Blue Devils Calendar

I think they return from their European cruise Friday and after corps manis and pedis, will head over to the show saturday.

• Like 2

I think that a lot of the camp and clinic stuff they do takes some time away, but at the same time...that is a super valuable resource, and as an educator, I LOVE that they do that. Too bad I'm on the east coast so it's not like i could send my students.

But why does it matter anyway? So they do less shows. They still score high right? (that's another topic in itself, I know!) :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1) for lights... A terrible reason,

So....going out and marching a show with no lights from the get go is a good thing? You WANT collisions and injuries?? :thumbdown:

Yes, I know they marched the 2nd half of the 99 show in the VERY early season in the dark due to a sudden blackout...I have the video. But they were in the middle of the show at that point and the corps as a whole elected to continue....with no stop in the action. I don't see a way for the staff or show sponsors to have been able to STOP it, given how loud the crowd was when they kept going.

Running a show from the beginning in the dark is just stupid.

• Like 1

Apparently doing less shows, and rehearsing more is better on the members?

Then why did Academy get so much crap for not doing a 'full tour' the past 10 years?

• Like 1

Apparently doing less shows, and rehearsing more is better on the members?

Then why did Academy get so much crap for not doing a 'full tour' the past 10 years?

Completely different scenarios imo, as one is still doing a full tour and the other was performing sort of a 'mini tour' if you will. Both are financially responsible decisions though as I see it, but people didn't like that The Academy would not make finals and blamed their tour schedule on it.

I'm not saying that don't work hard, in fact they do, but they make every rep a performance rep.

That's what I've mentioned to DC folks and kids I've coached/officiated in various sports for decades. Just about any activity one does can be practiced as if you are actually competing. Every throw to second base or home plate should be to the bag/base. Once a corps member is moving while playing there's probably not much need to concentrate on the DM. You've got the beat, you've played the music for months, now use your eyes to check your spacing and alignment. Muscle memory. Quality, not quantity training, uses less energy and leads to better performances.

I think that a lot of the camp and clinic stuff they do takes some time away, but at the same time...that is a super valuable resource, and as an educator, I LOVE that they do that. Too bad I'm on the east coast so it's not like i could send my students.

But why does it matter anyway? So they do less shows. They still score high right? (that's another topic in itself, I know!) :rolleyes:

I don't care so much about the fewer shows from the scores standpoint. Some of us fans want an opportunity to see them, though. Being on the east coast, the lack of early season shows by Blue Devils doesn't affect me. I'll get to see them for the first time probably at the Meadowlands show.

Check out Corpsreps.com's score list, and it gives you an armchair version of each corps' activity over the years -

http://corpsreps.com/scores.cfm?view=scorecorps&corpsid=17&corpstype=Junior

1990 30 scores

1991 32 scores

1992 30 scores

1993 32 scores

1994 28 scores

1995 24 scores

1996 29 scores

1997 29 scores

1998 25 scores

1999 22 scores

2000 16 scores

2001 30 scores

2002 33 scores

2003 30 scores

2004 35 scores

2005 17 scores

2006 30 scores

2007 30 scores

2008 28 scores

2009 27 scores

2010 29 scores

2011 32 scores

2012 24 scores

(2000 and 2005 were the Euro trip years.)

Mike

Devils have had a far less demanding rehearsal schedule going back 40 years. They are the masters of making efficient use of time, and quality over quantity.

I've heard this before and I don't buy it. I feel that the show is designed below the performing level of the corps. They are so good with so little practice because their show is fairly easy every year.

• Like 7