Kalamazoo hullabaloo

just checked out the recaps, surprised that no one noticed there was no Percussion judge.The percussion score was actually the same score as musical analysis. Not to take anything away from Spirits performance tonight, but they were the definite benefactors of not having the percussion judge.

on 7/6 with a percussion judge:

Coats 15.2

Cavies 14.8

madison 14.7

spirit 13.4

on 7/7 NO percussion judge sub music score:

Coats 16.0

madison 15.3

spirit 15.1

cavies 15.0

if you look at the score increase in one night (with no judge):

spirit +1.7

coats +.8

madison +.6

cavies +.2

Again, not trying to take away from spirit, but the scores are a little tainted. Odds are if there was a percussion judge tonight, Cavies would have still placed higher then spirit.

please dont shoot the messenger

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

just checked out the recaps, surprised that no one noticed there was no Percussion judge.The percussion score was actually the same score as musical analysis. Not to take anything away from Spirits performance tonight, but they were the definite benefactors of not having the percussion judge.

on 7/6 with a percussion judge:

Coats 15.2

Cavies 14.8

madison 14.7

spirit 13.4

on 7/7 NO percussion judge sub music score:

Coats 16.0

madison 15.3

spirit 15.1

cavies 15.0

if you look at the score increase in one night (with no judge):

spirit +1.7

coats +.8

madison +.6

cavies +.2

Again, not trying to take away from spirit, but the scores are a little tainted. Odds are if there was a percussion judge tonight, Cavies would have still placed higher then spirit.

please dont shoot the messenger

You can use these numbers but from watching today Spirit was better in every single thing. There were no big moments for the crowd. It was just flat. After the show on the car ride home out of 5 people all different backgrounds (1 brass, 1 brass/percussion,1 percussion, 1 percussion/guard, and 1 guard) Cavies was said to be the least favorite. I didnt make sense. I know they arent done with the show but in a hit or miss its a miss.

• Like 3

You can use these numbers but from watching today Spirit was better in every single thing. There were no big moments for the crowd. It was just flat. After the show on the car ride home out of 5 people all different backgrounds (1 brass, 1 brass/percussion,1 percussion, 1 percussion/guard, and 1 guard) Cavies was said to be the least favorite. I didnt make sense. I know they arent done with the show but in a hit or miss its a miss.

I have to totally agree here. But I think they're moving in the right direction. But that concept for the show man ....... needs WORK!

And six days later at Finals, Cavaliers had 95.700 (3rd place) to Spirit's 94.100 (6th place). So there's plenty of time for Cavaliers to come back this year.

Ummm .. Spirit was flat flat flat (not in tuning) on finals night. They dropped a spot to Suncoast Sound that night. You can't compare these two animals. Cav's are about the same corps as they were back then under Adolph. Spirit is NOTHING like the same corps. Not as laid back .. not as "Southern" in style ... Not as risky with the music interpretation. Spirit is just way more exciting than Cav's at this point and the show concept is not even in the same universe in comparison. Spirit OWNS that situation.

Crowd reaction tonight....

Spirit: WOW ... OOOOOoooooo .. YEAH! .... SMOKIN .... OH THAT'S COOL!

Cavies: Why? huh? what does this have to do with 15 minutes of fame? EEK that was crunchy dirty.

So what does that mean?

Spirit has an exciting show that needs more complexity in short order

Cavies are working out the bugs and revamping the show but still have a big issue conveying the concept in a rational, logical and entertaining way. They'll figure it out .. that's why they are still close. In fact, they have more potential to move up and past SOA again IF (and only IF) they make the right changes and very very soon.

• Like 1

Scores are already up on DCI site:

World Class

1 Bluecoats 78.650

2 Madison Scouts 75.150

3 Spirit of Atlanta 74.150

4 The Cavaliers 73.550

5 Blue Stars 71.400

6 Glassmen 69.500

7 Pioneer 56.800

Open Class

1 Legends 64.550

Read more: http://www.dci.org/scores/index.cfm?event=96d1b689-8898-4038-b0e5-b8f8c7eac8b9#ixzz1zzy9TMeM

Reading this makes me feel like I'm in a time warp or something. It's so uncommon but I like it!

There is no "just fine" in mid July.

There seems to be a lot of post concerning Spirit beating Cavs but the real surprise to me was how Spirit closed the gap with Scouts. Spirit's show is very well designed and getting clean fast. Madison doesn't seem to be getting much cleaner especially the guard. Add to that the music arrangements seem very busy and cluttered. Robert Smith is an incredible arranger but I think he dropped the ball this year.

• Like 2

I enjoy Spirit. And I am ecstatic to see them back strong. However, there are some awesome enhancements coming with the Scouts' show and once those changes get put in, I really feel we'll start to see them pull away from Spirit. Sorry, but as a former performer and drum corps staff member, I truly believe that Spirit's show does not have the technical content, even with the Scouts being a little cluttered at times, to catch the Scouts.

I enjoy Spirit. And I am ecstatic to see them back strong. However, there are some awesome enhancements coming with the Scouts' show and once those changes get put in, I really feel we'll start to see them pull away from Spirit. Sorry, but as a former performer and drum corps staff member, I truly believe that Spirit's show does not have the technical content, even with the Scouts being a little cluttered at times, to catch the Scouts.

"Madison Scouts drum major Sean Hadley said his corps’ 2012 production has been coming right along, with a couple more additions and changes in store for the near future.

"We have a few over the last week that we've been implementing," he said. "And there are a few more on the way that we’ll put in leading up to the Minneapolis regional next Saturday. We're looking to really burst out of the gate there and show the drum corps activity that Madison is back in a big way."

Drum major Denzel Brown said the Scouts have been pushing through the heat, with members giving it their all at rehearsals, getting better, performance after performance.

lucky for those that get to see Minnesota

• Like 1

It's looking like the 6th and 7th spots will be a battle down the stretch with two old foes Scouts and SCV. I think Bluecoats will hold the 5th spot. I think it will be a slight gap in score between the 8th and 7th spots.

• Like 1