1999 Boston Crusaders is DCI DVD Spotlight of the Week

I love that show!

There's a sabre toss at the end of the show that goes into the stratosphere (done by the blonde guard guy)!

/Edited for atrocious grammar.

Yes.. we can still watch it on Fan Network too if we're subscribers.

BAC, once an iconic national high placing Corps in the 60's before the formation of DCI, fell back competitively in the 70's. It took them over 25 years of DCI competing to then make it back into DCI Finals, as they did here with this Corps in 1999. This was a happy moment for the Corps to finally achieve that elusive DCI Top 12 Finals status.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

BAC's first foray into the finals. Long time coming and well deserved!

A very emotional time for me as an alum of this corps indeed...

• Like 1

Yes.. we can still watch it on Fan Network too if we're subscribers.

BAC, once an iconic national high placing Corps in the 60's before the formation of DCI, fell back competitively in the 70's. It took them over 25 years of DCI competing to then make it back into DCI Finals, as they did here with this Corps in 1999. This was a happy moment for the Corps to finally achieve that elusive DCI Top 12 Finals status.

I can barely imagine what they must have felt. I'd love to hear some more reactions from those who were in the corps that year.

• Like 1

Living in ST. Louis at the time, I dropped everything and drove myself to Madison to witness for myself, BAC making finals. I had marched and taught for a member of years and watched the corps improve inch by inch over the many years and many near foldings. I could not have been more proud watching those kids enter the field Saturday night. I had no ticket when I arrived Sat afternoon but it didn't matter so long as I was there. I did get a ticket but I don't think I ever went to my seat. I also ran into a number of other alums who also made a last minute decision to be there for that incredible moment of accomplishment for the corps that would not die. In the words of Jim Valvano" don't give up, don't ever give up". BAC in 1999, did not and those kids created an entirely new legacy for themselves. It was a tremendous feeling.

• Like 6

Living in ST. Louis at the time, I dropped everything and drove myself to Madison to witness for myself, BAC making finals. I had marched and taught for a member of years and watched the corps improve inch by inch over the many years and many near foldings. I could not have been more proud watching those kids enter the field Saturday night. I had no ticket when I arrived Sat afternoon but it didn't matter so long as I was there. I did get a ticket but I don't think I ever went to my seat. I also ran into a number of other alums who also made a last minute decision to be there for that incredible moment of accomplishment for the corps that would not die. In the words of Jim Valvano" don't give up, don't ever give up". BAC in 1999, did not and those kids created an entirely new legacy for themselves. It was a tremendous feeling.

I can never tire of hearing these kind of stories...about pride and excitement in one's organization. Are there any other alums or parents out there who made a sprint to Madison to see DCI history in the making? (Or, even people associated with other corps who went to the World Championships at the last minute to be part of the history?)

I can never tire of hearing these kind of stories...about pride and excitement in one's organization. Are there any other alums or parents out there who made a sprint to Madison to see DCI history in the making? (Or, even people associated with other corps who went to the World Championships at the last minute to be part of the history?)

Wasn't able to make it to Madison that year Mike, but for those who did, I equate it to New England Red Sox fans who visited parents/grandparents grave sites the next day after they won in 2004.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

I was not able to make it. I was on a business trip and heard the good new on the road. So happy for everyone, Kids, staff, Alum. As the saying goes, A winner never quits and a quitter never wins.

I was not able to make it. I was on a business trip and heard the good new on the road. So happy for everyone, Kids, staff, Alum. As the saying goes, A winner never quits and a quitter never wins.

Beginning of the summer saw a very unlikely mixture of kids from different areas of the country and world. There was "team Japan", a group from Denmark, "Braddock, Miami, a group from St Louis, the anchor group of kids from the Boston area and various other places. I was in the Miami group and honestly had no clue as to what I was getting myself into. Over the span of the summer which included a bus accident, bus roach infestations, sicknesses and the normal woes that marching dci brings about, that unlikely mixture of kids evolved from being random groups of people into one solid family that I am so proud I was part of.

I remember after performing in semis the corps was brought to the edge of the field through one of the tunnels. We waited to hear our score and that of the corps that performed before and after us... The realization was not as impactful on me as it was on long time members and corps leadership but the moment was embroidered in my mind and the most significant achievement in my life up to that moment. The tears and smiles were abundant. Never had we sang more corps songs and "NaNas" than that night on the way back to the housing site!

I had the privelage to march 2 amazing years with the corps until I decided the Navy was the right direction for me and to this day the experiences and responsibility learned helped me survive.

Thanks for giving me the chance to reminisce some great times from my childhood..

Eat emm up Boston!

• Like 5

Thanks for giving me the chance to reminisce some great times from my childhood..

The pleasure is mine. Thanks for sharing.

Question: at 4:39-4:30 on the Fan Network video, there is a faint, breathy wolf-whistle. (This is just before the "Presto" from Arnold's English Dances concludes.) Is that whistle part of the show, or is it the audience?