ACTION JACKSON

I think Hop WANTS it announced "12 dot 25".

The Cadets: Home town crowd goes nuts. You know how there is always one pit or guard that you can watch the whole show? This corps has Hop. He walked back and forth playing drum parts on his leg, finger ing mello parts with his left hand, and remote controlling guard work with his fists. Slight exaggeration, slight. The announcer was great and I think he had a YEA shirt on. Hop cued him...and he announced "....12 dot 25....." instead of 12.25. I've learned from following GH is that there is always something to fix, he didn't flinch but I'm sure a mental note was made. Sorry for the sidetrack. I like this show, it is played well in typical Cadet fashion. Horn line sounds great and the drum line was over Crown. One gripe is that the package props look kinda cheesy and home made. The will probably make it to the field for finals but they they need a nicer facade. I'm a fan of The Cadets, always have been. The kids performed great and the home town crowd ate it up. Same gripe as Crown, if you are going to do high velocity drill, you have to fix the feet phasing and body carriage. They know this. Best ovation of the night.

You know, I still don't understand why people get distracted by this, let alone complain about it. He's been doing that for years, and besides, he wasn't the only person walking around during the show. I guess people are distracted by all those people with green shirts running around on the field as well.

• Like 2

Got home VERY early this morning, so here are some better late than never thoughts.

After spending the morning on the Jersey Shore, we made our way, with 8 kids-(2 first timers), to Cadets practice in Jackson. IT WAS HOT. Almost unbearable to just sit in the stands and watch, much less to be on the field working. Cadets work hard. That is what they always do, and today was no exception. Shout out to whoever turned on the "shower" at the fire hydrant near the entrance to the field. That was awesome! Jackson provided a great practice site, as during sectionals, they had 4 different fields going including Cadets 2. Got to preview some of the A&E changes...more on that later. Rehearsal chunks seemed to have ALOT more attention and time spent with A&E stuff. Also was reminded of how much Hop is included in the on field design and instruction staff activities. Much more so than most.

My daughter got some gatorade to a couple of her friends after practice, while some of the group hit the McDonalds down the street. We were just packing up the tailgate when the clouds rolled in. Severe weather was an understatement. Seemed like we were right in the middle of a tornado! Would not have been surprised to see a timpani or marimba fly by, "cow!", as we waited in the cars. There were more lightning strikes right around us in 20 minutes than I think I have ever seen. Felt so helpless as we watched the wind destroy the Bridgemen backdrop props that were left on the track as everyone ran for cover. Excellent job by the food truck, pit crews, and souvie stand folks of getting things battened down in such a short time.

After hearing the show start was backed up another hour, we decided to hit the lot to watch Surf warm up. My impression was "not good". The brass arc missing horns up and attacks and releases, during a simple slur warm up excercise, to me, is not acceptable. Battery was better, but still seemed to have some issues with basic details.

Made our way into the stadium as Bridgemen were finishing up and Raiders were coming on. Got cornered by Bill Ives near the Surf souvie stand, and everybody had no choice but to fork over a dollar each for thunder sticks. He could sell a snowball to an eskimo! What a great job he and his wife Terri do for the corps. They are so lucky to have them!

Saw most of Raiders from the track. Brass struggled to handle the responsibilities of the music and visual demand. Seemed a little much for them as of right now.

Made our way to our seats as the Thunder sticks were in full force as Surf took the field. Not surprised to hear a low brass early entrance on the opening hit. Right from the start of the show, the low end synth goo was so over powering that you wanted to cover your ears. I thought it was allowable to radio the sound board guy to adjust mix when things are out of balance? What could the staff in the stands been hearing that they never turned it down? It was annoying enough throughout that it totally ruined my enjoyment of the show. I think most of todays younger fans have the impression that Bridgemen were always just having fun on the field "back in the day". Many don't realize that they focused on execution as much, if not more than, performance. That said, Surf seems to have jumped over the execution portion somewhat. Yes the show is fun and accessable. While the thunder sticks are a very cool crowd participation toy, the crowd is having timing issues wapping them that also affects the timing issues on the field. The corps has alot of work to do if they expect to be able to perform up to the level that truly would be a tribute to Bridgemen of old. Working on those things is probably not all that much fun I guess.

