Blue Devils Calendar

I've heard this before and I don't buy it. I feel that the show is designed below the performing level of the corps. They are so good with so little practice because their show is fairly easy every year.

No, they just make it look easy. What you said here is a very common misconception that's been perpetuated for 40 years. Heck, it's been addressed by Steve Rondinaro on a number of occasions on the broadcasts.

As Wayne Downey has said: "We do the difficult immediately, the impossible takes a little longer."

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 10

No, they just make it look easy. What you said here is a very common misconception that's been perpetuated for 40 years. Heck, it's been addressed by Steve Rondinaro on a number of occasions on the broadcasts.

As Wayne Downey has said: "We do the difficult immediately, the impossible takes a little longer."

However, until someone who came from a truly hard-core environment marches at BD, no one will believe it.

Anyone?? Regiment/Freelancers/etc to BD folk??

The amount of energy lost and lack of quality sleep

Even with more shows lack of sleep was never an issue. We always got 1/2 time on bus plus however much floor time to get to 8 hours, and that was at the very least. (4 hours bus trip = 2 hours + 6 hours floor time to total 8 hours.)

So....going out and marching a show with no lights from the get go is a good thing? You WANT collisions and injuries?? :thumbdown:

Yes, I know they marched the 2nd half of the 99 show in the VERY early season in the dark due to a sudden blackout...I have the video. But they were in the middle of the show at that point and the corps as a whole elected to continue....with no stop in the action. I don't see a way for the staff or show sponsors to have been able to STOP it, given how loud the crowd was when they kept going.

Running a show from the beginning in the dark is just stupid.

Pretty sure that was just family day and not a judged performance. Though there were a couple of times we had to wait on the field for the lights to come back on.

I've heard this before and I don't buy it. I feel that the show is designed below the performing level of the corps. They are so good with so little practice because their show is fairly easy every year.

I must have been super out of shape, because that crap was difficult.

Jay-Z would say, "Difficult takes a day; impossible takes a week". Edited by hboyce
  • Like 1

Are you kidding me? That horn book is ridiculously hard. Have you even heard it? Probably not.

I have four friends in BD this year. I had 3 in the corps last year. They don't say "Man, that show was easy! Crazy how we got 2nd place. Should have won with how easy it was!"

No. They rehearse for a month and a week before even doing the Family Day performance, and between camps (and at them) during the winter. It looks easy because they start out good at it. I watched reheasal on July 6 (before Drums) for most of a day. It's not easy.

• Like 3

From a drummers' perspective, I have many of BD's charts from over the years. (And from a whole bunch of other corps. Hey, it's a hobby...) Their drum writing stands up against anyone's, and many times far above their peers. (There are indeed corps in the top 12 whose drum charts show they're watering far more than you would hope, but, yeah, BD ain't one.)

Mike

Still not buying it. The Blue Devils are talented people. I have a great deal of respect for them. They perform very well. They are a fantastic organization.

but

Their shows aren't that hard. They never push their members to the fair reaches of their ability.

So AShy!

• Like 6

No. They rehearse for a month and a week before even doing the Family Day performance, and between camps (and at them) during the winter. It looks easy because they start out good at it. I watched reheasal on July 6 (before Drums) for most of a day. It's not easy.

Here's another Wayne quote: "Champions are built in January."

The Blue Devils work incredibly hard in the winter. They work incredibly hard during pre-season training. They do this so that they do not have to put in crazy hours during the tour like most other corps. Even when I marched, that was how things were done, and I came from Suncoast where I only thought we worked hard. Holy crap was I wrong. The demands on the individual member, both from the staff and your fellow members, was incredibly high.

Still not buying it. The Blue Devils are talented people. I have a great deal of respect for them. They perform very well. They are a fantastic organization.

but

Their shows aren't that hard. They never push their members to the fair reaches of their ability.

So AShy!

Anonymous troll poster for the loss.

• Like 9