50 Years Ago Tonight

"Half Century Ago":

Sounds terrible eh? Foe a witch it's only a "Splinter in a mind's eye". Anyway: I remember an "Event" from that time at Bridgeport CT's "Barnum Festival"'s "Parade of Champions" (The last one prior to DCA BTW).

Going into the show the Hawthorne Caballeros were undefeated,not having lost a contest throughout the entire 1962 season. The hard charging New York Skyliners were right on their heels this season, and were primed for an upset.

Which is exactly what happened. The Cab's were their usual excellent selves that summers night but the Skyliners had that "Somethhing Extra" that put them over the top and handed the Hawthorne crew their first loss since early 1961.

It was a Skyliner performance "For the ages", and very well remembered by me, even after a half century's passage of time.

Give the Caballeros their due however, as they roared back from this loss (By four tenths of a point) to win the Baltimore "March of Champions" a week later, as well as that years Legion and Dream contest titles.

Great memories.....

Elphaba

• 2 weeks later...

Interesing to note on those recaps......the number of CYO related corps. It used to be important to support youth programs BITD. By the late 60's, early 70's, the CYO programs nationwide had disappeared (with a few exceptions).

That's a sad statement for me.....