The vote was to skip Teal and head back to the lot. As we got all the way around the school to find Crown and Cadets, I knew that we might end up missing Xmen. Although we have many great memories of years of on field moments, some of the coolest things we have ever seen are experienced in the lot. The vibe and atmosphere is something all fans should try and see. Our group split up, some going to watch Cadets, but I decided to sit front and center of Crowns brass line as they finished their warm up. All I can say is HOLY CRAP! This may be the best horn line that I have EVER HEARD in my 40+ plus years of drum corps. The wall of sound is so well balanced, perfectly in tune, and UNBELIEVABLY loud. When they finished, playing a portion of the closer, I was blown away. We hurried back to the stadium, but only in time to see Bones leaving the field. To the corps staff people who had decided to sit in one row of our seats...if you decide to try sitting where you don't belong, that is ok with me. When someone shows up with tix for those seats, that is when you need to excuse yourself and LEAVE. Not slide down and hope that "everybody might fit". Really?

Colts were up next. Excellent job of balance and sound, including the A&E. Some very nice visual and musical moments in this show. The DM trumpet wailing from the track in the closer is very cool, and was extremely well done. Thanks to the Colts staff that watched next to us for not being a distraction. Nice job Colts!

Out came the cream team. Seeing this production live is SO MUCH MORE than what you can take from the movies or FN screen. The colors, uniform change, and flow of the show WORK. I know it's kinda early, but I am willing to say that this show has GOLD written all over it. The field was wet, and a light sprinkle started as they were on. A dangerous mix for the visual demand the performers are faced with. We counted 5-6 slips and falls, but thankfully there were quick reactions and no apparant injuries. The guard has some great moments, and they performed very well. The brass is just amazing. The use of the percussion back field and in the end zones is really cool, and they seem to have handled the timing demand issues faced earlier. The drum line seems to be cleaning up rather well. Noticed that the announcer made no effort, and did not appear to have any "prompting", so the "proud to present" was done before they started rather than during the pre show as I have seen. Seemed like the pit was having alot of trouble getting set up, so maybe that extra time was part of it? If there is a "lull" in the middle of this show, as some have suggested, I did not get that. After they were finished, I truly felt that they will win it all. They have the vehicle, so it will probably depend on their ability to handle the visual demands this monster presents. I might of had them a little farther ahead of Cadets?

The pit traffic jam on the track was evident as Cadets set up. Wasn't really sure that they would be able to perform at all as lightning moved it's way along the sky backfield, causing some angst in the crowd, especially after the pre show storm. Hop stood right next to the announcer signaling him to stop and start his announcement around the added electronic mistle toe kiss start. They have also added mic'd reverb echo to the opening trumpet duets, not really my cup of tea. The effect almost sounds like a bad sound board mix. Trumpets in general seemed to struggle a litle tonight muically. An un-characteristic gack in the mello solo of DYHWIH. I really wish that the corps staff, (read director), was not allowed to pace the front sideline clapping and directing as the kids perform. I know it's not something new, but it tends to draw your attention from the performers. Noticed that the big wood "present boxes" seem to be looking a little ragged, some chips and holes. I'm sure they present a big challenge logistically getting them around to practices etc., and that they will require some mid season repainting and restoration. The corps has come a long way from my first viewing in CT a month ago, especially the battery. If anybody can make this show a medal contender it is The Cadets, but just got the impression that they will never catch Crown.

Cadets2 had the tough draw of following two great shows, but did a commendable job. Nice to hear drum corps music with no A&E backround goo. The opening "Tame" hit is nice, but I was left longing for a better mellophone presence. It will be interesting to see how they fare in DCA competiton. I think they have the chance to be a presence on that circuit.

All in all, a very nice time was had be everyone!

Edited by truman
  • Like 3

Got home VERY early this morning, so here are some better late than never thoughts.

After spending the morning on the Jersey Shore, we made our way, with 8 kids-(2 first timers), to Cadets practice in Jackson. IT WAS HOT. Almost unbearable to just sit in the stands and watch, much less to be on the field working. Cadets work hard. That is what they always do, and today was no exception. Shout out to whoever turned on the "shower" at the fire hydrant near the entrance to the field. That was awesome! Jackson provided a great practice site, as during sectionals, they had 4 different fields going including Cadets 2. Got to preview some of the A&E changes...more on that later. Rehearsal chunks seemed to have ALOT more attention and time spent with A&E stuff. Also was reminded of how much Hop is included in the on field design and instruction staff activities. Much more so than most.

