Blue Devils Calendar

The Blue Devils design plan is to allow their members to give an electrifying, emotion driven performance. That is how their general effect is created. Other groups seek to create their general effect by having their members perform something that is so difficult that when it happens it is awe inspiring.

BD design approach seems to really not as be as exposed as others. While this approach can definitely mask some fuzz when things aren't quite there yet, the downside is that it doesn't showcase enough how truly difficult some things they are doing at times.

Some other corps tend to write super difficult stuff that is also super exposed and tends to be super dirty in the early season. While it becomes killer and awe inspiring at the end of the season (provided they ever do actually clean it up), it is sort of not that cool for the paying audience early on.

I don't believe that the Blue Devils rehearse any better than anybody else. We are all doing the same thing and coming at it from different directions. In your experience you can only say that the Blue Devils rehearse better than Suncoast Sound did. Anyone who has ever said that the Blue Devils rehearse better than everyone else has marched the Blue Devils. You have proven this in your previous posts. What I gather the staff tend to say to the members "We rehearse better than everyone else".

One thing I can say is that the way BD rehearses compared to some other corps tends to be a lot more systematic. For example, Wayne keeps years and years of detailed logs of temperature, humidity, elevation, etc. and observations of how those environmental conditions impact horns in terms of intonation and tone quality. This lead to a system of notching tuning valves, where he'd record which notch for each slide for each horn kept things best in tune for specific conditions. This system based on years of data and retained knowledge allowed the ability to compress some of the time it takes to do some things.

There are similar systems in place for just about everything the corps does... compressing a lot of time required for routine activities... freeing up time to be able to focus on unique aspects.

Because they have retained the same staff for so long (most of the staff in place now was there when I was there 20 years ago... what other corps can you say that about???) is why they have clear systems in place and why they rehearse the way they do. Also, the staff isn't trying to figure out how to work together.

It really is about continuity. If other corps were able to retain the same staff for so long, to retain the same knowledge and develop detailed systems, they would probably rehearse in very similar ways.

• Like 7

and the winner with the busiest performing schedule is:

Cadets 34

Cavies 33

Crown 32

BAC 32

Phantom 31

Blue Stars 30

SCV 29

Bluecoats 29

Spirit 28

Blue Knights 28

Madison 27

Troopers 27

and then

Blue Devils 24

That was taken from the DCI.org schedule page.

and the winner with the busiest performing schedule is:

Cadets 34

Cavies 33

Crown 32

BAC 32

Phantom 31

Blue Stars 30

SCV 29

Bluecoats 29

Spirit 28

Blue Knights 28

Madison 27

Troopers 27

and then

Blue Devils 24

That was taken from the DCI.org schedule page.

I am with Naval Special Warfare Group One in Coronado Ca. My 16 man platoon can do the job of 100 well trained infantry men. So whats your point? More is not always better bro.

• Like 3

I am with Naval Special Warfare Group One in Coronado Ca. My 16 man platoon can do the job of 100 well trained infantry men. So whats your point? More is not always better bro.

Just some interesting facts I thought i'd feed the fire with. LOL And your Naval Special Warfare Group point is?

• Like 1

Take a look at their financial statements. It's pretty clear why they are not competing in more shows.

Wasn't there some change in the law surrounding fund-raising & not-for profits in CA a few years ago? IIRC, BD & others were bemoaning the fact that a big chunk of their funding would no longer be available.

Not being negative, just curious

And again, I'm amazed that BD is being called out on their schedule and I still haven't seen the annual, VERY tiring and ridiculous complaints about The Academy, PC or Mandarins. This is hilarious!

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1

That his job is probably cooler than mine, I'd say.

Mike

Thank you. I appreciate that. But my job is no better than anyone else's and i am no better than anyone else. I do what i do cause i love it, i am good at it, and in 2017 i will have the honor of retiring and saying i poured my blood, sweat, and tears into serving this great nation of ours for 20 years. Nothing better imo.

• Like 5

Thank you. I appreciate that. But my job is no better than anyone else's and i am no better than anyone else. I do what i do cause i love it, i am good at it, and in 2017 i will have the honor of retiring and saying i poured my blood, sweat, and tears into serving this great nation of ours for 20 years. Nothing better imo.

And thank you very much for your service!

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 2