Xmen for Real?

So what scores does DCI use for ranking the lineup for the shows then? Dumb question maybe, sorry I am new here.

Last year's finals rankings. Since it's the first regional, there isn't much to go off of, so they usually use the previous year's rankings, and break the corps into their random draw groups. This regional, along with the Texas shows should be averaged together for the rankings for the San Antonio regional, at least that 's how they've been doing it. They use the couple of shows right before the regional, where they split the corps up, and average those scores/placements in for the next regional lineup.

if they perform 17th it's going to be very difficult... I would put them maybe 14th.

But if they get to go on a little later, they could make the top 12. I just think it will be really hard to make the top 12 from the 17th performance time.

So, for this reason it might take them a couple weeks to find themselves in the 10-11 range.

It's a popular theory but there's almost no evidence for it - whenever DCI experiments with performance orders it has basically no effect on placement.

Minneapolis is a major regional, and it's going to have very experienced judges. Every one of them knows where Xmen have been scoring, and who they are likely to be competitive with. The judge's first responsibility is ranking, so they are going to make sure they get Crossmen in the correct order with similar-scoring groups like Spirit, Cavaliers & Madison.

You could probably say the same thing about the Cavaliers being currently 10th, and going on after Carolina Crown being currently placed at 1st. The judges know what they are doing, and will probably leave enough room for all the movement we've seen this year so far.

It's a popular theory but there's almost no evidence for it - whenever DCI experiments with performance orders it has basically no effect on placement.

Minneapolis is a major regional, and it's going to have very experienced judges. Every one of them knows where Xmen have been scoring, and who they are likely to be competitive with. The judge's first responsibility is ranking, so they are going to make sure they get Crossmen in the correct order with similar-scoring groups like Spirit, Cavaliers & Madison.

so you think the Crossmen are already slotted into that grouping? well, I am not as confident, but I hope you are right! haha

so you think the Crossmen are already slotted into that grouping? well, I am not as confident, but I hope you are right! haha

Sure. The judges read the same recaps we do. They know who's been scoring 72-75, just like they know who's been scoring over 80. It's not like they're going to be surprised when Xmen turn out to be much better than unit #18.

• Like 1

Here is an alternative way to gauge the scores / placement of the Crossmen...

Even though they have not faced corps in their score-zone head to head, they have consistently been facing Crown, whom is in first.

Bones has consistently scored 9-10 points below Crown all season. The corps that score 9-10 points below the first place team at finals are consistently ranked 9th or 10th.

If things continue the way they are, I see this becoming a reality.

Go Bones!

So what scores does DCI use for ranking the lineup for the shows then? Dumb question maybe, sorry I am new here.

Not a dumb question, that is a question even old timers don't truly have a handle on.

In general, the lower placing corps go on first and you always save the best for last. The consequences for scoring is that a corps that goes on early must have a lower score so there is room to properly score higher the better corps sections which will appear later.

It is easier for judges to "place" corps when they perform back-to-back. Theoretically the tenth place drum corps could have the first best drum line, but it doesn't work out that way in DCI judging, generally speaking. You will hear others talk about this concept as "slotting" meaning that within a couple of placements, the 10th best corps will have the tenth best drums, horns, etc.

DCI judging is one of the most refined scoring systems I've ever encountered, and they get it right most of the time. Other's opinions on this may differ, :cool:

All scores dropped in Chambersburg. Why?

Scores always drop the show before a regional. It's dumb, but I guess theoretically it gives the regional judges space to fill in the rest of the corps. So if they decide Crossmen are actually in 15th place, they don't have to fit 14 corps in between 75 and 83 -- they can fit them in between 72 and whatever they decide to give the top corps.

• Like 1