My daughter got some gatorade to a couple of her friends after practice, while some of the group hit the McDonalds down the street. We were just packing up the tailgate when the clouds rolled in. Severe weather was an understatement. Seemed like we were right in the middle of a tornado! Would not have been surprised to see a timpani or marimba fly by, "cow!", as we waited in the cars. There were more lightning strikes right around us in 20 minutes than I think I have ever seen. Felt so helpless as we watched the wind destroy the Bridgemen backdrop props that were left on the track as everyone ran for cover. Excellent job by the food truck, pit crews, and souvie stand folks of getting things battened down in such a short time.

After hearing the show start was backed up another hour, we decided to hit the lot to watch Surf warm up. My impression was "not good". The brass arc missing horns up and attacks and releases, during a simple slur warm up excercise, to me, is not acceptable. Battery was better, but still seemed to have some issues with basic details.

Made our way into the stadium as Bridgemen were finishing up and Raiders were coming on. Got cornered by Bill Ives near the Surf souvie stand, and everybody had no choice but to fork over a dollar each for thunder sticks. He could sell a snowball to an eskimo! What a great job he and his wife Terri do for the corps. They are so lucky to have them!

Saw most of Raiders from the track. Brass struggled to handle the responsibilities of the music and visual demand. Seemed a little much for them as of right now.

Made our way to our seats as the Thunder sticks were in full force as Surf took the field. Not surprised to hear a low brass early entrance on the opening hit. Right from the start of the show, the low end synth goo was so over powering that you wanted to cover your ears. I thought it was allowable to radio the sound board guy to adjust mix when things are out of balance? What could the staff in the stands been hearing that they never turned it down? It was annoying enough throughout that it totally ruined my enjoyment of the show. I think most of todays younger fans have the impression that Bridgemen were always just having fun on the field "back in the day". Many don't realize that they focused on execution as much, if not more than, performance. That said, Surf seems to have jumped over the execution portion somewhat. Yes the show is fun and accessable. While the thunder sticks are a very cool crowd participation toy, the crowd is having timing issues wapping them that also affects the timing issues on the field. The corps has alot of work to do if they expect to be able to perform up to the level that truly would be a tribute to Bridgemen of old. Working on those things is probably not all that much fun I guess.

The vote was to skip Teal and head back to the lot. As we got all the way around the school to find Crown and Cadets, I knew that we might end up missing Xmen. Although we have many great memories of years of on field moments, some of the coolest things we have ever seen are experienced in the lot. The vibe and atmosphere is something all fans should try and see. Our group split up, some going to watch Cadets, but I decided to sit front and center of Crowns brass line as they finished their warm up. All I can say is HOLY CRAP! This may be the best horn line that I have EVER HEARD in my 40+ plus years of drum corps. The wall of sound is so well balanced, perfectly in tune, and UNBELIEVABLY loud. When they finished, playing a portion of the closer, I was blown away. We hurried back to the stadium, but only in time to see Bones leaving the field. To the corps staff people who had decided to sit in one row of our seats...if you decide to try sitting where you don't belong, that is ok with me. When someone shows up with tix for those seats, that is when you need to excuse yourself and LEAVE. Not slide down and hope that "everybody might fit". Really?

Colts were up next. Excellent job of balance and sound, including the A&E. Some very nice visual and musical moments in this show. The DM trumpet wailing from the track in the closer is very cool, and was extremely well done. Thanks to the Colts staff that watched next to us for not being a distraction. Nice job Colts!

Out came the cream team. Seeing this production live is SO MUCH MORE than what you can take from the movies or FN screen. The colors, uniform change, and flow of the show WORK. I know it's kinda early, but I am willing to say that this show has GOLD written all over it. The field was wet, and a light sprinkle started as they were on. A dangerous mix for the visual demand the performers are faced with. We counted 5-6 slips and falls, but thankfully there were quick reactions and no apparant injuries. The guard has some great moments, and they performed very well. The brass is just amazing. The use of the percussion back field and in the end zones is really cool, and they seem to have handled the timing demand issues faced earlier. The drum line seems to be cleaning up rather well. Noticed that the announcer made no effort, and did not appear to have any "prompting", so the "proud to present" was done before they started rather than during the pre show as I have seen. Seemed like the pit was having alot of trouble getting set up, so maybe that extra time was part of it? If there is a "lull" in the middle of this show, as some have suggested, I did not get that. After they were finished, I truly felt that they will win it all. They have the vehicle, so it will probably depend on their ability to handle the visual demands this monster presents. I might of had them a little farther ahead of Cadets?

