one you progress away from it's "tuning note". Anytime you press a valve, play soft, play loud, play high or low. Anytime your applying accents or articulations, tuning adjustments by the player MUST be made. Some very high-end horns help in this intonation struggle, but it's still up to the player to play in tune ! By the way; If you want to play LOUD, play in tune !!! You'll be much louder still !!!

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

Old topic, but I wanted to correct some assumptions that are untrue.

Promise you this:  A King G-Bugle would play as in-tune as the player's ability could support.

Listen to Star of Indiana's '93 show for an example of G bugles being played beautifully on challenging material.

The aspect of G versus Bb instruments that is not often discussed is the most important.  The TESSITURA of the music didn't change for the differently pitched hornlines.  The OVERTONES of this same tessitura did, however.  For the same basic musical line, a G-bugle was usually playing on the next higher overtone.  That had much more substantial implications for the ensemble sound than just the pitch of the horn.

The reason that G-bugles gave that exciting, ensemble blend was the differing fundamental CORE of a given pitch, played at that higher overtone.  And I think that is why some casual listeners, particularly those who are young enough to have never heard a top-tier hornline on G-bugles, perceive this as sounding out-of-tune.

The best I can describe it is that at the same given pitch (give or take a half step for bugle-friendly key signatures), a Bb trumpet will sound more "sizzly," because its sound actually contains MORE upper partials at any given pitch.  The G bugle will have FEWER upper partials at the same pitch, because the pitch itself is being sounded one partial "up" from the trumpet.

You can even simulate it with a Bb trumpet, simply by taping the third valve down.  While the bore shape will still be more cylindrical, if you play a g-bugle part on that trumpet, you will definitely hear a difference in the overtone series for any given line.

THAT is the primary difference.  And it's huge.

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2012 at 9:25 PM, Trumpcyms1993 said:

who was the last corp to make finals with G bugles? and i know that Star of Indiana was the last corp to make finals with 2 valve bugles.

another interesting question. how many world class use large bore horns? You think most corps would considering Bugles were all large bore im pretty sure. I know most yamaha corps march .459 trumpets and compared to .468 bugles thats a big difference.

Depends on if you wanna talk DCI or include DCA in that. Last corps to win with G horns was Cincinnati Tradition in 2016. I believe Erie Thunderbirds still use G as well.

On 7/9/2018 at 1:14 AM, McLovin said:

Depends on if you wanna talk DCI or include DCA in that. Last corps to win with G horns was Cincinnati Tradition in 2016. I believe Erie Thunderbirds still use G as well.

Correct - we are still playing our G bugles.

Columbus Saints and Southern Knights are also on G's as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trivial factoid:

When the Blue Devils first played "Bird and Bela in Bb" in 1991, it was on G bugles. To perform it authentically in Bb concert, they would have had to play it in "bugle Eb". They didn't.

It probably should have been titled "Bird and Bela in Bb, Sort Of".

One assumes the other Bloo corps in 2018 is actually performing the piece in the stated key. Comparing both, I think one would find very little to quibble about with respect to intonation in either case.