Marvelous Minneapolis

yep. Looks like SCV's percussion is what kept them above Bluecoats. Looks like Crown is a very scant half point down, and it's mainly in percussion. If they clean that up, they could take it all. Also percussion kept Cavies above Scouts and Spirit, they came in 4th there. Which is odd because just earlier this week they were getting beat by Madison in percussion

Yeah, I don't buy that percussion spread. Coats have (in my opinion, not trying to rip anyone) a top 3 percussion program this season. Perhaps not ahead of Vanguard (although I'm not sure I'd put them first), but top 3.

• Like 2

I think they are friends or something... have built some camaraderie over the last few years? didn't scouts and scv play for each other after Allentown one year recently?

Hmm, news to me? I marched SCV and haven't really heard of a specific Madison/SCV connection.

I have nothing against the other corps. It just seems like year after year it is the same thing. The Scouts cannot break into the next tier. No matter what they do, or how much they improve. It is all political.

The Scouts visual program was very dirty, and they don't march particularly well. When the recaps go up, I'll be interested to see those scores. I'm betting that's what kept them down...

• Like 2

I agree that Madison shoulda been in front of Cavaliers and higher, but COME ON, trashing other corps to make you feel better about your owns disappointing score is just disrespectful. Be classy...I guess it's DCP. :thumbdown: I knew some people were going to flip about Madison. Some are handling it A LOT better, sometimes it's best not to post...

Yep. This. In the "The Fall" topic, I wanted to say Madison, only because of show order dynamics, but didn't want to deal with the DCPHate. This will all shake out next week...

Hmm, news to me? I marched SCV and haven't really heard of a specific Madison/SCV connection.

They played for each other in '09 at Allentown. There's video around if you look for it. The two corps have a history of support

well... I freely admit that I might be very wrong! haha

there are clips of Madison and SCV playing for each other on youtube though, from Allentown 2009 (i just looked for them to verify my memory)

I try to stay as far as possible from being critical of the judges, but GE Visual is all over the place tonight. It looks to be way out of whack with what all of the other judges saw and heard. I won't point out anything specific but take a look for yourself.

Edited by musclebud

Almost completely agree except for the BK. I can see this show falling out and Crossmen or some corps on the bubble taking that spot. After all the shows what i remember from BKs show (not counting the fact i know all of firebird suite) is synth and blobs. I watched 2 minutes of Crossmen (before internet went outthumbdown.gif) and i remember the opener song (got to love MJ) and the opening set. Therefore that little amount is more memorable to me than a whole BK show i watched.

Biggest mistake of the night was Madison in 9th. Crowd was into it, great show musically, and looked like the guard even stepped it up to end up with a 2 point drop and losing by a point to a group they have been 2 pting most of the year. If the judges were doing what they are supposed to we cant say bad draw or time slots. If the judge the same as every other non regional show Madison should have beat Cavies.

I'm new to this whole Drum Corps thing, so I don't know much about the scoring and how to make predictions. Now, please don't think I'm disputing anything you've said (I really don't know enough to dispute ANYONE), I just want to learn. So, if you will be so kind, could you answer a couple questions?

1. Which is more important...whether someone likes synth and such, whether a show's music is memorable or not, or whether the show is well executed? I'm more thinking about these issues from a judges point of view, I guess, since that's where the scores come from...right?

2. How important is it...in terms of scoring...that the spectators "get" the show?

I chose you to ask these questions because of your comments about how unmemorable BK's show is, but I would appreciate viewpoints from any other knowledgeable forum members.

Thank you.

Almost completely agree except for the BK. I can see this show falling out and Crossmen or some corps on the bubble taking that spot. After all the shows what i remember from BKs show (not counting the fact i know all of firebird suite) is synth and blobs. I watched 2 minutes of Crossmen (before internet went outthumbdown.gif) and i remember the opener song (got to love MJ) and the opening set. Therefore that little amount is more memorable to me than a whole BK show i watched.

Biggest mistake of the night was Madison in 9th. Crowd was into it, great show musically, and looked like the guard even stepped it up to end up with a 2 point drop and losing by a point to a group they have been 2 pting most of the year. If the judges were doing what they are supposed to we cant say bad draw or time slots. If the judge the same as every other non regional show Madison should have beat Cavies.

I don't expect everyone to agree with EVERYTHING I think ... not by any means. But give it a few more reads and you'll start to see some genius in that visual show. Marc Sylvester has his own unique style .... but the corps is VERY dirty visually. Then have a listen to the voicing and structure of some of that firebird work. It's astonishing. Who is arranging the show this year? I want to shake their hand.

Cavaliers scoring is interesting to me, the placed 4th in percussion. So we may have a 10-9th placing corps with a top 4 drumline. hmm