Blue Devils Calendar

When the recent discussion about the BD only competing around 20 times this year, I started checking out their calendar. I did not take the time to check the number of shows they've entered in recent years. Maybe they're one of a few corps who can blow off some apperance money, but at the same time, with the talent they usually have on and off the field, there may be something to say about more time off. The amount of energy lost and lack of quality sleep must have some effect on many of the corps members at various times during the season. Also, having good outdoors weather year round might allow them to get the majority of their drill done during monthly camps.

The NFL has been a copycat league for years (westcoast offense, nickle/dime packages, etc.), so I wonder if others might cut back some in future years similar to the BD.

When the recent discussion about the BD only competing around 20 times this year, I started checking out their calendar. I did not take the time to check the number of shows they've entered in recent years. Maybe they're one of a few corps who can blow off some apperance money, but at the same time, with the talent they usually have on and off the field, there may be something to say about more time off. The amount of energy lost and lack of quality sleep must have some effect on many of the corps members at various times during the season. Also, having good outdoors weather year round might allow them to get the majority of their drill done during monthly camps.

The NFL has been a copycat league for years (westcoast offense, nickle/dime packages, etc.), so I wonder if others might cut back some in future years similar to the BD.

Devils have had a far less demanding rehearsal schedule going back 40 years. They are the masters of making efficient use of time, and quality over quantity.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 5

On their first west coast swing Boston has done 10 shows thus far to BD's 6. (if my math is correct)

BD knows from experience the cost on the corps of making that trek to the Mid West tour.

I wonder what lessons Boston will learn both in overall endurance and limited corps rehearsal days.

This is certainly something new for them.

And, they had 2 shows cancel. 1) for lights... A terrible reason, the other, 2) Rain...

The question is will it hurt them?

On their first west coast swing Boston has done 10 shows thus far to BD's 6. (if my math is correct)

BD knows from experience the cost on the corps of making that trek to the Mid West tour.

I wonder what lessons Boston will learn both in overall endurance and limited corps rehearsal days.

This is certainly something new for them.

It is new for the Crusaders to be out West, but they started their pre-season training around May 25th in CA with the first show June 22nd in CA and have had as many rehearsals as the other corps. Being out West has been a positive time for the corps.

Devils have had a far less demanding rehearsal schedule going back 40 years. They are the masters of making efficient use of time, and quality over quantity.

Thus the phrase "Work smarter not harder" applies to this. I'm not saying that don't work hard, in fact they do, but they make every rep a performance rep. That's not to say that the opposite coast doesn't do this (Cadets/Crown), but they're more notorious for drilling lots of reps into you. Both methods work, and both methods have won championships.

• Like 1