The pit traffic jam on the track was evident as Cadets set up. Wasn't really sure that they would be able to perform at all as lightning moved it's way along the sky backfield, causing some angst in the crowd, especially after the pre show storm. Hop stood right next to the announcer signaling him to stop and start his announcement around the added electronic mistle toe kiss start. They have also added mic'd reverb echo to the opening trumpet duets, not really my cup of tea. The effect almost sounds like a bad sound board mix. Trumpets in general seemed to struggle a litle tonight muically. An un-characteristic gack in the mello solo of DYHWIH. I really wish that the corps staff, (read director), was not allowed to pace the front sideline clapping and directing as the kids perform. I know it's not something new, but it tends to draw your attention from the performers. Noticed that the big wood "present boxes" seem to be looking a little ragged, some chips and holes. I'm sure they present a big challenge logistically getting them around to practices etc., and that they will require some mid season repainting and restoration. The corps has come a long way from my first viewing in CT a month ago, especially the battery. If anybody can make this show a medal contender it is The Cadets, but just got the impression that they will never catch Crown.

Cadets2 had the tough draw of following two great shows, but did a commendable job. Nice to hear drum corps music with no A&E backround goo. The opening "Tame" hit is nice, but I was left longing for a better mellophone presence. It will be interesting to see how they fare in DCA competiton. I think they have the chance to be a presence on that circuit.

All in all, a very nice time was had be everyone!

Thanks for the review, truman!

• Like 1

You know, I still don't understand why people get distracted by this, let alone complain about it. He's been doing that for years, and besides, he wasn't the only person walking around during the show. I guess people are distracted by all those people with green shirts running around on the field as well.

Not years, decades. He's been doing that longer than any of the current marching members have been alive.

I agree though, to me it's a non-issue.

+1

people behind me yesterday kept talking about them at Kzoo as if they watched them more then the shows tongue.gif

good review truman!

To the corps staff people who had decided to sit in one row of our seats...if you decide to try sitting where you don't belong, that is ok with me. When someone shows up with tix for those seats, that is when you need to excuse yourself and LEAVE. Not slide down and hope that "everybody might fit". Really?

shocker... i'm sure someone will come here to say that corps staffs would never do such a thing :rolleyes:

Whatever the reason, the captions were more competitive between Cadets and Crown compared to the previous night, but basically the same result -- Crown takes everything but drums. That drum gap plus Cadets being competitive in ensemble actually led to Crown and Cadets tying in Total Music. Cadets still half a point or more behind Crown in Total Visual and Total GE.

Cadets need to tweak the visual. They seem to be down to Crown by 0.5 in GE Vis. I think the other stuff is just performance improvement that they will be fine in. Ultimately, corps win or lose by Total GE so im sure Jeff is rewriting what needs to be fixed.

I did not see anyone mention the sound coming through the stadium PA system during the Crossmen performance. We heard what sounded like a open wireless mic on one of the Crossmen mellows. It was not coming though the Crossmen sound system (or was balanced in the mix). But it was clearly coming through the speaker up the pole near the Souvie area. I noticed it during the last 2/3rds of the show but it may have been on the whole show.

If it was on for a solo, I missed the solo. Maybe they took it out of their sound mix but left the mic on. Then the PA system picked up the frequency.

Edited by Buick Dad

I did not see anyone mention the sound coming through the stadium PA system during the Crossmen performance. We heard what sounded like a open wireless mic on one of the Crossmen mellows. If was not coming though the Crossmen sound system (or was balanced in the mix). But it was clearly coming through the speaker up the pole near the Souvie area. I noticed it during the last 2/3rds of the show but it may have been on the whole show.

If it was on for a solo, I missed the solo. Maybe they took it out of their sound mix but left the mic on. Then the PA system picked up the frequency.

Yeah I was there and we were talking about it throughout the entire show. It sounded like a Baritone-Kazoo hybrid. It was very annoying. I'm sure they'll fix that though.